By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Gerry Adams arrested

The Hitman

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought he'd always denied that he was ever part of the IRA.

Has he ever sued anyone for saying he was?

Mr Adams previously said legal advice suggests turning to the courts to defend his name would be “financially beyond” his means

I thought he'd always denied that he was ever part of the IRA.

Has he ever sued anyone for saying he was?

He's always been suitably vague on the subject.

He has always denied being a member, but in the same breath would say he is proud to be associated with them,

they'll never get anything to stick.

off all the scummy things that were done during the troubles, the Disappeared cases are probably the most cowardly and cruel of them all

aye man...the denials, lies spread about victims, saying theyd been seen alive in other places etc....giving families hope that they may still be alive etc and knowing the whole time theyd dispatched them....nasty f***ing business in a nasty f***ing country populated by nasty f***ing people.

still its home eh.

Best for who? Not the McConville's. Norn Iron essentially traded justice for peace, it's yet to be seen if that will stick in the long term. Surprised about this though, thought he and Marty were both touts Teflon.

Edited by Crazy Horse

Best for who? Not the McConville's. Norn Iron essentially traded justice for peace, it's yet to be seen if that will stick in the long term. Surprised about this though, thought he and Marty were both touts Teflon.

I'm not sure I agree that it's best for the McConville's and I don't agree that NI traded justice for peace, there didn't seem to be a massive amount of justice in the north. I do think the process is fragile enough that unless there's clear evidence of a crime and almost guarantee's a conviction that that cen be best left unopened.

"Mr Adams previously said legal advice suggests turning to the courts to defend his name would be “financially beyond” his means"

Even though Sinn Féin are one of the richest political parties in Europe?

I doubt he'd be allowed to use party funds to pursue a libel prosecution in his own name.

It's probably best that it doesn't

not really best for her 10 children who have been waiting 40 years for juctice to be done

"Mr Adams previously said legal advice suggests turning to the courts to defend his name would be "financially beyond" his means"

Even though Sinn Féin are one of the richest political parties in Europe?

all their MPs, MLAs and TDs take an industrial wage

I'm not sure I agree that it's best for the McConville's and I don't agree that NI traded justice for peace, there didn't seem to be a massive amount of justice in the north. I do think the process is fragile enough that unless there's clear evidence of a crime and almost guarantee's a conviction that that cen be best left unopened.

the bit in bold i agree with. But if there is evidence to convict, then surely he has to go before the courts to stand trial, regardless of who he is.

the alternative being that everything that happened prior to a certain date, say, the signing of the Good Friday Agreement, gets an amnesty.

Edited by Gunga Din

The timing is interesting, given the European and Local elections down South are within 3 weeks. FF, Labour & FG would have all expect to make gains from SF getting bad publicity from this (FF probably the most).

The timing is interesting, given the European and Local elections down South are within 3 weeks. FF, Labour & FG would have all expect to make gains from SF getting bad publicity from this (FF probably the most).

Which makes it quite strange that he handed himself in before the elections, when Sinn Féin are making huge gains down south.

It almost feels hypocritical that us of all people could support the view that people should not pursue their fight for justice, even if there is a bigger picture in play.

I think about justice for ours every week, I couldn't sign up to that.

It almost feels hypocritical that us of all people could support the view that people should not pursue their fight for justice, even if there is a bigger picture in play.

I think about justice for ours every week, I couldn't sign up to that.

It's not that simple. There may be a cost that you think justice always trumps I'm not sure and I don't think we can conflate entirely different campaigns. I may be wrong but I don't think it's hypocritical to consider different campaigns on merit.

I'm also not claiming that I know enough here to hold a strong position

It's not that simple. There may be a cost that you think justice always trumps I'm not sure and I don't think we can conflate entirely different campaigns. I may be wrong but I don't think it's hypocritical to consider different campaigns on merit.

I'm also not claiming that I know enough here to hold a strong position

Me neither mate and it certainly is not simple.

In fact, I am being very simplistic about it. It's more about how the thought of it makes me feel as opposed to the merits of the point.

But I do maintain that we of all people should understand that burning need more than most.

That's the problem though. All sides in this situation feel they are/were fighting for justice. But like Wayne said earlier, there seems no justification for the Disappeared in most right thinking people's minds.

It's best that the guilty get punished and we don't let murderers run free.

I'm not sure. Convicted murderers were released as a part of the process, was it wrong that they were?

If Adams was convicted he would only serve two years, it's a paltry concept of Justice.

Convicted of what?