Sign in to follow this  
Romario

Hong Kong troubles

China will never give in to what it sees as dissent. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

All started when Scally The Wag had a go at his neighbours I think.

their complete dismissal of any British involvement or say in Hong Kong does not bode well for future relationships between UK and China. Britain learning its place in a post Brexit world the hard way already

their complete dismissal of any British involvement or say in Hong Kong does not bode well for future relationships between UK and China. Britain learning its place in a post Brexit world the hard way already

The UK is an insignificance in this part of the world mate, it was already far less important than it thought and then Brexit made it a laughing stock. It's now at the point where you say you are from the UK with a sheepish shrug, and people feel sorry for you. Like Americans did when I first came over here and W Bush was president. Pisses me off so much.

But on HK, China is going to go all in, domestic terrorists, full authoritarian. Because why not and who's going to stop them.

Edited by Stevie H

Asia often seems to lead the way in protests like this. Maybe because they are more used to authoritarian government. But in the past the HK protesters would have had the backing of the US and the UN and that just doesn't happen now. And it's hard to see this not ending horribly.

The protestors are incredibly brave to stand up to a ruthless dictatorship in the way they are doing it. Amazing. But authoritarians around the world, from Egypt to Venezuela to Russia to Burundi to Syria and to China and beyond are now safe in the knowledge that they can repress their populations as much as they need with barely the most token of reactions from the international community.

The protestors are incredibly brave to stand up to a ruthless dictatorship in the way they are doing it. Amazing. But authoritarians around the world, from Egypt to Venezuela to Russia to Burundi to Syria and to China and beyond are now safe in the knowledge that they can repress their populations as much as they need with barely the most token of reactions from the international community.

Yeah it's an incredible sacrifice, loads are getting banged up and it's going to get massively worse I fear.

I just wonder where this will all end up in twenty years. It's scary as hell.

Mass migrations north due to climate change being met with machine guns. 

A cheery thought for a Wednesday.