By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Washington DC

Cunny

What is Washington DC like as a place to go for a few days as a tourist?

Apart from the political buildings, Smithsonian, Capital Parks is there much else to see and do?

Thinking of going across next year for 2 to 3 weeks and going to 3 different cities. NYC (again) is a definite but thinking of going to one or two of Washington DC, Boston, Philadelphia or Chicago.

I was pleasantly surprised with DC. Very nice city.

The White House isn't as splendid looking as you'd think though.

We went in Jan/Feb and it was cold as f***. Apparently it's better in spring/summer as (like a lot of America) they're big into outdoor events.

Chicago is a must. Boston too.

In order of priority for visits, I'd say do NY, DC, Boston, Chicago, Philly.

DC is fantastic. You could spend three days just seeing the stuff on either side of the Mall.

Chicago is a lovely city, but for tourisy stuff, it lacks a bit. The steak however is the best in the world.

DC is fantastic. You could spend three days just seeing the stuff on either side of the Mall.

Chicago is a lovely city, but for tourisy stuff, it lacks a bit. The steak however is the best in the world.

I could just stare at the Bean for a few days. It's ace.

God, that really is a weird thing isn't it? My son got me to look at that with him a few weeks back. Very cool thing.

The Navy Pier was rubbish though.

It's a city I just loved walking around. The museum is ace too. Got to see Nighthawks.

Beer is top notch as well.

Chicago is easily the best city in the US I've visited.

Navy Pier is a tourist trap. The museums and galleries there are second to none. The parks are great especially Millennium Park, but Grant Park and Lincoln Park are good too. The out-door art is impressive, the theatre scene there is great. The aquarium is very cool. Hancock building and that whole stretch of Michigan Ave is great, and for a sports fans, nowhere better.

But yeah, DC is very nice, you can see a LOT there in a short amount of time. 2/3 days you will see so much.

I's pretty much agree with that - although I'd say there's a huge gap between the first 4 and Philly. I lived near Philly for a couple of years - There's a few things to see, it's unfriendly, dirty and crime ridden.

Apart from the political buildings, Smithsonian, Capital Parks is there much else to see and do?

I suggest you also have a look at Old Town Alexandria and such, along with the usual. Old school place with loads of history and shopping. Georgetown is another fun place to roam. If you're coming with family, especially kids, look up Luray Caverns (should be a 90-120 minute drive from DC). Its pretty unique. http://luraycaverns.com

There's brilliant trekking trails and camping opportunities in the Shenandoah Valley if you're into that. Also a lot of wineries in the area that do tastings and such if you're interested in wine.

I's pretty much agree with that - although I'd say there's a huge gap between the first 4 and Philly. I lived near Philly for a couple of years - There's a few things to see, it's unfriendly, dirty and crime ridden.

I wouldn't. Chicago, NYC........................... the rest.

any DC hotel recommendations?

If you dont mind spending a little extra, do Arlington. There's a lot you can do in Arlington as well. Else, Vienna, Alexandria or Bethesda/Silver Spring would be decent options as well. Try to stay as close to the metro as possible (almost guaranteed with Arlington), which'll let you save some money on cab rides.