By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Wine recommendations

Snakebite

So forum wine-drinkers what should I be stocking for the holiday season? Any gems out there for cellar? Anything not to be missed for the guests?

and Macca - sadly Krug 1988 won't be showing up in my cellar again this year unless Santa is really nice.

I like Pol Roger as an 'entry' level Champagne - that sounds t***tish, but if you want CHampagne - the real stuff - that's ace as it's not as acidic as something like Moet. But Prosecco Zardetto is a great affordable and slightly sweeter alternative if you don't care about the Champagne brand.

There's a load of value in Spanish & Portuguese wines - look for Ribera del Duero (Spain) or Duoro (Portugal) - same river; and Malbec. I buy Rhone too as it's great value for an Old World wine

NB - avoid 2002 and 2008 Rhone

I like Pol Roger as an 'entry' level Champagne - that sounds t***tish, but if you want CHampagne - the real stuff - that's ace as it's not as acidic as something like Moet. But Prosecco Zardetto is a great affordable and slightly sweeter alternative if you don't care about the Champagne brand.

There's a load of value in Spanish & Portuguese wines - look for Ribera del Duero (Spain) or Duoro (Portugal) - same river; and Malbec. I buy Rhone too as it's great value for an Old World wine

NB - avoid 2002 and 2008 Rhone

Nothing t***ish about it - love Pol Roger. Charles Heisdsieck and Nicolas Feuillatte are two others I generally look for for regular drinking champagne ie NV.

Cheers for the recommendations

And then Matty - Mr Montrachet

You know it.

This year I shall mostly be drinking Albarino. Granted, it's not a winter wine, but it's become something of a favourite since I spent three weeks necking it in Spain over the summer.

On the higher end, there's many a fine Meursault being quaffed.

Oh, and I might get a case of the Montrachet with my bonus. :)

there you go, feast on that post.

Edited by matty

Banyuls Vin Doux Naturel is a fantastic little red dessert wine - great with a box of chocs.

Elysium Black Muscat 2009 from the Quady Winery is my current favourite dessert wine and is unbeatable with chocolate.

Laboure-Roi 2008 Meursault is cheeky little number and is reduced from £23 to £18 in Waitrose at the moment perfect with those smoked salmon blinis when you're entertaining the neighbours :cool:

If you don't mind spending a little bit more than might be usual, find some young Vega Sicilia. The King of Riojas with so much oak to it that it tastes like you've been hit around the head with a table.

Worth every penny if you drink it now and an amazing investment if you put a few aside.

You know it.

This year I shall mostly be drinking Albarino. Granted, it's not a winter wine, but it's become something of a favourite since I spent three weeks necking it in Spain over the summer.

On the higher end, there's many a fine Meursault being quaffed.

Oh, and I might get a case of the Montrachet with my bonus. :)

there you go, feast on that post.

Did you finish the case of '61 Haut Brion?

Don't look at me. I have a houseful of heathens for Christmas and shall be drinking the cheap stuff for fear of sharing the good stuff with the unappreciative.

Got some Aussie bubbles in, and some chilean carmenere from Naked Wines

Don't look at me. I have a houseful of heathens for Christmas and shall be drinking the cheap stuff for fear of sharing the good stuff with the unappreciative.

Got some Aussie bubbles in, and some chilean carmenere from Naked Wines

Just signed up for that Naked Wines gig - got a Fabulous Festive Red Case on its way. £50 off the first purchase and antoher £40 off the next purchase for signing up to their angels thingy - I'm waiting for the catch, hopefully its not the stuff in the bottle.

Just signed up for that Naked Wines gig - got a Fabulous Festive Red Case on its way. £50 off the first purchase and antoher £40 off the next purchase for signing up to their angels thingy - I'm waiting for the catch, hopefully its not the stuff in the bottle.

Got six free bottles when I signed up a First Direct product. Not been disappointed so far

They don't have any incentive to sell you s***, as you'll just feck off & not come back

My Girlfriend got given 8 old bottles of red found in her work colleagues sadly recently deceased relatives house. Apparently he had thousands of them.

Of the top of my head i can recall the following;

Taltarni - 1981 - Shiraz

Picola estate Goulburn Valley - 1986 dry red wine

Col Sandago - Vino Da Tavola 1978

Barbera D'asti 1985

Barossa Valley estate (80's)

Barossa Valley - Old Triangle vineyard (80's)

Would like to save one for chrismas dinner and i reckon the D'asti is favourite as its the best looking bottle/label.

Which would be the best back up.

Any thoughts on these as we are extremely unknowledgable about grape juices. - i do know a lot of wines don't age very well but we've opened the other two already (80's) and they were very very nice.

Jeff

PS Sorry for the slight thread hijack

Edited by Jeff guitar

Know nothing about any of them - maybe I'll research if I get time.

Cardinal sin with wine = 'saving' it for a special occasion, inevitably leads to saving it for too long & it being crap when you do open it.

My advice - tear into the lot of them over Christmas/New Year. They're old enough now to be at their peak - if not already past/on the slide - and will deteriorate if you don't store them correctly

OK, so I've got (like everyone else) the £50 off from Naked. So what should I order?

Know nothing about any of them - maybe I'll research if I get time.

Cardinal sin with wine = 'saving' it for a special occasion, inevitably leads to saving it for too long & it being crap when you do open it.

My advice - tear into the lot of them over Christmas/New Year. They're old enough now to be at their peak - if not already past/on the slide - and will deteriorate if you don't store them correctly

Thats the plan!!!!!

Cheers Macca.