By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Burma

RP

Kin ell. What a mess.

A good mate ofmine was born there and his Mum lived there for 40 years so I always take an interest in news from that part of the world.

What threat do they think aid workers distributing medicines and food are to their government ? Is that all it is, they think western involvement might destabilise the regime ?

They're worried that if they start letting in westerners (specifically Americans) that they'll use the opportunity to topple the government from the inside.

They're worried that if they start letting in westerners (specifically Americans) that they'll use the opportunity to topple the government from the inside.

There'll be f*** all left to govern if they don't get a grip.

I don't know too much about the place but its one of those human rights places that Amnesty international campaigns strongly about sn't it.

The world is mental sometimes, I can't fathom the lack of care for people.

There'll be f*** all left to govern if they don't get a grip.

I don't know too much about the place but its one of those human rights places that Amnesty international campaigns strongly about sn't it.

The world is mental sometimes, I can't fathom the lack of care for people.

Burma isn't the most liberal of nations, as they're treatment of Buddhist monks not that long ago.

But it's the way of dictators. If given a choice of having to risk their current position or ruling over a decimated country of broken peasants, they'll pause for thought.

It's also worth mentioning that if somewhere in the White House or the Pentagon a discussion about toppling the regime once they get inside Burma hasn't been held, I'd be stunned.

Burma isn't the most liberal of nations, as they're treatment of Buddhist monks not that long ago.

But it's the way of dictators. If given a choice of having to risk their current position or ruling over a decimated country of broken peasants, they'll pause for thought.

It's also worth mentioning that if somewhere in the White House or the Pentagon a discussion about toppling the regime once they get inside Burma hasn't been held, I'd be stunned.

Who has suggested sending the US army ?

It will be UN aid workers and NGOs distributing aid i'd have thought. No chance of taking on the Burmese government like that, unless they are smuggling hundreds of tanks and helicopters in with the sacks of rice.

Who has suggested sending the US army ?

It will be UN aid workers and NGOs distributing aid i'd have thought. No chance of taking on the Burmese government like that, unless they are smuggling hundreds of tanks and helicopters in with the sacks of rice.

It probably will be UN in the end, but aid operations and rescue missions are military endeavours. That's how it was after the tsunami, it was American helicopters and marines off an aircraft carrier who were transporting much of the aid to the remote locations.

I think it's highly unlikely that the US armed forces will get anywhere near Burma and even less likely that they'll attempt to topple the regime. For one thing it would signal the end of many other countries requesting aid in the future.

Even so, I'll bet the conversation took place.

Edited by stressederic

It probably will be UN in the end, but aid operations and rescue missions are military endeavours. That's how it was after the tsunami, it was American helicopters and marines off an aircraft carrier who were transporting much of the aid to the remote locations.

I think it's highly unlikely that the US armed forces will get anywhere near Burma and even less likely that they'll attempt to topple the regime. For one thing it would signal the end of many other countries requesting aid in the future.

Even so, I'll bet the conversation took place.

I don't recall seeing anything about the logistics of the situation. I couldn't bear to watch much of it.

If your right, i'd wonder why they'd care about the regime in Burma. They are seemingly unconcerned about despot governments until they impinge on US interests, I can't think of a motive for them getting involved in a conflict inBurma when they have got Iraq going so peachy.

I don't recall seeing anything about the logistics of the situation. I couldn't bear to watch much of it.

If your right, i'd wonder why they'd care about the regime in Burma. They are seemingly unconcerned about despot governments until they impinge on US interests, I can't think of a motive for them getting involved in a conflict inBurma when they have got Iraq going so peachy.

Good PR; "Bush saves thousands of lives in Burma and brings democracy to broken nation" etc.

Also it'd be a bit of a freebie.

They won't do it though, because as you say Iraq and their other concerns have stripped them bare, but even so, these contingency plans and discussions always take place. Hell if it was a similar situation in Russia, I'd equally expect them to hold the same conversation.

It's not something that is going to happen, but the fear of it will be enough for the Burmese leaders to keep most people at arms length.

if somewhere in the White House or the Pentagon a discussion about toppling the regime once they get inside Burma hasn't been held, I'd be stunned.

Two reasons why not

a) They are one of the poorest nations in Asia and

b) They are slap bang next to China who wouldn't be too enthralled with the Americans playing silly beggars in their backyard

The military govt is paralysed by this disaster - rabbit caught in the headlights so to speak - by the time they get their s*** together it'll be another human catastrophe

Two reasons why not

a) They are one of the poorest nations in Asia and

b) They are slap bang next to China who wouldn't be too enthralled with the Americans playing silly beggars in their backyard

The military govt is paralysed by this disaster - rabbit caught in the headlights so to speak - by the time they get their s*** together it'll be another human catastrophe

Two very good reasons. As I said, it won't happen, but the American government at some level will have held a conversation about it.

What threat do they think aid workers distributing medicines and food are to their government ? Is that all it is, they think western involvement might destabilise the regime ?

Most likely they think a large group of aid workers is going to contain a small minority of spies/infiltrators/provocateurs who they won't be able to track.

Good PR; "Bush saves thousands of lives in Burma and brings democracy to broken nation" etc.

Also it'd be a bit of a freebie.

They won't do it though, because as you say Iraq and their other concerns have stripped them bare, but even so, these contingency plans and discussions always take place. Hell if it was a similar situation in Russia, I'd equally expect them to hold the same conversation.

It's not something that is going to happen, but the fear of it will be enough for the Burmese leaders to keep most people at arms length.

I heard Bush spaking about this the other day and his words were as ambiguous as feck - making a lot of noise about helping to rebuild - just sounded like he and his cronies are seeing opportuniities for construction contracts line their pockets...

just sounded like he and his cronies are seeing opportuniities for construction contracts line their pockets...

I'm not sure there is much to construct. From the reports i've seen, the Irrawaddy delta is a rural region with basic facilities and makeshift housing.

I'm not sure there is much to construct. From the reports i've seen, the Irrawaddy delta is a rural region with basic facilities and makeshift housing.

But the chimp will change that. Soon they'll have air conditioned shopping mauls (sic), baptist churches on every corner and a semi-automatic rifle in every living room.

I heard Bush spaking about this the other day and his words were as ambiguous as feck - making a lot of noise about helping to rebuild - just sounded like he and his cronies are seeing opportuniities for construction contracts line their pockets...

He's such a good samaritan isn't he?

Two very good reasons. As I said, it won't happen, but the American government at some level will have held a conversation about it.

Not being funny, but is there something particular that qualifies you to pronounce so confidently on what is/isn't seriously discussed within the White House?

Barring any evidence to the contrary, I very much doubt that the US government give a flying f*** about the regime in Burma - their track record in places like Rwanda is fairly typical of their attitude to such places. I've no doubt it will have been a subject for 'conversation' as I'm sure a million and one other things are within the White House (the fun of stealing elections; the dangers of eating pretzels; etc) and if that is all you meant then fair enough.

You just seemed to be suggesting that it would have been more than idly discussed and instead that serious intervention would have been on the agenda. I fail to see what that belief is based on.