By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Cassini takes picture of Earth

Jim D

Nasa has released photos of the Earth and Moon taken by a spacecraft orbiting Saturn - nearly a billion miles away.

Our planet and its only satellite appear only as dots in the picture, which was taken by the Cassini spacecraft on 19 July.

Scientists wanted to pay homage to the "Pale Blue Dot" image captured by the Voyager 1 probe in 1990.

_68899415_68899414.jpg

Amazing

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it really? What part did you think you played in the universe before you saw the picture of some dots?

It's a billion miles away. I think that's pretty amazing but if you've been drained of wonder and delight at the cosmos then take it out on Patrick Moore's grave or Prof Brian Cox's hair, not me.

It's a billion miles away. I think that's pretty amazing but if you've been drained of wonder and delight at the cosmos then take it out on Patrick Moore's grave or Prof Brian Cox's hair, not me.

I struggle to be filled with wonder and delight at the revelation that the earth and moon look tiny from far away.

I struggle to be filled with wonder and delight at the revelation that the earth and moon look tiny from far away.

You're not even impressed by the fact that we can now see them from that far away?

You're not even impressed by the fact that we can now see them from that far away?

I'm impressed by the technical feat, but I don't understand how it's humbling.

I realise I'm a bit of a killjoy about space stuff though, it's all too abstract for me to get interested in.

Edited by cymrococh

how long has that light taken to get there, and then how long to get here - if you could zoom in dead good would you see loads and loads of dinosaurs on the ol' ones and twos or what and that?

Sun is about 9 million miles away, light takes eight minutes to get here. So a billion miles means about a day and a half. So there would still be time to send telepathic messages to Ian Ayre telling him it might be an idea to lay off the beak later on.

how long has that light taken to get there, and then how long to get here - if you could zoom in dead good would you see loads and loads of dinosaurs on the ol' ones and twos or what and that?

:lol: dinosaurs? Doubt you're being serious but just in case it takes just a few minutes i'm guessing 8 to 10 so I doubt that there would be any dinosaurs.

Sun is about 9 million miles away, light takes eight minutes to get here. So a billion miles means about a day and a half. So there would still be time to send telepathic messages to Ian Ayre telling him it might be an idea to lay off the beak later on.

About an hour and half for light to get to Saturn.

Oh and I think smithdown is joking.

Edited by Gerry

We can see some galaxies now that 'sent' their light to our eyeballs about 8 billion years before there was even a Sun or an Earth. So probably not that far to see dinosaurs, relatively speaking.

What do you want to do with these dinosaurs anyway?

If we go far away enough that we should be able to see them, but don't see them, it's proof of the intelligent design theory that postulates god put the fossiles here to test us.

That's some hard science right there.

We can see some galaxies now that 'sent' their light to our eyeballs about 8 billion years before there was even a Sun or an Earth. So probably not that far to see dinosaurs, relatively speaking.

Tutor them in the ways of righteousness.

It'd be better.