Sign in to follow this  
Kahnee

So then, getting divorced...

If anyone could point me towards the cheapest (I broke) and quickest (while we're still being civil to each other) that would be much appreciated.

Oh, and happy new year everyone. Like what you've done with the place

s*** news mate.

Not sure if process different in NI than to the mainland but my experience was to engage a solicitor who in turn engaged a brief. High Court job.

In short there was no dispute over access to the kids and in turn I signed over the house and paid over the odds each month than what my solicitor said he could wangle, I guess I did so because I was the one 'at fault'.Child Support Agency not involved. Judge at High Court was very impressed. Think the process took around 6 months (?) and cost me around £1500 - about 12/13 years ago.

If you feel you have both reached the point of no return then have it sorted.

BTW just finished John Bishop's book (6/10) and he sang the praises of Relate. Not sure if you would try that route but he thought them worthwhile.

sorry to hear that kahnee. same time please tell me this wasn't your first online port of call like? you've already sought expert help or vanished fast down a bottle?

Well I always like to try something new each year, and I've never been divorced before so...

Stevie - I didn't get where I am today by simply following the wise words of YNWA.

Oh, wait...

Oops mate but it happens to the best of us. My approach was dead simple my ex got the house and car I got to walk away from it. It needn't be expensive if you aren't contesting anything, try to resolve as much as you can between the two of you and there's little left, then all you need to is apply for the decree and wait.

Welcome to the club.................it's so much fun..............i left them to sort it out, that way didn't cost me anything...............we sold the house's, split what left over........I went to Disney World and had fun........don't get married again.................enjoy.

And no I wont be getting married a 3rd time.

Hit it with a hammer. or something.

Seriously s*** mate, gutted for you.

Me and th ex split last May and its a massive massive pain in the a***.

Best advice i can give you is make sure you put yourself first, get out of the house or put her out ASAP, and get on with your life.

We werent married though, so didnt have to bother with divorce and the like

Edited by Gunga Din

What Swan said. Try and do it yourselves if you're still communicating. Bit painful filling the forms in for the decree but better than paying someone to do it for you. Make sure you go to town on the reason for divorce. Ours got bounced first time around.

Went through this last Feb when I applied for a divorce, the actual divorce paper work is not too difficult.

So saved myself some money... but its the splitting of the assets which is costing me the solicitors fees as she

is being greedy.

In terms of myself ... it was the lowest point of my life.... Hit the drink for a month (I'm a Muslim, shows how bad it was)

Had a so called divorce month where I would get wasted 2/3 times a week

Picked myself up finally and a year later, I am with a new partner and the world is right again...

Edited by Owen1978

Bloody hell, Kahnee. Hope you are ok.

PM me if you want some insipid, cliched and, quite possibly, inappropriate advice.

The ending of a relationship is never an easy thing even if it's the best way forward for those involved.

I hope that you manage to remain civil to each other and sort everything out with the minnimum of hassle so that you can both move on.

All the best and take care.

Edited by ifanew

Sorry to hear about this Kahnee. If you are still wanting legal representation then I could speak to someone for you but they would be Birmingham based