By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Old photos of Liverpool

Cunny

Thanks for that.

I'd love to see some of the old buildings used for their original purposes.

Imagine if This was still a station.

Abbey cinema buidling is a bloody Somerfields.

Does anyone have a gallery of buildings that no loonger exist?

There's one I really love and i can't remember what the name is.

Some fantastic images on this forum - very rare ones in some cases. All parts of the city get covered pretty much. It's amazing how much the city didn't change almost up to the early '70's and then - wham - in a funny way like the changes of the last 10 years or so, but far less interesting on the whole. That era of the cityjust up the building of the Beacon is the era I consider 'my Liverpool' - so much of it I don't recognise today.

Old photos of Liverpool

...and f*ck off Cunny ;)

1) How feckin dirty does the Liver building look?

2) Pier Head shots from the late 50s/60s is fairly much as I remember it as a kid about 1970

3) Used to love going to Blacklers

4) Anyone any idea of what the riots were about mentioned in one of the pics (number 155 or thereabous(?))

5) Murph must have been proud of his four grandsons all working together as rat catchers

Imagine if This was still a station.

Where Bob Paisley first arrived in Liverpool, that - I may well have been one of the last people to take a train from there to The Lake District. Used to use it a lot.

Charlie - I loved Blacklers too - the height of luxury that was - a brag 'Oh yes - we bought those curtains in Blacklers!' (More likely on the drip from Woodhouse's on Old Hall Street, or George Henry Lee's orT.J. Hughes...;) . George Harrison started an apprecticeship there (Blacklers) as an electrician and got his first amp (a tiny Pifco) from there when he left.

Edited by fyds

Where Bob Paisley first arrived in Liverpool, that - I may well have been one of the last people to take a train from there to The Lake District. Used to use it a lot.

Charlie - I loved Blacklers too - the height of luxury that was - a brag 'Oh yes - we bought those curtains in Blacklers!' (More likely on the drip from Woodhouse's on Old Hall Street, or George Henry Lee's orT.J. Hughes...;) . George Harrison started an apprecticeship there (Blacklers) as an electrician and got his first amp (a tiny Pifco) from there when he left.

I remember going there with my mum on a Saturday in the early 70s and she bought a box of tissues (the extravagant freak). But it wasn't just any old box of tissues. Oh, no. The tissues, get this, were DIFFERENT COLOURS!. It had pride of place in our living room for about six months, we weren't allowed to use them. As long as there was a blue, pink or yellow tissue sticking out the top of the box we were banned from using em: "We'll save that one for Christmas"

I remember going there with my mum on a Saturday in the early 70s and she bought a box of tissues (the extravagant freak). But it wasn't just any old box of tissues. Oh, no. The tissues, get this, were DIFFERENT COLOURS!. It had pride of place in our living room for about six months, we weren't allowed to use them. As long as there was a blue, pink or yellow tissue sticking out the top of the box we were banned from using em: "We'll save that one for Christmas"

:lol: I think we had the same thing! Mums could be such petty snobs back then with their ideas of what was 'classy' - makes me laugh thinking back at those little generational foibles...always with a certain desperate charm though - get's me all nostalgic and sentimental :(

Just remembering - winter of '62-63, that really, really bad one and being taken to the St George's plateau for a rememberance day open-air service - there was a huge crowd filling all that space between St George's, the library, the gallery etc. The service went on and on, and me standing there in schoolboy '60's regulation viscose-lined short pants and heavy brown, non-thermal shock avoiding pig-skin shoes freezing standing on the cobbles to the point i was shivering somuch I could hardly speak. My brother's mate's dad saw i was turning blue and walked me off to Lime street station, which was sooty, black and still. had some steam trains in it and into the caff (may have been the Punch and Judy) and bought me a hot chocolate and one of those little slabs of nestlé dairy crunch from a vending machine - two things I've loved ever since.

It was grimey, dirty, poor, still had the dregs of trams, bomb-sites etc to play on - but I loved that Liverpool.

those little slabs of nestlé dairy crunch from a vending machine - two things I've loved ever since.

It was grimey, dirty, poor, still had the dregs of trams, bomb-sites etc to play on - but I loved that Liverpool.

I was talking to somebody only earlier this week about the old station platform vending machine classics - Diary Crunch, Fry's Creme, Bar Six....

1) How feckin dirty does the Liver building look?

2) Pier Head shots from the late 50s/60s is fairly much as I remember it as a kid about 1970

3) Used to love going to Blacklers

4) Anyone any idea of what the riots were about mentioned in one of the pics (number 155 or thereabous(?))

5) Murph must have been proud of his four grandsons all working together as rat catchers

I was thinking it was something to do with the police strikes maybe?

I was thinking it was something to do with the police strikes maybe?

Apparently not.... just found this.... grim reading:

:REMOVED LINK:

I've removed the link - it apepred to be to some right wing nazi apologist site (link came up in Google). But it was to an article on the Race RIots of 1919 which I had heard about before.

Edited by charlie clown

I was talking to somebody only earlier this week about the old station platform vending machine classics - Diary Crunch, Fry's Creme, Bar Six....

ooh I remember Bar Six! and Blacklers.

Great photos Cunny. One of the photos showed an ad for Threlfalls, my dad used to manager pubs for them when he finished at sea. 1st pub was The Commercial Hotel in Birkenhead opposite the Mersey tunnel entrance and the old market.

ooh I remember Bar Six! and Blacklers.

Great photos Cunny. One of the photos showed an ad for Threlfalls, my dad used to manager pubs for them when he finished at sea. 1st pub was The Commercial Hotel in Birkenhead opposite the Mersey tunnel entrance and the old market.

Jeez I used to have the odd drink in there way back - Threlfall's - they gone then?

Station vending machines part II: At lime street station, next to the old WH Smith's that was on the wall of the side entrance were two red and white floor-standing vending machines - one sold frozen Kia-Ora orange juice cartons, the other cold milk ones - both sets of carton's were triangular! Across from there, at the platforms which at one time had ticket inspectors and wrought iron fences around their entrances (one day on a vist they were just no longer there), there was a 'platform ticket' dispenser ' tickets were 1d, and I vaguely remember it had a 'British rail' enamel circle logo on it above the slot, and a covered up LMS one at the bottom.

Of Time And The City is on BBC4 tonight at 10.30 after Boys from the Black Stuff - Yossers Story. I heard a radio 4 program a little while ago about Liverpools overhead steam trains that I never knew existed. Some firends of the mrs told me all about it and it really got my imagination and interest. It was good to see some pictures of it in that lot, and they are or have done up some of the carriages in a secret location for an exhibition or museum all about it.

Jeez I used to have the odd drink in there way back - Threlfall's - they gone then?

Station vending machines part II: At lime street station, next to the old WH Smith's that was on the wall of the side entrance were two red and white floor-standing vending machines - one sold frozen Kia-Ora orange juice cartons, the other cold milk ones - both sets of carton's were triangular! Across from there, at the platforms which at one time had ticket inspectors and wrought iron fences around their entrances (one day on a vist they were just no longer there), there was a 'platform ticket' dispenser ' tickets were 1d, and I vaguely remember it had a 'British rail' enamel circle logo on it above the slot, and a covered up LMS one at the bottom.

Taken over by Whitbread sometime in the 70's. Remember the triangular orange juice cartons, used to love them.