By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Sky TV/Virgin Q

Bailo

This might be a stupid question but...

Recently switched bband to Virgin after having enough of Sky's s*** 6mbps service. Kept Sky TV but dumped them for phone and broadband. Asked whether this would affect my TV and they said no. They've installed it all today and now my Sky box can't find a signal. Have I shafted myself here and lost my TV signal as well? Does sky TV need their own broadband or phone line?

I think they do do something to link the two. The bloke who installed our Sky mentioned something about bt broadband being a pain.

Really? We've got Sky and Plusnet with no issues 

Edit: Mine is an old Sky box not a Sky Q

Edited by Gethin

Sack off Sky as well, get Freeview Play and use Now TV for GoT/sports.

Yeah I've looked into that as an option, does it work out cheaper for you?

Got 100mbps from virgin for the same price as 6mbps from sky. Pissed off I didn't investigate this sooner.

Yeah I've looked into that as an option, does it work out cheaper for you?

Got 100mbps from virgin for the same price as 6mbps from sky. Pissed off I didn't investigate this sooner.

I'm about to get virgin in as well i think. Ive 2 free bb here, through work, and theyre both crap. 6 meg and always messing about

When I switched from Sky back to BT, the latter had the highest upload speeds of all of them. The Sky box (an old one) does drop out every now and again, which needs a manual reconnect to get the wifi to connect, but it's the best solution for my needs, especially when I have to transfer gigs for work.

I've always had my TV from Sky and my broadband and landline through Virgin Media. All works, can download all catch up shows etc, sky box is connected to the router via ethernet cable.

Maybe contact Virgin Media and explain the issue, might have to change a setting on the router so that it picks up the Sky box, if you are trying to connect via wifi. Sometimes you have to change the channel settings on the router due to interference.

Edited by Candystore

I switched my tv from Virgin to Sky a couple of years back. Kept Virgin broadband.

Never had any issues with the two working together.

Virgin is definitely the best broadband out there.

Make sure you are on the new Superhub. Superhub2 is rubbish.

When we moved house (almost three years back now) we spent the first three or four months waiting for Virgin to connect their fibre cable to the property and they failed to manage it every time the work was scheduled - which was four or five times. I told them to bin it in the end and they then had the nerve to charge me for breaking the contract (despite them not being able to deliver the service they were supposed to provide).

Went with Zen internet instead for phone and broadband (which is delivered through the BT network) and just use freeview, an Amazon box and Jonesy's magic special stuff.

When we moved house (almost three years back now) we spent the first three or four months waiting for Virgin to connect their fibre cable to the property and they failed to manage it every time the work was scheduled - which was four or five times. I told them to bin it in the end and they then had the nerve to charge me for breaking the contract (despite them not being able to deliver the service they were supposed to provide).

Went with Zen internet instead for phone and broadband (which is delivered through the BT network) and just use freeview, an Amazon box and Jonesy's magic special stuff.

Not to be confused with Briss' special meat.

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Cunny said:

Is anybody on the Virgin TV 360?

Is it any good?

I've got it.  It's fine.

They've got some good offers on at the moment.  Got their top bundle, all the TV, Sky Cinema, Sky Sports, two 360 boxes, 600Mbps broadband, landline and an unlimited data SIM card for £85 a month.

That was as an existing customer and took a bit of negotiation but I think you can get it cheaper still as a new customer.

• Like 1