By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Moving House

Tommy Cockles

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I promised myself after doing it the last time 5 years ago I wasn't doing it again.

Hope this helps :)

If you haven't found the right place can I ask why you're moving as it may have some bearing on how to approach it.

One thing I regret not doing is not using moving as an opportunity to get rid of s*** we'd accumulated. We moved it instead and still haven't gotten rid of it.

I promised myself after doing it the last time 5 years ago I wasn't doing it again.

Hope this helps :)

If you haven't found the right place can I ask why you're moving as it may have some bearing on how to approach it.

One thing I regret not doing is not using moving as an opportunity to get rid of s*** we'd accumulated. We moved it instead and still haven't gotten rid of it.

Ha! Cheers.

I've got a couple of places in mind but I wanted to get mine on the market before I start viewing.

Yeah I am dreading the clear out that needs to happen. Loft. Shed. Garage. Spare room.

Its going to be vile.

Well the house is going on the market. Estate Agent has been instructed. Now got to find the right place.

Last did it 9 years ago. Am I ready for all the aggro?

Meh.

Any moving house tips/thoughts/anecdotes?

Speak.

moving > cleaning the house

It's the actual moving I don't like though I'm admittedly incredibly lazy.

That said when we bought we'd moved from rented, which in Ireland generally means at least part furnished, so didn't have a ton of stuff to move. Which considering how much more stuff we have now than we had then makes me even more reluctant to do so again. It's also that I've spent 5 years getting the house how I want it and don't really want to have to do that again.

Well the house is going on the market. Estate Agent has been instructed. Now got to find the right place.

Last did it 9 years ago. Am I ready for all the aggro?

Meh.

Any moving house tips/thoughts/anecdotes?

Speak.

get a skip and clear out all the s**** you don't want.

fill the skip quickly , or all your neighbors will dump their crap in it and you'll have no room for your garbage.

if you can't bear to get rid of stuff, move it to a storage unit temporarily.

get a skip and clear out all the s**** you don't want.

fill the skip quickly , or all your neighbors will dump their crap in it and you'll have no room for your garbage.

if you can't bear to get rid of stuff, move it to a storage unit temporarily.

think about this paradox

my point is that many prospective buyers do not like to see a cluttered, or overfilled house.

putting stuff in a storage unit temporarily is a good way to clear some space.

ok

with you now

Edited by Molby

We moved from West Darby to Grassendale two years ago

Get on to a box company and order a load of varying size cardboard boxes. We used a company called A1 Boxes I think. You can get ones designed for clothes, dvd's etc....

We also got a brilliant removal company who made the whole thing so much easier on the day. They were polite, punctual and very efficient.... Cost about £250 but were about 6 of them and they were brilliant.

I just hope you don't get f***ed around with people pulling out last minute. Happened twice to us at final stages and we lost a lot of money because of it.

Better off for it now as we eventually found a better house

Oh and be wary what gets revealed in photos of the interior and exterior of your house on the websites you sell it through... After speaking to someone ITK sites like RightMove get scouted by the area to see what's for sale, what goodies are inside, floor plans, security and access....

We moved from West Darby to Grassendale two years ago

Get on to a box company and order a load of varying size cardboard boxes. We used a company called A1 Boxes I think. You can get ones designed for clothes, dvd's etc....

We also got a brilliant removal company who made the whole thing so much easier on the day. They were polite, punctual and very efficient.... Cost about £250 but were about 6 of them and they were brilliant.

I just hope you don't get f***ed around with people pulling out last minute. Happened twice to us at final stages and we lost a lot of money because of it.

Better off for it now as we eventually found a better house

Oh and be wary what gets revealed in photos of the interior and exterior of your house on the websites you sell it through... After speaking to someone ITK sites like RightMove get scouted by the area to see what's for sale, what goodies are inside, floor plans, security and access....

Sound cheers

moving is easier is youre moving 'up', keeps your spirirts on the up and up etc. downsizing not so much, bad luck recession victims.

Defo do a skip and bin off your junk tho, as for people scoping out rightmove, thats only an issue if the house is vacant really, otherwise keep a 4 iron handy. or if the wife is a bit of a sharks face make her house sit while you scope out the totty in your new area... this can be a good time for you, you need to realise the benefits of a higher mortgage somehow.

Edited by DPD1973

moving is easier is youre moving 'up', keeps your spirirts on the up and up etc. downsizing not so much, bad luck recession victims.

Defo do a skip and bin off your junk tho, as for people scoping out rightmove, thats only an issue if the house is vacant really, otherwise keep a 4 iron handy. or if the wife is a bit of a sharks face make her house sit while you scope out the totty in your new area... this can be a good time for you, you need to realise the benefits of a higher mortgage somehow.

Sound advice, this. :thumbs:

Viewed my first house yesterday.

Turned out it was owned by Kim Woodburn from "How Clean Is Your House"

It was disappointingly, but inevitably, immaculate.

Ludicrously so in fact. Not sure how you could enjoy living like that.

Give me & my 4 year old son a couple of weeks there & it would look very different....