By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Moral Dilemma

pipnasty

As a few of you might know, I need an operation on my knee. I hurt it last September and missed a few weeks of work. It hasn't been right since and I have missed a couple more weeks off work since then. I am currently contemplating more time off work as it went on me again yesterday and I am currently unable to walk and in quite a bit of pain.

Anyway, I received a letter from the doctor yesterday and have finally been given a date for the operation which is the 26th June. But, there is one major problem. It is a few days before my partners parents 40th wedding anniversary which is rapidly turning into a huge event. It is going to take place on the South Coast which means a long, long train journey for us both. So, at present, I am now unable to go to it.

You can probably guess the rest. My girlfriend and her family want me to go to the anniversary and therefore want me to cancel the operation. I've waited about 3 months for a date and you can guarantee that it will be at least 2-3 months before I can get another date.

This is going to end in tears :unsure:

What do I do?

"If you loved me, you'd understand that the pain in my knee is even worse then the pain of having to miss the party"

That'll either get you off the hook or the house to yourself on a permanent basis. Either way it's win-win

it doesn't necessarily mean 2-3 months of waiting. you could phone up the surgeon's sec and ask to change to another day. when they cancelled my op i got another op date for 2 weeks - i had to change surgeon but all of them do arthroscopies/meniscetomies (sp?)

try calling - and change - if not take op, you never know depending on what work they need to do you could be back on yer feet to make the party

well don't make any rash decisions just yet until you call the booking secretary for the surgeons - it's the MRI right? there's one woman who deals with the diaries for all the surgeons, speak to her and ask to see if you can get a cancellation or a new date for after the party.

Relax - it's not the end of the world - it can be easily sorted when you know more

f*** that pip. from what you're saying, they're not showing much regard for your pain. they're pressuring you to accommodate their wishes at the expense of your own welfare. it's a matter of principle.

would they change the date if it meant you could make it? would you pressure your partner in a similar situation?

i'll bet any doctor/surgeon would tell you you need the operation asap, in any case. i'd go with that angle, if you're too chicken to tell them to fack aff to their faces ;)

Guest the Dude abides

To be honest i think its quite selfish for them to even ask you to putt off this operation. Tell your partner to go enjoy herself without you for a few days.

I am currently unable to walk and in quite a bit of pain.

It is going to take place on the South Coast which means a long, long train journey for us both

How do you know you will be able to walk or even be fit to travel in 3 weeks time?

I waited 8 months for another date for my shoulder op which I had to cancel last year.

I wouldn't even contemplate cancelling the op date and it's selfish of anyone asking you to do so.

Take the operation and go for video link up to the party and you will get the chance to tell everyone at the party the selfish gits wanted you to cancel your op

Pretty much my suggestion except for the last piece. You'll score so many brownie points with everyone for 'making the effort' it will be pip heaven for the foreseeable future.

Pretty much my suggestion except for the last piece. You'll score so many brownie points with everyone for 'making the effort' it will be pip heaven for the foreseeable future.

I've never been able to spend a brownie point. They're forgotten as soon as you've earned them. Rolling over usually means you're expected to do the same next time.

Go to the party and while people are making speeches, cut your leg off at the knee and ram it down the father's throat. Violate the mum with the bleeding stump.

It's the only language these people understand.

Edited by Paul Caruso

Going to the party, while hobbling and grimacing in pain at every opportunity will garner you major league brownie points. Keep telling everyone how you felt it was so important to be here that you cancelled your operation, but you'll only have to wait another 3-4 months in pain for the next available slot. Don't tell her parents, just everyone else......the word will get back.

Trust me, this plan can not fail.

Edited by marvinbarcelona

Going to the party, while hobbling and grimacing in pain at every opportunity will garner you major league brownie points. Keep telling everyone how you felt it was so important to be here that you cancelled your operation, but you'll only have to wait another 3-4 months in pain for the next available slot. Don't tell her parents, just everyone else......the word will get back.

Trust me, this plan can not fail.

With friends like this how can it

• 4 weeks later...
Go to the party and while people are making speeches, cut your leg off at the knee and ram it down the father's throat. Violate the mum with the bleeding stump.

It's the only language these people understand.

:lol:

i cant believe you are even considering not having the op. Madness!!