By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Northern lights

The Hitman

Looking to arrange a few days away next January for the wife's birthday, and I was thinking about doing a trip to one of the Scandi/Nordic countries to go see the Northern Lights.

Now we're all about 25-30ish and are looking to do some wilderness type stuff,as well as a couple of nights in a city somewhere for good food/bars etc. I knew we've a few folk on here from that part of the world, or who might have been on holiday there.

Has anybody got any recommendations? Probably around a 7 day trip maximum.

Looking to sort something for January 2014 - anybody got any tips for a decently priced, warm holiday?

Looking to arrange a few days away next January for the wife's birthday, and I was thinking about doing a trip to one of the Scandi/Nordic countries to go see the Northern Lights.

Now we're all about 25-30ish and are looking to do some wilderness type stuff,as well as a couple of nights in a city somewhere for good food/bars etc. I knew we've a few folk on here from that part of the world, or who might have been on holiday there.

Has anybody got any recommendations? Probably around a 7 day trip maximum.

Scandinavia won't be warm in January.

HTH.

We went to Finnish Lapland for the day before Christmas to see Father Christmas

http://www.magicoflapland.net/glass-igloo.html

and saw the Northern Lights

In January last year we did a 3/4 day trip including the Ice Hotel in Sweden, snowmobiling, log cabin, dog sledging etc

http://www.simplysweden.co.uk/

and also saw the Northern Lights

-21 c when we took off from Kiruna airport at lunchtime, so it can get a bit parky

I know we have a few Icelanders on here (including myself). I'd imagine Iceland would be the perfect place except you're not exactly going to be able to do any wilderness stuff because of the weather.

Instead you might be able to go snowmobiling, skiing or something wintery.

Reykjavík does have excellent nightlife and some very good cuisines as well!

We went to Tromsø in Feb, stayed at Lauklines Kystferie and loved it. It's a few log cabins on the side of a fjord, 30km away from the town, so there's no light pollution and you can see the Northern Lights from the deck of your cabin rather than having to spend the night driving around the countryside in a minibus as a lot of people do (assuming you're lucky enough to be there on a night when there's a display, we saw them four nights out of seven). The nice thing is that the gulf stream means that the weather is relatively mild - even though it's in the Arctic Circle, the temp. was only -2 Celsius when we were there, and being so far north increases your chances of seeing the lights. Therre are various outdoor activities you could do like husky-sleds, snow-mobiles, cross-country skiing etc. although they're a bit pricy (think that would be true wherever you go in Scandinavia). It's no good for bars/restaurants (Lauklines is self-catering) but it could be combined with a few days in Oslo for that side of things.

I'd also second what people have said about Reykjavik, great city, chances of seeing the lights probably aren't as high there though.

We saw them a few years back when we were in Thunder Bay , Canada. We went out into the middle of nowhere with no light pollution. It was bloody freezing, but absolutely spectacular.

My brother was at an RAF base in Northern Scotland and used to see them regularly.

You just have to hope for a clear sky.

A good fit for us,good booze/bars/food?

its a fantastic night out. great bars, great restauarnts, people are great, bars open all night, then the Blue Lagoon to lie about to take your mind from the hangover. Regular flights from Manchester as well. plus if the weathers clear, your far enough North to give yourself a real chance of seeing the lights

We saw them a few years back when we were in Thunder Bay , Canada. We went out into the middle of nowhere with no light pollution. It was bloody freezing, but absolutely spectacular.

My brother was at an RAF base in Northern Scotland and used to see them regularly.

This site is very useful too:

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/Europe/2013/07/11

We went to Finnish Lapland for the day before Christmas to see Father Christmas

http://www.magicoflapland.net/glass-igloo.html

and saw the Northern Lights

In January last year we did a 3/4 day trip including the Ice Hotel in Sweden, snowmobiling, log cabin, dog sledging etc

http://www.simplysweden.co.uk/

and also saw the Northern Lights

-21 c when we took off from Kiruna airport at lunchtime, so it can get a bit parky

Inghams also do winter holidays to Finnish Lapland (including direct flights from Manchester if you're up north).

I've been about a dozen times and you cannot tell how cold it's going to be. Most often it's in the range -10C to -20C. But I've seen it around -5C and as low as -40C.

If you can only do one of the "add-ons", I'd recommend the husky sledding.

The main problem with going early January is the lack of light. If you can hang on a few weeks then it makes quite a difference

Edited by Janet

I live in Scotland - would like to be able to take a short(ish) trip to see them - where was he based? Lossiemouth? I've no idea about the best time of year to do this either!