By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Wsidom Tooth

kop205

Got one being taken out on 2nd December.

Anyone had this done?

Being done at the hospital cos it apparently has come through at an awkward angle.

How much is it going to hurt? What about recovery time? Am I back into work that day? Having it done at 9am.

Got one being taken out on 2nd December.

Anyone had this done?

Being done at the hospital cos it apparently has come through at an awkward angle.

How much is it going to hurt? What about recovery time? Am I back into work that day? Having it done at 9am.

are you having a general anaesthetic?

I had one out and it was fine. Unlike your spelling :bleh:/>/>/>

Ha...true.

As long as you avoid any permanent nerve damage you'll be fine.

The nerve apparently runs very close to the tip of the root...they've said nerve damage is a slightly higher chance than normal, though still low.

are you having a general anaesthetic?

Nah, just local.

No point going for general unless it is really needed. They did offer sedation but I'd have to wait for a later date if I went with that.

Edited by kop205

I had all four out at once. It was horrific. I had to pretend I was getting tortured by the Nazi's. I just had valium because I don't like getting knocked out.

The roots cracking, the dentists knee in the chest, the twisting and the pulling. It was absolutely brutal.

But here's a good tip. DO NOT rinse your mouth out for three days after it gets done. You will get dry sockets if you do and it is supposed to be agony. I just took massive painkillers and dealth with my mouth feeling like someone took a dump in it. But, I got over it all pretty quickly.

Get yourself the full series of Breaking Bad or the Soprano's and hunker down, watch the lot, and feel miserable. But do the lot at once. Why go through it multiple times?

Edited by New York Red

But do the lot at once. Why go through it multiple times?

The others are fine.

In fact, so is this one,but it is causing some problems in the tooth into which it is angled.

Right, so looks like best case = back into work the next day; worst case = couple of days off.

The others are fine.

In fact, so is this one,but it is causing some problems in the tooth into which it is angled.

Right, so looks like best case = back into work the next day; worst case = couple of days off.

I was exactly the same, tooth had gone crooked and was pushing into the one beside it. I kept putting off doing anything about it. Then I get an abscess in the other tooth which focused my mind a lot more. Big welsh Rugby playing dentist got some hook like instrument under the wisdom tooth and grunted a bit, then there was a horrific breaking sensation/noise which gave me the wobbles, and mostly that was it. I followed the instructions afterwards, was very careful about not sucking anything or rinsing etc, just gentle washes inside the mouth. Wasn't much pain that I remember, just general discomfort. Though I had the abscess thing looked after at the same time so can't fully remember what was what. But wouldn't fear getting a wisdom tooth done again if I had to. The lower ones mind are easy to manage afterwards, what with gravity helping keep things in place.

I've had 3 out in the last year (one in one visit then the other 2 the next visit...).

I think there's a large degree of luck involved in terms of how much pain you have afterwards / what sort of recovery you have. I actually went back to work after having the first one pulled, and both times I had prescriptions for Oxy, but was never in enough pain to fill them. I think I was lucky in that I had a very good dental surgeon, no complications, and I'm pretty healthy generally, which obviously helped with recovery. I didn't even have any noticeable swelling ...I also just had local, and no sedation.

Felt uncomfortable for 48 hours - and obviously occasionally painful, but over the counter paracetamol was enough to deal with the pain I had.

The actual act of having the teeth pulled is not great fun. Certainly made me think. that the expression "like pulling teeth" is really not a good comparison for anything except actually having teeth pulled.

Had three out in one go. They did it with locals and some sedation. Top left and bottom right came out without issue but the bottom left was a nightmare. The dentist gave me a jab then started trying to get it out but the anaesthetic wouldnt work. Tried again and again but no joy. Finished up drilling into the tooth and then giving me a jab directly into the tooth, that did the trick and out it came. The wife said I looked white as a ghost afterwards and the left side of my face blew up like a balloon for a week. Sounds like I was unlucky from what you guys have said.

I 'accidently' had root canal surgery last year. 'Accidently' in the Withnail sense.

I had a program of dental work set out for me and one of the procedures was a root canal removal. I went to my appointment thinking I was just having a filling that day - about an hour and a half in I realised that there was something coming out, not being put in.

The £750 bill was something I hadn't planned for that day either.