By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

More tripe.....

rjlfc

spouted in the rags this morning.

Benitez reads his end-of-season report and this is what it says.. MUST DO BETTER

LIVERPOOL v MAN CITY: TOMORROW 4PM But Rafa insists he's happy

By David Anderson 3/05/2008

Related Articles

More Football

Have your say on Footy Forum in our Forums

Sport picturesRafa Benitez has come out fighting after posting the worst season of his four-year Anfield reign.

This campaign will go down as the most disappointing of Benitez's time on Merseyside.

After vowing to mount a title challenge, his side have trailed in fourth and finished empty-handed for the second successive season.

Benitez can point to a third Champions League semi-final in four years and, despite admitting Liverpool could have done better, he rejects any suggestion that this campaign has been a failure.

Advertisement

The Spaniard did his best to lift the gloom ahead of tomorrow's final home game with Manchester City.

"Always you want to win silverware and we have not had a fantastic season, but clearly it has not been a bad one," said the Liverpool manager.

"If you analyse the season properly, to be in the top four in England and the top four in Europe is a massive achievement.

"To win the title here is more difficult than anywhere else because Chelsea and United are the best teams in Europe. To beat them, you have to be champions.

"A lot of managers will have had more disappointing seasons than us, finishing in the top four in Europe and the top four in England.

"You can ask me if this is this the most disappointing season but I can't say it is a bad season. It could have been better, but it is not a bad season."

Benitez spends every waking moment analysing Liverpool's performances and has concluded that his side must do better against their Big Four rivals.

The Reds managed just four points from four draws from their six games against Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal to finish bottom of this mini-league.

Compare that to United's 13 points and Chelsea's eight and it's not hard to see why they are the ones battling for the title.

As ever, it all comes down to money and whatever the feuding Tom Hicks and George Gillett can give Benitez, it does not compare to the vast transfer budgets of United and Chelsea.

Benitez is determined not to waste any time and has already tabled a £10million bid for Aston Villa's England midfielder Gareth Barry. "You look who was on the Chelsea bench on Wednesday - Malouda, Anelka and Shevchenko," he said. "Think about the prices of those three players.

"How much money did Chelsea spend to win the title? How much money have United spent to be top of the league?

"We cannot get to them in one season, but we have to keep improving. I will do the best I can to improve this club. Maybe it won't be good enough, but I will try."

MAYBE HE SHOULD HAVE PLAYED REINA UP FRONT!

-------------------------------

Ok while I appreciate we were all dissappointed to be fourth again - IMO we are closer to the other big three teams, both points wise and performance wise. Plus we got to another CL semi to boot. It's ironic that we probably give Chelsea a bigger scare and tougher games than they had in the other two semi's and yet came out losers. We also knocked Arsenal out on the way and only got defeated to Utd in the league out of the top 8 (even 10?) teams.

Don't get me wrong, I've given Rafa some scathing criticism, yet that was probably the frustrating thing, some of the defeats and draws were (IMO) easily avoidable by picking the right team selction.

Off the field problems obviously mean we would rather forget this season pretty quickly, but I don't go with the theory that most of the rags are spouting this morning implying it was a horrendous season. A CL semi, withing a whisker of making the final again, a comfortable 4th spot trailing the leaders by 11 (much better than 20-30 points) is not ideal but far from a calamity.

One final point, wht the hell is the last comment about Reina got to do with anything? W*****s.

Edited by rjlfc

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The media haven't waited long to put the boot in. Strange they haven't done the same with Wenger now that they've gone four seasons without a trophy. And what if Chelsea win nothing... will they be as snide in their report on the world's most expensive team.

The Reds managed just four points from four draws from their six games against Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal to finish bottom of this mini-league.

Compare that to United's 13 points and Chelsea's eight and it's not hard to see why they are the ones battling for the title.

Interesting that. Means that in the other games, Man U got 68 points, Chelsea got 73 and Liverpool got 66. Hopefully that will finally lay to rest the theory that it's the games against 'lesser' teams that are key to winning the title.

Guest Kaizer
Interesting that. Means that in the other games, Man U got 68 points, Chelsea got 73 and Liverpool got 66. Hopefully that will finally lay to rest the theory that it's the games against 'lesser' teams that are key to winning the title.

You can read all about it here.

Like others have said, how come our season is a failure while Arsenal probably will have a had a good season, personally I would say our season has been better than Arsenal`s.

This one from Brian Reade is certainly interesting.

------------------------------------------------------------------

THANK GOD REDS LOST

Brian Reade 3/05/2008

So Liverpool fans have wiped the slate clean with God. By allowing AC Milan to beat them in last year's final and Chelsea to put them out of this year's semis The Big Man has finally called in his 2005 debts.

And there are few complaints from Kopites who prayed for miracles back then. Rather than contemplating what might have been if John Arne Riise had not nutted the ball into his own net, they are seeing the Norwegian as a symbol of what has to change if they are to threaten Chelsea and Manchester United's dominance.

They know that Riise, and half-a-dozen others, are not up to it at the highest level. The simple reason that Chelsea and United are off to Moscow and scrapping for the title when Liverpool aren't is they have more quality in their squad. That quality was bought with big money. As Fernando Torres suggests, give Rafa Benitez the same budget as the other two and he can match them.

The up-side of the Chelsea defeat is that it may finally lance the poisonous boil in the boardroom, otherwise known as Tom Hicks. Had Liverpool won the Champions League the chances are he would have persuaded banks to invest in his "brand". And proceeded to milk it dry for years to come. But the money men may now realise that profits in football aren't guaranteed. They only come when a club is consistently successful. And that only comes when a club has stability.

What Liverpool need more than anything is for Hicks to go and serious investors like DIC to give Benitez similar budgets to his rivals, build a new stadium and restore some dignity.

Then maybe they can move back to an era when they didn't require favours from God to beat the best at home and abroad.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/more/2008/05...89520-20403496/

Favours from God? What a load of b******s. Was it God who beat Juventus? Chelsea? w***er,

I think it says more about Liverpoool being the only club that can call upon divine intervention when needed.

It's a positive to be so holy.

Guest Rafa's Receding Hairline

Whatever you guys say, he's right.

We're Liverpool, and two seasons without a single trophy is nothing but FAILURE.

"The Big Man has finally called in his 2005 debts" suggests otherwise.

Reade is a big Liverpool fan. He is making a relevant point that we won the champions league, yet we know our first team and squad is a little bit behind Chelsea and United, the top two teams in the league this season.

Guest Toxteth O'Grady

Tripe and yet you still post it.

Reade is full of s***, at least when it comes to football. He panders too much to the neanderthals in 306.

Luck?

My a***.

Reade is a big Liverpool fan. He is making a relevant point that we won the champions league, yet we know our first team and squad is a little bit behind Chelsea and United, the top two teams in the league this season.

In person he's good. In that s***house Manc rag he is generally a t**.

Guest Toxteth O'Grady

The media have had it in for Rafa since the start and will do anything to drive yet another decent man and great coach out of our game.

Also, how many times have we finished 4th before?

Edited by Toxteth O'Grady

The media haven't waited long to put the boot in. Strange they haven't done the same with Wenger now that they've gone four seasons without a trophy. And what if Chelsea win nothing... will they be as snide in their report on the world's most expensive team.

Wenger got shedloads, an absolute torrent

Guest Toxteth O'Grady
Wenger got shedloads, an absolute torrent

I must have missed all that. If he did he will have had someone else defending him to the hilt the next day. Rafa has no such luxury.

I must have missed all that. If he did he will have had someone else defending him to the hilt the next day. Rafa has no such luxury.

The week after they lost to us he got wave after wave of critique, mainly about not spending in Jan and how it had left them so short at the business end of the season. He's now looking at two of his main players jumping ship.

Arsenal can still win the premier league, all be it a very slim impossible chance. Once the season is over I'm sure Wenger will get some.

Guest Toxteth O'Grady
Arsenal can still win the premier league, all be it a very slim impossible chance. Once the season is over I'm sure Wenger will get some.

No chance. Wenger is untouchable, and has a side full of teenagers who play like the Harlem Globetrotters on Speed.

Guest Toxteth O'Grady

Difference being that Wenger still has many friends in the press who will always come up with some ludicrous defence for his lack of recent success.

Rafa just constantly gets it in the a*** from all corners.

Guest Kaizer
The Mail mentions that the board are split between Rafa, Mourinho and Eriksson for next season.

Who wants Eriksson? :ohmy::lol: