By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

How much we need to improve next season

RedNik

If you have a look at the premiership tables over the last five years, the winners have hovered around the 90 point mark, with Chelsea having a freakishly good year in 04/05, totaling 95 points.

Here is the reality - to all those doom and gloom merchants out there.

Yes, Chelsea and Man U are going to add to their teams, and possibly improve their squads. The fact however remains, that next years champion is going to yet again get somewhere near 90 points in the season ( I actually think it might be a little less, because there is a group of emerging clubs, forming a solid second tier in the premiership).

This is the benchmark for us, this is how much we need to improve. We need to add the necessary players, to convert say 3 or 4 of those draws we had into wins, and of course sustain our performances from this season. It doesn't matter how much we spend in comparison to them in reality, because we know we can't compete on that level. Rafa needs to search for bargains, for players ready to make the step up, and of course get the best out of them.

I expect big things out of Ryan Babel next season, we need to remember how he has come on this season, and how much he'll gain from just physically growing, let alone a summer of training here. Our first eleven looks pretty strong, if we can sort out a wing back positions. Don't really know what happened to Finnan, but hope he isn't done and that he can recapture his form. Aurelio, Barry and Insua is probably what we're looking at for next season - which I'm fine with. Lucas too should develop (physically as well). We need to sort out our replacements, and add players on the bench who can change the game - big money or not.

10-15 points - that's the aim.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables?league...rue&cc=5901

Also, for anyone bummed about the season we had, have a look at our points totals in Rafa's first 2 years here. We've come a long way, and hopefully this summer will be the final push to get us challenging.

They spent £13m on Ferreira and he was sh*t. It's not about how much you spend, it's about who you spend it on. We need to improve more than the other teams, but I don't think that would need radical overhaul, one or two quality players in key positions could be enough.

They spent £13m on Ferreira and he was sh*t. It's not about how much you spend, it's about who you spend it on. We need to improve more than the other teams, but I don't think that would need radical overhaul, one or two quality players in key positions could be enough.

the problem is getting those key players, we need attacking wide players and an alternatve to Torres ( just in case) .... do we have the money for that?

the problem is getting those key players, we need attacking wide players and an alternatve to Torres ( just in case) .... do we have the money for that?

I think the question is whether we need them on top of our current squad, or whether we need more efficient backups ie replacements for those who do leave.

Personally, I think its the latter. With our current starting eleven, I don't think we have the personnel off the bench to change the game. Assuming Crouch is off, we need to get a replacement in who can do just that. Same with Pennant. Other than that, we probably need another right back if Finnan is done. I don't think it will take all that much money, its more a question of availability and getting players who fit the system.

yep

the difference (as has been said many times by many others on here - probably yerself too !) is that Chelsea & Man U can afford to make more mistakes in the transfer market than we can

yep

the difference (as has been said many times by many others on here - probably yerself too !) is that Chelsea & Man U can afford to make more mistakes in the transfer market than we can

But we probably make more right now.

If you have a look at the premiership tables over the last five years, the winners have hovered around the 90 point mark, with Chelsea having a freakishly good year in 04/05, totaling 95 points.

Here is the reality - to all those doom and gloom merchants out there.

Yes, Chelsea and Man U are going to add to their teams, and possibly improve their squads. The fact however remains, that next years champion is going to yet again get somewhere near 90 points in the season ( I actually think it might be a little less, because there is a group of emerging clubs, forming a solid second tier in the premiership).

This is the benchmark for us, this is how much we need to improve. We need to add the necessary players, to convert say 3 or 4 of those draws we had into wins, and of course sustain our performances from this season. It doesn't matter how much we spend in comparison to them in reality, because we know we can't compete on that level. Rafa needs to search for bargains, for players ready to make the step up, and of course get the best out of them.

I expect big things out of Ryan Babel next season, we need to remember how he has come on this season, and how much he'll gain from just physically growing, let alone a summer of training here. Our first eleven looks pretty strong, if we can sort out a wing back positions. Don't really know what happened to Finnan, but hope he isn't done and that he can recapture his form. Aurelio, Barry and Insua is probably what we're looking at for next season - which I'm fine with. Lucas too should develop (physically as well). We need to sort out our replacements, and add players on the bench who can change the game - big money or not.

10-15 points - that's the aim.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables?league...rue&cc=5901

Also, for anyone bummed about the season we had, have a look at our points totals in Rafa's first 2 years here. We've come a long way, and hopefully this summer will be the final push to get us challenging.

Think having a settled situation in the boardroom and a good assistant to Rafa will help. Our performances outside the disruption from Paco and the two DICS matched the others.

But we probably make more right now.

But up until last summer, the price range we've been operating in we're more likely to make mistakes.

It's true, the mancs have made two excellent signings in Evra and Vidic for not a huge amount but they won the last season and spent f*** knows how much money on Anderson, Nani and Hargreaves. You can say all you like about Arsenal's "kids" but since Wenger broke up his last title winning side they have had about as much success as us and the two richest clubs in the country have been head and shoulders above everyone else.

We need to improve on <£12m signings but have made some excellent ones like Agger, Reina and hopefully Skrtel. It's good but our circumstances determine that he may just have to do better in that department if we're to take the next step

Edited by Guz

How much can one team spend on RB's though ?

6m£ for johnson

13m£ for ferreira

5.5m£ for belleti

9m£ for ivanovic

16m£ for bosingwa

that equals 39.5m£ just for right backs!!

+6m£ for geremi, he was bought as a midfielder/winger but was always played as a rb under mourinho

How much can one team spend on RB's though ?

6m£ for johnson

13m£ for ferreira

5.5m£ for belleti

9m£ for ivanovic

16m£ for bosingwa

that equals 39.5m£ just for right backs!!

+6m£ for geremi, he was bought as a midfielder/winger but was always played as a rb under mourinho

Bouhlarouz too 8m weren't he? :ohmy:

The difference between us and Man United is 6 draws that they were able to turn into wins that we weren't. Essentially, that's 6 clutch performances that we're lacking. Out of 38 games a season, 6 matches is about a 16% improvement. To have that improvement next season and considering we've already cut the previous year's difference between us and the champions from 21 points to 11 this season, top class signings are imperative - after the improvement we had over the previous season, we can't expect another 16% improvement essentially. We need to sign top class talent this summer. Yes, price doesn't matter, but unfortunately, attacking talent is far more expensive than defensive talent (see Rafa's successful buys at the back and up front). Babel will improve, Barry might come in, Milner swap, Agger will be back, but is that enough? Without that investment, I don't see us closing the gap enough to be title challengers.

The difference between us and Man United is 6 draws that they were able to turn into wins that we weren't. Essentially, that's 6 clutch performances that we're lacking. Out of 38 games a season, 6 matches is about a 16% improvement. To have that improvement next season and considering we've already cut the previous year's difference between us and the champions from 21 points to 11 this season, top class signings are imperative - after the improvement we had over the previous season, we can't expect another 16% improvement essentially. We need to sign top class talent this summer. Yes, price doesn't matter, but unfortunately, attacking talent is far more expensive than defensive talent (see Rafa's successful buys at the back and up front). Babel will improve, Barry might come in, Milner swap, Agger will be back, but is that enough? Without that investment, I don't see us closing the gap enough to be title challengers.

Why not?

We went from a pts total of 60 to 80, fell down to 68 and got it back up again this year. I don't see why, even with those "uninspiring signings" we couldn't get to 85 points.