By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The Rio Olympics

Cobs

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is always doom and gloom about infrastructure before the Olympics and then everyone forgets the poor athletes' accommodations and just gets on with things. 

As long as they have 43 condoms each, they'll be fine.

I always love the Olympics.

The first I can remember was 1968 and what really stuck in my mind was Lillian Board nearly winning; Kip Keino battering Jim Ryun; Tommy Smith and John Carlos doing their thing. Absolutely awesome. 

1972 and Mark Spitz; the American sprinters waking up late and Borzov winning the sprints; Dave Wottle implausibly winning the 800; the Basketball fix; Heidi Rosendahl and Renate Stecher's hairy armpits; Olga Korbut being "elf-like"; the horrible tragedy with Black September.

1976 and the boycott. Juantorena blowing everyone away; Stephenson winning his second gold; the American boxers dominating; the East German women swimmers looking manly, Lasse Viren blowing runners away; Eamonn Coghlan nearly taking the gold; David Wilkie crying, Comenici being absolutely brilliant.

1980 and another boycott. Alan Wells; Coe vs Ovett; totalitarian, Communist dominance propaganda show; Miruts Yifter being amazing and an old bloke; Vassily Alexeyez sh*tting the bed.

1984 and another boycott. Daley Thompson; Carl Lewis; an America propaganda freak show; nine million grand pianos at the opening ceremony; Marylou Retton smiling implausibly.

It goes on and on.

But I can't remember one that I've been so ambivalent about.

The first I can remember was 1968 and what really stuck in my mind was Lillian Board nearly winning; Kip Keino battering Jim Ryun; Tommy Smith and John Carlos doing their thing. Absolutely awesome. 

1972 and Mark Spitz; the American sprinters waking up late and Borzov winning the sprints; Dave Wottle implausibly winning the 800; the Basketball fix; Heidi Rosendahl and Renate Stecher's hairy armpits; Olga Korbut being "elf-like"; the horrible tragedy with Black September.

1976 and the boycott. Juantorena blowing everyone away; Stephenson winning his second gold; the American boxers dominating; the East German women swimmers looking manly, Lasse Viren blowing runners away; Eamonn Coghlan nearly taking the gold; David Wilkie crying, Comenici being absolutely brilliant.

1980 and another boycott. Alan Wells; Coe vs Ovett; totalitarian, Communist dominance propaganda show; Miruts Yifter being amazing and an old bloke; Vassily Alexeyez sh*tting the bed.

1984 and another boycott. Daley Thompson; Carl Lewis; an America propaganda freak show; nine million grand pianos at the opening ceremony; Marylou Retton smiling implausibly.

It goes on and on.

You should loosen up and enjoy it NYR, on the basis of when your fist one was this one might be your last! Get that TV turned up nice and loud now.

You okay?

You want a cup of tea? Or a turn around the garden?

You should loosen up and enjoy it NYR, on the basis of when your fist one was this one might be your last! Get that TV turned up nice and loud now.

You okay?

You want a cup of tea? Or a turn around the garden?

Can I get a blanket for my legs please? 

And get my bloody pipe. Where's my bloody pipe?

It goes on and on.

Nearly my generation. Remember 72 but only because a team mate was next to the Israelis and avoided the gunmen. Qualified for 1980 but my country boycotted so did not go. 1984 was too political but at least I helped GB win a medal or two.

Nearly my generation. Remember 72 but only because a team mate was next to the Israelis and avoided the gunmen. Qualified for 1980 but my country boycotted so did not go. 1984 was too political but at least I helped GB win a medal or two.

Very cool. What did you do and for who?

Ah, qualifying and not getting to compete! That would have been a sickener. Did you get to go to the alternate event, the Liberty Bell Classic?