By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

CERN LHC. Experiment or Doomsday machine?

Frosty Jack

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is it under civilian population? i thought it was in the desert, do they evacuate the people or something?

what exactly do they hope to achieve as well? is it just a case of 'i wonder what happens if i touch this button'? or do they have an educated guess on what might occur.

Edited by Sion

is it under civilian population? i thought it was in the desert, do they evacuate the people or something?

what exactly do they hope to achieve as well? is it just a case of 'i wonder what happens if i touch this button'? or do they have an educated guess on what might occur.

in laymans terms, they're trying to crack open an egg to see whats inside.

Edited by Spion kop

What's the worst that could happen?

Couple of things.

Creation of miniature black hole that sinks to the earths core, eventually destroying the planet.

Creation of strangelet particles that fuse and turn all matter on earth into like, eventually destroying the planet.

They can't actually tell us those things cannot happen, only that they are very unlikely, in the first case because of an unproven theory of Steven Hawkings, that miniature black holes will be stationary and "evaporate", in the second case, just.......because. They can't even tell you the probability because there is no empirical data to generate it with. It really is hit and hope.

I have some plans beyond sept 11th, and quite like my life, so I'd prefer they didn't switch it on to be honest.

Couple of things.

Creation of miniature black hole that sinks to the earths core, eventually destroying the planet.

Creation of strangelet particles that fuse and turn all matter on earth into like, eventually destroying the planet.

They can't actually tell us those things cannot happen, only that they are very unlikely, in the first case because of an unproven theory of Steven Hawkings, that miniature black holes will be stationary and "evaporate", in the second case, just.......because. They can't even tell you the probability because there is no empirical data to generate it with. It really is hit and hope.

I have some plans beyond sept 11th, and quite like my life, so I'd prefer they didn't switch it on to be honest.

I have a personal theory that all matter is just energy wrapped around mini blacks holes in a decaying state anyway, so i'm not arsed.

Its all fine apparently - The safety of the LHC

Nature routinely produces higher energies in cosmic-ray collisions. Concerns about the safety of whatever may be created in such high-energy particle collisions have been addressed for many years. In the light of new experimental data and theoretical understanding, the LHC Safety Assessment Group (LSAG) has updated a review of the analysis made in 2003 by the LHC Safety Study Group, a group of independent scientists.

LSAG reaffirms and extends the conclusions of the 2003 report that LHC collisions present no danger and that there are no reasons for concern. Whatever the LHC will do, Nature has already done many times over during the lifetime of the Earth and other astronomical bodies. The LSAG report has been reviewed and endorsed by CERN’s Scientific Policy Committee, a group of external scientists that advises CERN’s governing body, its Council.

Worst thing is, it could take years for the various scenarios to spread.

It seems ridiculous, the stuff of 50s sci-fi, but imagine a situation where everyone knew they'd be dead in 3 or 4 years, with unprecedented chaos and exponential suffering up until that point? The guy behind the link I posted isn't a random but a physicist with experience in the field, actually discovered a new kind of particle in the 1970s. he has fought private lawsuits to prevent the switch on of this, and previous accelerators, and failed.

But as Scot pointed out we can only wonder until A@A speaks.

Worst thing is, it could take years for the various scenarios to spread.

It seems ridiculous, the stuff of 50s sci-fi, but imagine a situation where everyone knew they'd be dead in 3 or 4 years, with unprecedented chaos and exponential suffering up until that point? The guy behind the link I posted isn't a random but a physicist with experience in the field, actually discovered a new kind of particle in the 1970s. he has fought private lawsuits to prevent the switch on of this, and previous accelerators, and failed.

But as Scot pointed out we can only wonder until A@A speaks.

We'd adapt, take to the sea bed and see out the worst of it. We didn't give in to Jerry in the blitz so a few Hadrons colliding won't dampen our spirits.