By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Bangor advice needed

Molby

Spent my formative years in Caernarfon trying to avoid getting my head stoved in on a Saturday afternoon in Bangor, worked there for a 6-7 years in the 90's so know it a bit. Not spent much time there recently though. Happy to try and help. Isnt Jonesy a Bangor aye?

5 minutes ago, Ostrich Man said:

looks boss, will defo visit soon

@Rex, thanks, I am interested in High St, the WH Smith and the shop next to it and the pub, called the Waterloo Inn

does this ring a bell? it's 10 mins from the uni and station

someone needs to tell me if that part of town is no longer popular or if a new pub there (the old one is closed down) is doomed to failure, for whatever reason - all within the context of retail dying, which is my constant concern

in Liverpool we can count on our Arab people to take on businesses, and they make them work by hook or by crook but Bangor doesn't have that kind of immigrant population

or does it?

Students, obviously, but they always spent more of their time in Upper Bangor rather than down in the town. Bangor High Street hasnt been particularly healthy for years I dont think but I think there's been a bit of an upturn recently. Twitter account Bangor Aye might offer a bit of an insight if you can be ar5ed to trawl through the timeline. Need anymore well researched detail before you part with your cash?

3 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

I'm from there. I used buy my pills in the Waterloo from a male nurse nick named killer. The pub was ran by my mothers friends back in the 80s & 90s.

I have friends who still there too

thats a great intro

going forward, you’re literally in pole position to give me good advice 

Bangor high Street is on its a***. A pub might work night not. I have no idea what the foot flow is these days. Bangor is built in a valley so back in the day all the pubs were dotted along from the train station down the High steeet to the pier. Upper Bangor at one time was where all the students  lived but Wartkin Jones & sons, the big  local building firm in the area have built student accommodation all over town. I'm surprised they're not all over it already and if they are you're not going to stand a chance. If there's no chance of planning permission to make it into flats then you're in with a shout. 

27 minutes ago, Tosh said:

@Molby couldn’t you take a day-trip ?

I need to do just that; but not a day trip - need to study the night life too

10 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Bangor high Street is on its a***. A pub might work night not. I have no idea what the foot flow is these days. Bangor is built in a valley so back in the day all the pubs were dotted along from the train station down the High steeet to the pier. Upper Bangor at one time was where all the students  lived but Wartkin Jones & sons, the big  local building firm in the area have built student accommodation all over town. I'm surprised they're not all over it already and if they are you're not going to stand a chance. If there's no chance of planning permission to make it into flats then you're in with a shout. 

I don’t like the sound of Watkin Jones and sons 

they sound like the rich bullies in Twin Town and they might need taking down a peg 

1 hour ago, Molby said:

I need to do just that; but not a day trip - need to study the night life too

I don’t like the sound of Watkin Jones and sons 

they sound like the rich bullies in Twin Town and they might need taking down a peg 

One of the sons was in school with me. A great lad. He never wanted to go into the family business. He got in to heroin and sadly took his own life in 2003. 

The city centre at night is supposed to be quite feral with kids these days .Very little police presence, the cop shop closes at 7pm. It was a very vibrant place in the late 80s all the way up to the late 90s. It's still quite country round that neck of the woods. So coachloads used to come in from Anglesey and Caernarfon and loads from the surrounding villages. There was one Chinese takeaway/restaurant in the town centre where everyone would gather after the Octagon night club had closed and the pubs were shut. Back in the late 80s it was guaranteed to kick off there every Friday and Saturday night. I've seen some belting scraps outside there between folk and watching police wade in. Also seeing the chefs running out the the kitchens with cleavers .....haha happy days ....then Es made there way to Bangor and it was all good for at least a decade. There's loads of county lines stuff going on there these days too. Most of the retail has moved out of the centre to Caernarfon Rd as have most of the shoppers. There really has been a massive decline in Bangor High Street. I haven't been there for years but have friends who still live there and I am the local Bangor Aye facebook group.....there's always someone on there giving off how s*** the high street has become. 

Ha sorry for the nostalgia trip.....I guess you should have invested in the 80s and got out in 00s

You might be able to spot an opportunity there. But as I have already said accommodation is probably your best bet.  

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2266738,-4.1262585,3a,75y,128.54h,99.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6JT0ysnNCTErp71xqJWMDw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

That's where the waterloo is ...up the top is the high street

2 hours ago, Jonesy said:

One of the sons was in school with me. A great lad. He never wanted to go into the family business. He got in to heroin and sadly took his own life in 2003. 

The city centre at night is supposed to be quite feral with kids these days .Very little police presence, the cop shop closes at 7pm. It was a very vibrant place in the late 80s all the way up to the late 90s. It's still quite country round that neck of the woods. So coachloads used to come in from Anglesey and Caernarfon and loads from the surrounding villages. There was one Chinese takeaway/restaurant in the town centre where everyone would gather after the Octagon night club had closed and the pubs were shut. Back in the late 80s it was guaranteed to kick off there every Friday and Saturday night. I've seen some belting scraps outside there between folk and watching police wade in. Also seeing the chefs running out the the kitchens with cleavers .....haha happy days ....then Es made there way to Bangor and it was all good for at least a decade. There's loads of county lines stuff going on there these days too. Most of the retail has moved out of the centre to Caernarfon Rd as have most of the shoppers. There really has been a massive decline in Bangor High Street. I haven't been there for years but have friends who still live there and I am the local Bangor Aye facebook group.....there's always someone on there giving off how s*** the high street has become. 

Ha sorry for the nostalgia trip.....I guess you should have invested in the 80s and got out in 00s

You might be able to spot an opportunity there. But as I have already said accommodation is probably your best bet.  

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2266738,-4.1262585,3a,75y,128.54h,99.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6JT0ysnNCTErp71xqJWMDw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

That's where the waterloo is ...up the top is the high street

that's great info and makes sense - was what I was expecting , thanks mate

• Like 1