Sign in to follow this  
Earl Hafler

Dubya criticises Hamas for rocket strikes

"The deteriorating humanitarian situation is deeply disturbing. The Prime Minister has spoken to Prime Minister Olmert of Israel. As we made clear yesterday, Israel must abide by its humanitarian obligations. The UK supports the prompt and sufficient delivery of food, fuel and medicine into the Gaza Strip."

David Miliband

Good to see Obama speaking out so strongly about this. Oh wait.

He's not speaking out about anything. Its not really the done thing for a president elect to tread on the toes of the incumbent president and Obama currently holds no office that would allow him to make a statement, unless i'm mistaken ?.

Hamas needs violence to emphasise the oppression of the Palestinians – and relies on Israel to provide it. A few rockets into Israel and Israel obliges. "
So unfortunately true.

The Israeli government are too stupid, too bloodthirsty and too worried about elections to ever stop this crap. Similarly, Hamas are always happy to make sure the cycle of violence continues, and misery for palestinians means greater support.

The only people who really could put a stop to this are the Americans. They could exert the political pressure, and stop arming Israel. Obama is like a breath of fresh air, but I don't think he'll be able to do a thing about the pro Israel lobby, even though sorting this out once and for all would lead to greater security for the US.

He's not speaking out about anything. Its not really the done thing for a president elect to tread on the toes of the incumbent president and Obama currently holds no office that would allow him to make a statement, unless i'm mistaken ?.

He was right up Israel's a*** during the election campaign, there's no point thinking this will change.

He was right up Israel's a*** during the election campaign, there's no point thinking this will change.

sadly true. I was just thinking its not currently his place to be commenting at all really.

Bush should, America should apply real pressure but they never do, its all depressingly familiar.

If there was an ally of Palestine with nuclear capacity, would Israel take pause for thought before bombing them ?

i was gonna post here but i cant be arsed :rolleyes:

only....................

i would like to hear wht people expected Israel to do about the rocket attacks

Edited by badtodabone

only....................

What people might have expected was them NOT to do this. But that might have been expecting too much.

We might like to hear if you think this level of response is justified.

Has anyone read the book How Israel Lost by Roger Ben Cramer. Written in 2003 or 2004 when it was still Sharon and Arafat leading their people but it accurately describes the situation there, the shockimg tacticss used by Israel, the corruption of the Palestinian leaders and how it is in the interest of the top brass on both sides that the conflict continues. An excellent book.

only....................

Of the various options available to try to stop the rocket attacks, how successful do you think this will be? how successful has such excessive force ever been?

Another good article here

On both sides, the majority are accepting of a 2 state solution, so I just can't understand what Israel are actually trying to achieve. It's absolutely disgusting.

only....................

I can't recall if it was you or not, but was it your daughter who joined the Israeli army?

only....................

I don't know. Act like a civilized society maybe? About 320 dead in Gaza versus 4 Israeli's. Doesn't exactly seem a balanced response to the situation

I don't know. Act like a civilized society maybe? About 320 dead in Gaza versus 4 Israeli's. Doesn't exactly seem a balanced response to the situation

The problem is that there is nothing civilized about either side in this. Hamas have even been firing rockets at the Kerem Shalom crossing, preventing aid from getting to those in Gaza, or turning back aid trucks from Egypt. Given that Hamas supposedly decided not to renew the ceasefire due to Israel's continued (disgraceful) blockade, doesn't it seem a bit odd that Hamas aren't doing as much as they can to help those affected?

This is what is so insane about the situation - there is a minority of extremists on both sides whose actions keep the cycle of hatred and violence going.

One Egyptian paper gave an account of what's going on, which I think is also pretty spot on:

"Palestinian officials who do not want peace and seek empty heroism did not take Egypt's warnings seriously," says the article. "The day of the Israeli foreign minister's visit to Egypt, the militants sabotaged mediation efforts to reach a cease-fire agreement by firing 60 rockets at Israel."

The article, however, severely criticizes Israel's strike on Gaza describing the assault as "worse than crimes against humanity," and "a hideous massacre."

Egyptians were pretty accurate too.

There's no good side here. They are all as bad as each other. Meanwhile, lots of innocent people get wiped out. they have no interest in a real peace.

I think we all need to get used to it.

The problem is that there is nothing civilized about either side in this. Hamas have even been firing rockets at the Kerem Shalom crossing, preventing aid from getting to those in Gaza, or turning back aid trucks from Egypt. Given that Hamas supposedly decided not to renew the ceasefire due to Israel's continued (disgraceful) blockade, doesn't it seem a bit odd that Hamas aren't doing as much as they can to help those affected?

This is what is so insane about the situation - there is a minority of extremists on both sides whose actions keep the cycle of hatred and violence going.

One Egyptian paper gave an account of what's going on, which I think is also pretty spot on:

"Palestinian officials who do not want peace and seek empty heroism did not take Egypt's warnings seriously," says the article. "The day of the Israeli foreign minister's visit to Egypt, the militants sabotaged mediation efforts to reach a cease-fire agreement by firing 60 rockets at Israel."

The article, however, severely criticizes Israel's strike on Gaza describing the assault as "worse than crimes against humanity," and "a hideous massacre."

Don't get me wrong - Hamas are no angels but I just think Israel's response is totally out of order. It's not surprising though. Having been there on several occassions I've come to the conclusion that it'll be a long time before any sort of true peace occurs. Sad to say.

Egyptians were pretty accurate too.

There's no good side here. They are all as bad as each other. Meanwhile, lots of innocent people get wiped out. they have no interest in a real peace.

I think we all need to get used to it.

Or even better... do something about it.

Indeed - just where does one go next when depriving them with food and essential supplies isn't working? The Warsaw Ghetto and Gaza. Compare and contrast.

This really sums up the situation: Israel, by killing innocents, and depriving Gaza of supplies, means hospitals there are inevitably struggling. Yet Hamas won't let the wounded get treatment in Egypt, because politically, the greater the suffering of the people of Gaza (who they care about as little as the rest of the world do), the greater their position.

Hamas 'bars injured leaving Gaza'

I don't for 1 second buy the idea that Israel are bombing the border area to such an extent that while the Egyptians are shooting at civillians trying to flee, there is no way to get the injured over the border.