By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Tough Mudder

The Hitman

Looking to do this in November,the one up in Cheshire-it looks pretty intense but fun.

12 miles of mud running,obstacles etc.

Has anybody done one?I'm not in great shape at the moment,but have started running 5km three times a week,at about 24 minutes,as well as 5 a side.

How big a commitment is it-akin to training for a half marathon?

• 9 years later...

@The Hitman Ten years and no replies.. so Holy thread resurrection Batman!

How did you get on with this, was six months of training plenty etc?

Long story short is that I joined a gym last year after a big layoff recovering from spinal surgery. I'd spent a lot of time on my a*** getting fat.. so I've managed to drop three stone of lard and the gym are putting a Tough Mudder team together for us as extra motivation for Sept. 
I'm a 42 year old fella who can't jog more than about 3k at the minute (putting in a 5k walk/jog/walk most lunch hours to build up some cardio, before looking a proper training plan).. so is six months enough to get into TM shape?
Did you manage it alright etc?

I assume they're much more popular now than they were a decade ago, so anyone else who wants to chip in with any advice then feel free! 

Ta!

1 hour ago, Kurt said:

@The Hitman Ten years and no replies.. so Holy thread resurrection Batman!

How did you get on with this, was six months of training plenty etc?

Long story short is that I joined a gym last year after a big layoff recovering from spinal surgery. I'd spent a lot of time on my a*** getting fat.. so I've managed to drop three stone of lard and the gym are putting a Tough Mudder team together for us as extra motivation for Sept. 
I'm a 42 year old fella who can't jog more than about 3k at the minute (putting in a 5k walk/jog/walk most lunch hours to build up some cardio, before looking a proper training plan).. so is six months enough to get into TM shape?
Did you manage it alright etc?

I assume they're much more popular now than they were a decade ago, so anyone else who wants to chip in with any advice then feel free! 

Ta!

I've never done it, but I know people less fit than you who have managed it, you have nothing to worry about

• Like 1

I did Total Warrior in the Lakes in 2016.  Amazing stuff.  The missus did it the year before and they watered the course because it hadn't rained in days or weeks - then it poured down on the day, like biblical stuff.  I watched most from the car but then when it dried up I ventured out and was just inspired by the camaraderie & achievements.  A opportunity came up the year after, a group of us trained (3 hours of circuits on a Sunday morning) then went out and had a blast on the day.

Always said I wouldn't do another because I felt it should be a one-off (and I'm nowhere near fit or healthy enough right now) but I do miss it when I see the new photos each year.  My issue now would be they've added so many water obstacles - I can't swim.  I did an inflatable obstacle course back in September - that's more my level now.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, kop205 said:

Tough murder is an absolute rip off. Isn't it about £80 to enter?

Loads of nice trail runs in lovely places that have a good buzz without being overly competitive for about a quarter of the price?

Yep, this is £107!! each but the gym's paying for us (as we're entering as a 12 person team, good for the morale etc). It's 15k, 30 obstacles and you get a T-Shirt, photos and all that malarkey for your money.. and did I mention that the gym's paying for me? 😄

16 minutes ago, Kurt said:

Yep, this is £107!! each but the gym's paying for us (as we're entering as a 12 person team, good for the morale etc). It's 15k, 30 obstacles and you get a T-Shirt, photos and all that malarkey for your money.. and did I mention that the gym's paying for me? 😄

Ha, fair enough, hope you enjoy it