By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Florence

The Hitman

Go to an ice cream place called Grom, their signature ice cream is the best ice cream I've ever had.

It's a couple of streets back from the duomo.

The Easter ceremony in/around the cathedral is definitely worth watching, should hopefully finish before the match.

Edited by cymrococh

Just take it all in. It's a stunning place.

Definitely go to the Galleria dell'Accademia to see the Statue of David. When you turn the corner of the corridor where it stands at the bottom, it's total perfection will take your breath away.

Hooray!

After three previous unsuccessful attempts, Duc has finally worked out the correct gallery name

Good work, sir!

There was an episode of Civilisation with Kenneth Clark discussing Michaelangelo's David and while it seemed impressive did little for me. I get I wasn't viewing it in a gallery, not even one where it had never been exhibited.

I'm going to stop taking the piss out of DD for this.

Definitely go up the Duomo. The view from the top is stunning. Don't attempt it if you're knackered or drunk. The steps are ludicrously steep.

If you're feeling flush, do this - http://500touringclub.com/. It's well worth it for the drive up into the Tuscan hills. The views are utterly stunning. Italian drivers are lunatics though.

Florence is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever been to. I really can't recommend it enough.

I lived there twenty years ago so I don't know if this bar still exists, but La Ribotta, near the Duomo, used to show English games in the big screen in the back room. It was run by three fanatical Fiorentina fans. As others have said the city itself is magnificent and worth discovering.

The people who work in the Fiorentina club shop were dicks when I went in there. Was having a good old remenisce with them about Batistuta and Rui Costa and then they started going on about how much they loved Liverpool, which I was fine with until they said that it was because of Heysel. I asked them why and they said that they hated Juventus because they stole Roberto Baggio from them. Unbelievable.

The people who work in the Fiorentina club shop were dicks when I went in there. Was having a good old remenisce with them about Batistuta and Rui Costa and then they started going on about how much they loved Liverpool, which I was fine with until they said that it was because of Heysel. I asked them why and they said that they hated Juventus because they stole Roberto Baggio from them. Unbelievable.

I was in a coffee shop in Amsterdam about 20 years ago and got a similar line from a Torino fan, minus the Baggio bit. Was very weird

I was in a coffee shop in Amsterdam about 20 years ago and got a similar line from a Torino fan, minus the Baggio bit. Was very weird

What exactly do you say in a situation like that.

"Er, right, well I thought it was a bit sh*t really, all those people dying and everything. Anyway, I'd best dash."

"Er, right, well I thought it was a bit sh*t really, all those people dying and everything. Anyway, I'd best dash."

Was very weird, the Floyd cafe had a football violence video of some sorts on, got talking to these Italian lads who seemed alright, asked them where they were from said Turin, they asked me and I was kinda nervous about saying Liverpool at which point they congratulated me and offered me a pipe.

I passed

Well, on a more positive note, I was in an accommodation booking office in Rome train station and just remarked on a Lazio mug sitting on the table. The two guys working there immediately threw me daggers with their eyes, so, with a big smile and a pat on my chest, I proudly said "Liverpool".

They took to me straight away, smiling and shouting about us beating Roma in the European Cup.

They got us a fantastic place right at the top of the Spanish Steps for a pittance.

The Yank they were initialliy ignoring didn't have a clue what was going on.

I told them that they were idiots and left. They shouted "vaffanculo" at me, which I now know is basically Italian for "go f*** yourself."

Talking of Nazis, I did a tour at work today with a family from Edinburgh and a guy with his kids from the Shankill Road.

The talk always comes round to footie cos George Best was buried from our place.

So, I find out the couple from Edinburgh are split by Hearts and Hibs and I just said to the guy from the Shankill that I thought he'd be more for Rangers. He said no, didn't follow Scottish football or the Irish league "especially since Linfield signed a black catholic".

I was totally gob-smacked!

This cretin has young kids. This country is f*cked.