By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Los Angeles

John am Rhein

does anybody know what part of Los Angeles would be a good one to stay in on holiday?

I get the impression that it's an enormous city and a car is necessary to get just about anywhere, but I'd ideally like to stay in a hotel somewhere that has at least somewhere to eat and drink within a reasonable walking distance.

Somebody suggested Westwood - anyone know what that's like?

You will need a car regardless.

I like the Renaissance at Hollywood and Highland.

but Lately we've been staying at the Mosaic Hotel in Beverly Hills, nice hotel. Were just in it last weekend.

http://www.mosaichotel.com/

A few blocks from there to South Beverly which has lots of eating places. Urth Caffe has the benefit of doing a lovely breakfast

and being a celeb hangout if you are into that sort of thing.. Saw Abramovich in it last year.

And then there's the Century city Mall which is close by, 3 min by car, couple of great places to eat in there.

Houstons (Hillstone ) and Gulfstream.

It's a very easy drive from there along either Wilshire or Santa Monica Blvd to get to Santa Monica.

Westwood does have plenty of eating as well.

Los Angeles, city of the doomed

Well I loved you once but I gotta go yeah

San Francisco, city pretty by the bay

Well I don't know where she'll be going

Yeah I saw her about a day or so ago

Yeah I don't know if I should look for her

Well I'd say she's gone down to San Diego

End: Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah

does anybody know what part of Los Angeles would be a good one to stay in on holiday?

I get the impression that it's an enormous city and a car is necessary to get just about anywhere, but I'd ideally like to stay in a hotel somewhere that has at least somewhere to eat and drink within a reasonable walking distance.

Somebody suggested Westwood - anyone know what that's like?

you could try Alcatraz as it would be perfect for you.

otherwise, any of California's high security prison facilities are lovely any time of the year.

seriously, stay out of LA and head to somewhere like Escondido, much nicer and a relatively easy commute to most places.

depends what you want from LA john, if you want a relaxed time and the sea, Santa Monica/Venice or up the coast.

if you want to drink, Hollywood, see bands and more bohemian scenes, Silverlake/Echo Park.

downtown is way better than it was, was no-go 10 years ago, now a lot of cool stuff has cropped up there, more and more of my friends are living down that way. Japan town is fun at night.

i stay in hollywood normally as i don't drive and it's the most equidistant for the places i need to go

I've heard Compton is nice at this time of year. Give it a try John, and wear a Raiders jersey so they know you support the local team, it'll go down a storm.

was thinking of going there dressed as Michael Douglas in 'Falling Down'

i stay in hollywood normally as i don't drive and it's the most equidistant for the places i need to go

how do you get around? taxis?

you could try Alcatraz as it would be perfect for you.

otherwise, any of California's high security prison facilities are lovely any time of the year.

seriously, stay out of LA and head to somewhere like Escondido, much nicer and a relatively easy commute to most places.

Clearly you have never met John. Escondido would be hell on earth for him. :lol:

Edited by New York Red

"A nationwide study in 2005 ranked Escondido #11 out of 25 of the most conservative cities in America."

sounds like it could be worth a visit...in a tank

Welk Golf San Diego

Welk Resorts San Diego's two 18-hole public golf courses are scenic masterpieces designed by David Rainville (Fountains) and Jim Brown (Oaks). Both the Oaks Golf Course and Fountains Golf Course designated by GOLF DIGEST as "Best Places to Play" offer challenging play for experienced and novice golfers alike. Resort tee markers provide a relaxing and enjoyable experience for all ages and skill levels. Visit San Diego Golf.

Welk Theatre San Diego

Live on stage, it's the best of Broadway. In the intimate 339-seat Actors' Equity theatre Welk Resort San Diego, every seat for every show is a good one. The Welk Resort Theatre features professional stage productions such as Fiddler on the Roof and Oklahoma! You may recognize some familiar names and faces in the cast. And you'll definitely have a good time, whether you bring the kids or sneak away for an evening with just the two of you. Visit San Diego Theatre.

San Diego Activities & Attractions

From amusement parks to the zoo, San Diego, California has it all from A to Z.

Welk Resorts San Diego is minutes from SeaWorld, San Diego Zoo, LEGOLAND and SEA LIFE Aquarium, San Diego Wild Animal Park and miles of beaches that stretch along the Southern California coast from Carlsbad to Coronado. In town, visit the San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, Balboa Park and Old Town, and catch San Diego Chargers football and San Diego Padres baseball. Or take a break from the urban bustle to explore the beautiful Temecula Valley Wine Country. Speak to the Welk Resorts San Diego concierge to purchase tickets and find out more.

Dining

In addition to the inviting, friendly atmosphere of the Canyon Grille and its inspired new menu, families enjoy more casual dining at the Market Place, which features a convenience store and deli, as well as Pizza Hut Express.

with so much to do and such beautiful scenery, you have to give it a try.

if you are looking for hints on places to visit, there are some good links on this page.

http://www.aneki.com/most_dangerous_cities_america.html

Edited by Nebraska Red

was thinking of going there dressed as Michael Douglas in 'Falling Down'

how do you get around? taxis?

don't you drive? if you do just get a car, much better option for LA itself and if yr gonna go up or down the coast.

california, with the exception of SF is just not built for the pedestrian.

In LA, taxis suck, the drivers are always straight off the boat and never have gps, you often have to tell them exactly where you want to go and how to get there.

theres the metro, which goes nowhere good, and buses, which no normal people use at all. but I guess they must work.

i just get lifts with friends unless i need to get a cab from the hotel direct somewhere.