By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Madeleine McCann Crimewatch

Earl Hafler

So last night Kate pretty much admitted that she returned to check on the kids but initially didn't bother to check Madeleine - it was only the wind catching the door as she closed it which made her enter the bedroom and look.

And why were the police focusing on only one instance of a man seen carrying a child near the McCann's apartments ? The 9.15 instance has been accounted for and now in 2013 they're focusing on that of 10pm. 6 years on and they release an efit ?

Would a pre-planned kidnapping conclude with the child being carried through public streets instead of being placed into a vehicle ?

It's like they've only just talked to Kate's dinner companion who saw the man at 9:15 or thought "hmmm, an e-fit would be good". It is odd.

I'm not sure whether these are important new leads or whether they just cloud everything even more.

Is it politically incorrect to state that the parents were completely negligent in this matter?

I hope you're not accusing them of drugging their kids for convenience sake, accidentally killing Madeline and disposing of her body themselves and having their friends cover for them.

It's all very odd - I thought last night's show was built up to disclose some revolutionary new information ... and then it all felt a bit of a let-down.

There is obviously something at play that we're not aware of - I think that the fact that the family seem so optimistic seems a little incongruous with the bare facts as they were presented.

Admittedly it does seem a little odd* that they left their kids alone at night, but that's not the point at all.

It's been going on so long that I can only believe that the Police would have found something to implicate the McCanns themselves if there was any suspicion around them at all ... so you have to take this at face value, in my opinion.

* 'odd' as in it never occurred to us when our kids were young to leave them alone in an apartment when we were on holiday, but maybe more people do that than you realise???

Were they negligent? Yes, and I'm sure they're devastated by that. It isn't however an excuse for somebody breaking into there apartment and abducting their daughter.

To much lesser extent it's like forgetting to shut a window and then getting burgled. You were negligent, but it doesn't excuse the person who's taken your things.

Were they negligent? Yes, and I'm sure they're devastated by that. It isn't however an excuse for somebody breaking into there apartment and abducting their daughter.

To much lesser extent it's like forgetting to shut a window and then getting burgled. You were negligent, but it doesn't excuse the person who's taken your things.

I agree with the first part but you're making it sound as though they forgot that she was left alone in the apartment - it's not like "forgetting to shut a window" at all.

There's no way I'd leave my kids at that age and bugger off for a meal and drinks with people. They should've had that in one of their rooms. If they weren't a "professional couple" they'd have been hauled over the coals by the press for being so negligent.

But, that said, you would still hope against all hope that she is still alive and they find her.

There's no way I'd leave my kids at that age and bugger off for a meal and drinks with people. They should've had that in one of their rooms. If they weren't a "professional couple" they'd have been hauled over the coals by the press for being so negligent.

But they are a "professional couple" and they're being hauled over the coals by you anyway.

If they weren't a "professional couple" they'd have been hauled over the coals by the press for being so negligent.

Pure speculation that - I don't think that'd be the case at all, given all the circumstances.

I agree with the first part but you're making it sound as though they forgot that she was left alone in the apartment - it's not like "forgetting to shut a window" at all.

That's not the point I was making really. It's a clumsily analogy. What I was getting at, was just because there's an opportunity to do something, isn't an excuse for doing it. Because she was unattended isn't an excuse for taking her. The abduction is far, far worse than the negligence.

I agree it's weird to have left their children unattended. That idea would never occur to me. Maybe it happens more than I think, it would never occur to me to do something like that, and I'm sure if it did I'd discount it as an appalling idea. I'm sure they regret and find that decision almost impossible to bear each day.

Edited by Rushiesbushymoustache

That's not the point I was making really. It's a clumsily analogy. What I was getting at, was just because there's an opportunity to do something, is an excuse for doing it. Because she was unattended isn't an excuse for taking her. The abduction is far, far worse than the negligence.

Agree totally.

Quite sad that some people can't seem to get past "they shouldn't have left her in the apartment, should they?" or even come up with some pathetic conspiracy theory.

But they are a "professional couple" and they're being hauled over the coals by you anyway.

I'd make the same case against anyone who did the same thing, but we can all imagine how the Mail would've thrown everything at the story if it was an inner city lower skilled family for instance. I don't think there would've been such a degree of sympathy for them.

We can imagine that yes, but what's the point?

Fair enough. I do feel for them very much though. Your kids going missing is your worst nightmare, but there's no way of knowing exactly how that feels unless it happens to you.

I would hope they catch the c**** that took her, but the punishment would fall far short of what I'd do to them.

Agree with what was said earlier, there must be more to this investigation than they're letting on.

nobody could do anything to punish those parents for leaving the kids alone that they haven't done to themselves.

I saw mentioned (for the first time that I'd seen) that there was a childcare center onsite.

its a hell of a price to pay for saving yourself 20 quid in childcare fees...

I would hope they catch the c**** that took her, but the punishment would fall far short of what I'd do to them.

Are you borrowing NYR's room for this? Will it be the obligatory 5 minutes?