Sign in to follow this  
sammy & a

Team selection for Betis (pre match guesses)

3 at the back against wingers?

992459[/snapback]

It wouldn't be 3 at the back the whole time though.

Rafa has played this system to good effect before. The fullbacks will tuck in when the opposition have the ball, meaning 5-4-1 (one of the strikers helping out) but when we have the ball at least one of the fullbacks has licence to get forward in support.

Rafa was so keen on Milito because he was to be the "3rd" centreback and a leftie who would be comfortable in possession.

I noticed Josemi busy chatting away to Stevie G while on a warm-up last night on SSN. SG barely looked like he was interested in whatever was being said to him and just kept looking straight ahead.....

Reminded me of the way I'd be listening (or not) to this hateful fecker sat beside me at work.

Edited by Mono

I noticed Josemi busy chatting away to Stevie G while on a warm-up last night on SSN. SG barely looked like he was interested in whatever was being said to him and just kept looking straight ahead.....

Reminded me of the way I'd be listening (or not) to this hateful fecker sat beside me at work.

992502[/snapback]

still pissed about the podium

Stevie H Posted Today, 12:22

no way will we go 2 up front when a draw is a good result. no chance.

------------------------Reina

---------Carragher---Hyypia----Troare

Finnan-------Alonso--------sissoko---------Riise

---------------Gerrard----garcia

---------------------Crouch

992502[/snapback]

he looked the exact same way early last season when there was them pics of Rafa sat talking to him in a dugout at the Academy. Just looking blankly into the distance while he talked to him. Maybe that's just how he looks!

Josser was probably saying 'yer a right arrogant t*** you know Stevie', too which Gerrard looked vacant and mumbled 'yeah I know..... what was it you said again?'

It wouldn't be 3 at the back the whole time though.

Rafa has played this system to good effect before. The fullbacks will tuck in when the opposition have the ball, meaning 5-4-1 (one of the strikers helping out) but when we have the ball at least one of the fullbacks has licence to get forward in support.

Rafa was so keen on Milito because he was to be the "3rd" centreback and a leftie who would be comfortable in possession.

992496[/snapback]

Even so, there is still a disadvantage. If there are wingers to mark, the system effectively becomes as you say, with a spare man or two in central defence, depending how many strikers they line up with. The consequence is a lack of numbers to hold the ball in the oppo half, and a complete lack of width. I think it's fine if the oppo line up with 3 at the back or with a diamond midfield/man in the hole behind two strikers, just not against wingers. Just what I think of it like

I think it's fine if the oppo line up with 3 at the back or with a diamond midfield/man in the hole behind two strikers, just not against wingers.

I think that's right - it worked ok away at Juve and in the second half against Milan as neither side played with wide midfielders.

Is Kewell fit enough to be in the squad? I have not seen anything either way?

991527[/snapback]

He's saving himself for March or May whenever we reach the next final. He is desperately trying to get himself fit enough to at least last until half-time. ;)

Reina

Finnan Carra Sami Warnock

Alonso Hamann

Cisse Gerrard Zenden

Crouch

Possibly Momo for Hamann, but I'm guessing Rafa will like Hamann's greater experience for this tricky away tie.

Garcia not doing too well. He'll be dropped. Cisse to play right. Not his preferred position, but his pace will give them something to think about.

Crouch up top on his own, trying to hold the ball up to be supported by those advancing, principally Cisse/Gerrard.

I think Garcia is a shoe-in to be playing tonight. He was aruguably our best player in Europe last year and it is clear the pace of European football suits his game and style.

He will not only start tonight, he will score. In my opinion of course. ;)

team up -

v Betis: Reina, Josemi, Hyypia, Carragher, Traore, Sissoko, Alonso, Zenden, Garcia, Pongolle, Crouch.

Subs: Carson, Finnan, Gerrard, Cisse, Hamann, Riise, Warnock

WTF? Odd looking team. Why is Stevie on the bench?

993157[/snapback]

someone has to be extracting the urine with that team. :o:o:o

that is the official line up?

Rafa must not rate the opposition that highly to start Josemi, Zenden and Pongolle.

Edited by nebraska red

Guest john316

On the official site - truely bizarre lineup. If we get beat tonight in a crap display, then Rafa will just be opening himself up for abuse. Can't fathom that team at all - don't care if its Man Utd on Sunday, this is a game that will give our CL chances a massive boost if we can win!

Stevie obviously isnt fully fit, (looked knackered against Spurs) we shouldnt have allowed him to play for England after hed just missed games.

Probabaly means FSP will play wide right with Garcia supporting Crouch. Lets hope Josemi is better against Spanish opposition (wasnt he in the team of the year the season before we bought him?)

Brilliant management.

Resting Gerrard for Man U where he is the key player.

Pongolle will surprise Betis because they won't have prepared for him.

Josemi has impressed in his last few run outs for 1st team and reserves.

Plenty on the bench to change things/apply pressure 2nd half.

Guest Cisse4ever
Brilliant management.

Resting Gerrard for Man U where he is the key player.

Pongolle will surprise Betis because they won't have prepared for him.

Josemi has impressed in his last few run outs for 1st team and reserves.

Plenty on the bench to change things/apply pressure 2nd half.

993180[/snapback]

Tonights line up isnt bad, til i looked at the forwards. Cisse deserves his place, and pongolle just doesnt have the strength in a game like tonight.

Someone please remind rafa, this match isnt 2legged????