Holidays. The year of our Lord, 2017.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one of the studies/surveys our Tourism Economics  branch has just done is apparently pretty damning and  theyve forecasted the tourism industry within america is going to take a pretty big hit.

But i reckon its like those shampoo or  face cream adverts when it says  at the bottom 84% of  93  people agreed.

Getting through customs in the US is never a pleasure although to be fair Orlando is miles better than Tampa and a million miles better than Miami. I imagine emboldened security guards who reflect Trump's new world, they can f*ck off.

anyone else here scared of flying? i hate flying. hate it. just can't relax. got to do two three hour flights tomorrow and all i can think is to be drunk and hopefully that might get it over with. it doesn't of course. i'd love to be able to relax and enjoy a flight but just spend the entire time gripping the armrests and being uptight. 

Stevie: Wife went to NY yesterday on the BA flight out of City. It stops to refuel in Shannon. They left Shannon and went round in circles for a bit, well, 2 hours, while the pilot worked out if the cabin pressure was going to be stable for the long leg across the sea as they had a warning light or somesuch. So they flew low, slow and north and landed in Newfoundland. 2 hours later, BA had paid for the tank of fuel and off they went to JFK. I didn't sleep til she texted me that she'd landed in NY

had one last year from manchester to abu dhabi and we couldn't land 'cos of morning fog. nobody could. so there's 28 planes circling abu dhabi for about 2 or 3 hours. eventually the captain announced 'sorry but we're running out of fuel so we have to carry out an emergency landing'. most of the plane freaked, i didn't think they made that kind of thing public, actually saying we are running out of fuel. people were going spare. then we landed in the middle of the desert in oman at a military runway to refuel. which is obviously par for the course and normal and happens all the time. i was alright by that point, 'cos they sounded like they knew what they were doing and were clearly used to it. but christ i just want to get there on a plane with no drama, incidents or ideally turbulence.

had one last year from manchester to abu dhabi and we couldn't land 'cos of morning fog. nobody could. so there's 28 planes circling abu dhabi for about 2 or 3 hours. eventually the captain announced 'sorry but we're running out of fuel so we have to carry out an emergency landing'. most of the plane freaked, i didn't think they made that kind of thing public, actually saying we are running out of fuel. people were going spare. then we landed in the middle of the desert in oman at a military runway to refuel. which is obviously par for the course and normal and happens all the time. i was alright by that point, 'cos they sounded like they knew what they were doing and were clearly used to it. but christ i just want to get there on a plane with no drama, incidents or ideally turbulence.

Had one flying into gibraltar a few years ago. Coming in to land the pilot pulled the plane up steep out of the descent and we were quite low. There was gear flying all over the shop, people screaming etc. He then went round and had another go and did the same. He gave up and took us to malaga instead. Said it was cos of cross winds. 

Landed at Gatwick once quite late in really thick fog. The pilot announced the plane had just landed itself, I didn't think fog was a problem with modern aircraft?

I've had the "plane landed itself" announcement before too. Think it depends on the airport kit: London City is notorious for closing due to fog so the planes divert to Heathrow etc.

Had an engine blow on take off coming out of Geneva once. Most disconcerting thing was watching the Cabin Crew go very very pale. I used to get on planes without a thought. As I get older, I do find myself getting more nervy: worst time is throttle up to gear up. After that I tend to be much better (and drinking). Mind you, I drive a bit more carefully than I used to as well.

anyone else here scared of flying? i hate flying. hate it. just can't relax. got to do two three hour flights tomorrow and all i can think is to be drunk and hopefully that might get it over with. it doesn't of course. i'd love to be able to relax and enjoy a flight but just spend the entire time gripping the armrests and being uptight. 

Yep.  Hate it intensely. Am exactly the same, can't relax, sleep or even read.

I avoid flying at all costs, if I can't then Valium is the solution.

Takes most of the edges off & I can be sort of normal.

Fear of flying is a genuine phobia, i.e. it's irrational.

I suffered form it for a few years about 8/9 years ago. But having been struck by lightning, experienced two aborted landings and an emergency landing, I kind of realised that fear was pointless.

Now I really enjoy it, depending on if you turn left or right.

Yeah I just nearly got arrested at Kuala Lumpur airport. Arrived half an hour late, I still had 2 hours to get my connection. Last time I was here was through passport control in five minutes. Today, took over an hour and a half. After chaotic queueing for an hour I asked one of the uniforms about missing connections and could they maybe open all the desks that were closed, maybe prioritise people on connections. He went nuts and kept accusing me of making trouble. I said I was trying to avoid trouble because people were getting irate. Then he got his cuffs out. Fortunately his sergeant came over and spoke better English and I could explain what I meant. He basically said shut up, back in line and tough s***. Got through eventually, no sign of luggage, found it eventually, missed f***ing connecting flight. Booked onto next one four c***ing hours later so went off on a 20 minute expedition to try and find alcohol in an airport in a heavily Islamic country. Found a shop selling cans of Carlsberg for about a quid each, bought eight. Any port in a s***storm. Christ I hate travelling.