Holidays. The year of our Lord, 2017.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve been to Curacao.

It’s f***ing weird. It’s a nice Caribbean island crossed with an Oil Rig. Got some blinding sunburn. Pretty quiet. Sat two rows in front of a prisoner in transit on the way home which was fun.

I worked in Swaziland a few years ago and every single morning we used to drive from the hotel down in the valley up to the factory up in the hills. the next nearest building was the prison and we used to have follow the prison van up the winding track roads.The prisoners would sit there in the van intently staring at us. I used to panic a bit in case there was an accident or incident and they all got out.

I’ve been to Curacao.

It’s f***ing weird. It’s a nice Caribbean island crossed with an Oil Rig. Got some blinding sunburn. Pretty quiet. Sat two rows in front of a prisoner in transit on the way home which was fun.

We're basically going to dive and chill the f*** out. Sounds ideal for what we need 

Anyone got any decent Amsterdam hotel recommendations, central-ish? Doesn't need to be anything fancy but preferably not a chain 

We're basically going to dive and chill the f*** out. Sounds ideal for what we need 

Anyone got any decent Amsterdam hotel recommendations, central-ish? Doesn't need to be anything fancy but preferably not a chain 

It's 12 years since I worked in Amsterdam but I stayed in the Frisco still owned by the same fella, is also a Liverpool pub with some expat scousers there regularly. Stairs are steep, it's clean comfortable and reasonable. Bar was good and one of the best coffee shops a couple of minutes away.

It's 12 years since I worked in Amsterdam but I stayed in the Frisco still owned by the same fella, is also a Liverpool pub with some expat scousers there regularly. Stairs are steep, it's clean comfortable and reasonable. Bar was good and one of the best coffee shops a couple of minutes away.

Cheers - looks ideal but no rooms available unfortunately 

Edited by Gethin

Toying with a trip to Cuba next year (so I guess should be in a 2018 thread) anyone been?

Just back from Cuba, having been in 2011. Havana-Vinales-Trinidad have cottoned onto the tourist trade, & not as cheap as they used to be. Away from the tourist trails, its cheaper but quality of food available is poorer.

It's amazing, though. They're crazy system forces you to slow down, & just go with the flow. The rum, cigars, music & warmth of the Cuban people mean you'll have a blast.

Is there anything in particular you'd like to know? We stayed in casa's, had a good bit of homework done before we left & they were all great places to stay. Also, if you're booking or buying anything, the casa owners will arrange it & make sure you're not being ripped off

Just back from Cuba, having been in 2011. Havana-Vinales-Trinidad have cottoned onto the tourist trade, & not as cheap as they used to be. Away from the tourist trails, its cheaper but quality of food available is poorer.

It's amazing, though. They're crazy system forces you to slow down, & just go with the flow. The rum, cigars, music & warmth of the Cuban people mean you'll have a blast.

Is there anything in particular you'd like to know? We stayed in casa's, had a good bit of homework done before we left & they were all great places to stay. Also, if you're booking or buying anything, the casa owners will arrange it & make sure you're not being ripped off

It's the one place (apart from Italy which we go back to again and again) that Mrs.C would go back to in a hearbeat. We went about 7 years ago and did absolutely nothing and it was perfect. As you say, there's a lot of stuff that isn't readily available (really good food for example) but go accepting that and it's a no brainer that you'll have a great holiday. 

Got back from my walking weekend on the Herriot Way last night - what a fantastic part of the country it is. Simply stunning scenery, really good walking options, fantastic pubs and some lovely little villages. The rest of the world might know this stuff already but I'd never been round that area before at all. Feel like I need to go back as soon as I can.

• 3 weeks later...

Bit slow in replying to this, apologies!

Booked our flights for beginning April - that seemed to work in terms of temperature (I'm not great in heat much over 25 degrees) and humidity and obviously (hopefully) misses hurricane season.

We've basically got two weeks so were thinking of up to a week in Havana and then head somewhere else for a few days. Would a week be enough to get a good look round Havana? Any tips where else to go? I quite like wandering around and looking at stuff rather than spending several days just lying on the beach, although I'm sure I will need to agree to a bit of that to placate Ms K ;)

Don't really know much about the country to be honest - heard weird stuff like you can only bring one piece of tech, like one phone or tablet, with you - is that true!?

I assume stuff like not drinking the water and avoiding ice, no mobile phone coverage for UK networks, can't use cashpoints etc still apply?

Thinking of doing an Airbnb type thing. Not heard of the Casa thing - is it same sort of thing?

Basically I'm looking for tips on anything I really should know!

• 5 weeks later...