By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

GCSE results day

Molby

f*** it, I'm going in

the boy got 13 A*s and an A

Wow. But 14 subjects is a heck of a lot - all academic or are there some vocational?

Basically, have you cheated the system and gone for quantity over quality? :D

Not that I am belittling anything at all - that's one hell of an achievement.

Congratulations to his mother for passing on her brains.

Congratulations.

Did you give him a clip round the ear for the A?

yes, 'cos it was in French

Wow. But 14 subjects is a heck of a lot - all academic or are there some vocational?

Basically, have you cheated the system and gone for quantity over quality? biggrin.gif

Not that I am belittling anything at all - that's one hell of an achievement.

Congratulations to his mother for passing on her brains.

like woodwork and stuff?

not that I know of but there is at least one duff one in there, forget the name

so what happens about your daughter then, do our kids have a straightener or do we merge the families and put our feet up?

congrats btw

make one wonder....about all kinds of things

You win.

I think a joining of the families should certainly be considered.

My daughter took 3 a year early (summer 2013) and got a A* and 2 As. Today she got 8 A*s (all in legit subjects, though ;) )

'Interestingly', between my two kids they have done 22 GCSEs and got 18 A*s and 4 As.

Congratulations all round. The smugathon continues. :D

As you say, it does make you wonder about all sorts of things - in my (costly) experience, many of these thoughts are best kept quiet from offspring/(ex-)spouses.

Bloody hell - that's reason to be smug

I hope you don't have a third kid who might risk getting a B - the pressure might get to him/her!

Question is though, what does that get one (not you as we know you're lumbered with the bill) but what are they translating that into (beyond the knowledge and learning they will have with them for the rest of their lives)?

When I did mine (O Levels back then though) the number of results I got was in double figures because I sat some subjects for more than one exam board. Some stupid idea of the head's because he thought that some examining boards were looked upon more favourably by certain unis, employers etc. than others. I think he still thought it was 1908.

When I did mine (O Levels back then though) the number of results I got was in double figures because I sat some subjects for more than one exam board. Some stupid idea of the head's because he thought that some examining boards were looked upon more favourably by certain unis, employers etc. than others. I think he still thought it was 1908.

Haha - I have never heard of that. That really sounds like someone was trying to cheat the system.

If I do have a third kid, I'll keep that quiet from my spouse too ;)/>

What are you referring to in your (2nd para) question?

That many subjects at top grades... Does it shape the A level choices/ number of subjects in any way? Do GCSEs get looked at for Uni applications etc. I can't remember.

I was guessing they are on the family payroll for a while yet...

That many subjects at top grades... Does it shape the A level choices/ number of subjects in any way? Do GCSEs get looked at for Uni applications etc. I can't remember.

Uni offers are made on the basis of A/S grades, GCSE grades, predicted A Level grades (plus all the accompanying personal statement s***) so they definitely have a bearing.

My daughter is going to a different college for sixth form - I have no doubt that they will encourage her to take more (5) subjects for A/S next year and also they will push her for Oxbridge. Part of that will no doubt involve them trying to get her to take 'harder' subjects than she has currently selected (i.e. take Maths, take Economics rather than Business Studies etc.) but I reckon she'll stick to her current plans ... we shall see.

Up the number of total passes and the average per pupil with no extra study, courses or teachers. Magic.

Genius.

Pupils getting 16 GCSEs ... in just 4 subjects.

Oh yes, they will both no doubt remain cost centres for the foreseeable future!

Bloody hell - that's reason to be smug

I hope you don't have a third kid who might risk getting a B - the pressure might get to him/her!

Question is though, what does that get one (not you as we know you're lumbered with the bill) but what are they translating that into (beyond the knowledge and learning they will have with them for the rest of their lives)?

he needed decent results just to get back in to his school for A levels (minimum 2 Bs in English and Maths for example, regardless of subjects)

he's doing sciences and thinks he wants to study medicine, do the Oxbridge exams etc

the best bit was this was free - grammar school