By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Supermarket Bags to have a charge..

Andy @ Allerton

.. The Government apparantly are going to force supermarkets to charge for plastic bags - as these are supposed to be a waste..

Fair enough if you never use them again - but personally we reuse every single bag (Some several times for putting lunches in) and some for putting rubbish in and throwing it out.

The question is - do you personally reuse plastic bags - and if the majority do so - is there a real need to charge?

For instance - if we stopped getting supermarket plastic bags - there would still be waste as we'd have to buy those massive black bin liners - which surely waste more of the planets resources?

Is it just us that recycle and re-use or is it pretty much everyone?

The government should force supermarkets to clean their own act up aswell, provide more encouragement to local produce sold at local markets without packaging. That would have a more profound environmental and social impact than headline grabbing stunts about carrier bags.

If you are not careful, you end up with your item inside of plastic packaging, which is inside a plastic bag, which is inside another plastic bag. It's just self-indulgance on a huge scale and it takes the piss really, doesn't it?

We reuse ours in loades of different ways, including as small bin liners. Thing is, its after they end up in the rubbish the real problem starts, as we now know not all our waste is dumped in England, but all over the bloody world. We got a Lidle's across the road from us, use it quite a bit and they have always charged for bags and I think they would prefer it that you bought one of their thicker reuseable bags as they get the advertising free as you walk around with it.

all plastic bags and packaging should be stopped

The amount of packaging on some foods is just f***ing rediculous. The organic cherry tomatoes we have bought recently from Morrisons come with a compostible tray, now why can't other veg and fruit come like that, its a great idea.

I always re-use plastic bags around the house, but re-using them when you go shopping next is less practical as it assumes you take them from home to work and then back again for when shopping on the way home (which is when I do 99% of my food shopping)

I always re-use plastic bags around the house, but re-using them when you go shopping next is less practical as it assumes you take them from home to work and then back again for when shopping on the way home (which is when I do 99% of my food shopping)

It is a bit of a hassle for people who do their shopping like you. But for the massed hordes who drive to a big supermarket to do their weekly shop, there isn't much of an excuse for not keeping hold of old bags and taking them with you in the car.

Just tend to buy the 10p thicker plastic bags now and again, use those. Most supermarkets have bag recycling boxes, though I don't know why it's taken this long to make them think "It'd be cheaper if we didn't have to buy the bags in the first place".

I've bought a couple of reusable canvas bags which does for picking up a few odds and sods. I use placcy bags round the house for bin bags and picking up dismembered mice etc but they end up in landfills and dont decompose.

My local supermarket (Morrisons) has brought back cardboard boxes but they are usually a totally unsuitable size. Last year we were in France and Auchan in Calais sold collapsible boxes which were a great size and I still use them today. Really cant see why they dont bring something similar in the UK seeing as we are always being urged to recycle our paper etc its not as tho there is a shortage!

Guest Sabre

You'll be pleased to know that as of a couple of weeks ago there is no longer an end market anywhere in the world for recycling of plastic carrier bags. The plastic bags deposited in those bins outside of Tesco were able to be recycled but no longer. Companies are already taxed on the packaging they utilise and supply to customers. It's not enough of a tax but it is supporting the recycling industry in the UK.