By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Piano

charlie clown

I play a little but only really simple stuff and mostly only in C major or A minor (=white keys only. That's not racist, it's just a technical issue). I'd love to be able to play properly. It's nice to be able to play chords and melody at the same time, something that's trickier on guitar.

I play a little but only really simple stuff and mostly only in C major or A minor (=white keys only. That's not racist, it's just a technical issue). I'd love to be able to play properly. It's nice to be able to play chords and melody at the same time, something that's trickier on guitar.

That's it exactly it - I've played the guitar for years and never got that good at it, but within a few months on the piano I can work out how chords are structured, and play chords and melody together - it's a joyous thing to do, and even though I'm pathetically slow and halting, I'm just really (and probably disproportionately) pleased with the little I can do.

Anyone play? Mrs.Clown bought me one for our wedding anniversary this year so I've been trying to learn for the past few months. Finally getting the hang of it, and beginning to string a few tunes together now. Very happy with it.

Can you play the Side Board song yet?

I got a piano a couple of years ago and totally agree about it being easier than guitar. I've been teaching myself based on what I've picked up on guitar and bass and its been much easier picking out chords and different voicings.

I got onto Erik Satie pieces as soon as I could, there are quite a few difficult chords to get your head around here and there but rhythmically they're not too hard.

I'm nowhere near Satie level yet, just doing basic songs, albeit some of them with slightly jazzy arangements - Moon River and the like - but it does feel like, with a bit of dedication and practice and that basic knowledge of how chords work, that I could probably play a fair bit of stuff that was put in front of me. If allowance was made, of course, for me playing it horribly badly for a couple of months before I got somewhere near to a slow but almost recognisable version of the real thing.

Anyone play? Mrs.Clown bought me one for our wedding anniversary this year so I've been trying to learn for the past few months. Finally getting the hang of it, and beginning to string a few tunes together now. Very happy with it.

Been learning this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6SAuHY9HOs

After doing some David Gray, Adele or Massive Attack. Would kill to be able to play Clair De Lune.

Really would like to play properly although I am quite good at improvising.

For the stuff I (try to) play I have to learn the left hand first and the the right and then fit it together. It's all very mechanical and if I deviate from it at all it turns into a mess. For me playing properly is being good at improvising. Being able to do that freely is the kind of proper playing I'd like to be able to do.

Hi Charlie

I started to learn from scratch the summer before last (at 38). I don't get a lot of time to practice but I really enjoy it. Practice is definitely the key, it's a long old road to getting really good but at my age that's part of the fun of it.

Have used a few books, but I love the Tim Richards Blues one. It's quite challenging but it gets the left hand going. I went on a course in the summer and it was way too advanced but I did see people with ipads with loads of sheet music on there which I thought was a really good idea.

There's also an app called i real b which has drums and bass on it, so you can set it going and then join in with the chords or melody, which is great for your timing and good fun.

There's loads of good stuff on youtube as well, of differing levels of difficulty, but you can pick loads up off there. (Have alook at pianojohn113 I think, loads of Beatles ones, Let it be is do-able with a bit of practice)

Edited by Ed the Wool

A friend of mine, big hard f*cker, played footie, watches footie, loves a bet, loves an argument, tats all over him, you get the picture..

Plays the piano, I mean PROPER plays the piano, it's astonishing seeing him, he's brilliant.

He practices every day,that's why he's so good, it's a wonderful thing to do. My old fella played the piano accordion,he learned whilst in the navy, my brother played the trombone at school,my BIL is a quality guitarist, me I haven't got a musical bone in my body, f*ck off Purslow.

Go for it CC.

Edited by Murphman

I used to be good but I haven't been able to practise regularly on a real piano for about fifteen years. Definitely on my lottery-winnings list.

A friend of mine, big hard f*cker, played footie, watches footie, loves a bet, loves an argument, tats all over him, you get the picture..

Plays the piano, I mean PROPER plays the piano, it's astonishing seeing him, he's brilliant.

Haha, every time you refer to a mate of yours who has a non-stereotypically 'man's man' pastime you do that whole intro where you make it painfully clear that he is in fact as hard as they come! :D

Bought a Yamaha Clavinova last year, it's the b****x.. weighted synthetic ivory keys etc..

Always fancied playing the piano, been learning the guitar for about a year.. the skills are completely transferable.

If you understand theory at all, you can start to play straight away really.. I still can't read music though, I think that's next!

[quote name='Coyler' timestamp='1353354253' post='3320900't

Haha, every time you refer to a mate of yours who has a non-stereotypically 'man's man' pastime you do that whole intro where you make it painfully clear that he is in fact as hard as they come! :D/>/>

It's a fair shout generally but watching him sit down then play is like seeing John Terry open his mouth and sing opera. :)/

Edited by Murphman

I teach an old piano teacher how to use her laptop in exchange for piano lessons for my youngest son. They were gonna be for me, but he said he wanted to learn and we are glad he did, he is flying with it. Currently using a keyboard at home to practice, but we are getting a piano in the next few weeks. Its free if we pay for moving it, when it gets here, he is teaching me! :)