By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Learning a language

nvdm

A French language school where I live is offering an extremely intensive course - 60 hours in 4 weeks - 3 hours a day, every day, bar Friday and Sunday.

I'm considering enrolling. Has anyone else completed something in a similar timeframe? Would you recommend it?

Cheers.

Guest Prongsy

wee monshure.

tray bee en.

mer sea bear coup.

Mangetout.

Sounds half decent, the best part is that you'll have other people on the course to practice with. Doing a course on the internet/headphone or whatever means that you take it in but don't really say anything.

How much is the course, if it's not too expensive and you can justify the cost then go for it. You can also supplement it with podcasts and youtube sessions.

A French language school where I live is offering an extremely intensive course - 60 hours in 4 weeks - 3 hours a day, every day, bar Friday and Sunday.

I'm considering enrolling. Has anyone else completed something in a similar timeframe? Would you recommend it?

Cheers.

It would obviously give you a basic grasp of the language, but IMO you need practice over a long period of time to get to a decent level. It's not like learning maths or English, you need time to let it sink in. If you can put in the time and effort go for it, but don't expect to come out of it speaking anything better than average GCSE level vocab.

It would obviously give you a basic grasp of the language, but IMO you need practice over a long period of time to get to a decent level. It's not like learning maths or English, you need time to let it sink in. If you can put in the time and effort go for it, but don't expect to come out of it speaking anything better than average GCSE level vocab.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't know a great deal more than how to ask for coffee at a restaurant, but I'm not looking to reinvent myself as a translator of any kind.

I'm really just concerned with spending 4 weeks learning something that is normally offered over 10 or 20 weeks.

Guest Prongsy

It's surprising how much you can lean from just talking the language with other people that are learning with you.

Once you pick up a bit, and the building blocks of the language, you can go onto french speaking forums, a few weeks of seeing other people speaking the language and how it's written will also help.

My wife takes Chinese lessons at this rate and she's improving every single day. She does 4 hours in the morning and the same hours of homework every day. It's a massive amount of work but well worth it.

Cheers for that. It's certainly a daunting prospect, but I think I'll be going for it.