By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Maternity pay

Bailo

Friend of ours works for UK Border Agency. Told my wife she's on 6 months full pay whilst she's on maternity leave. For a public sector job that seems a lot! Is that likely or is she mixing something up?

Friend of ours works for UK Border Agency. Told my wife she's on 6 months full pay whilst she's on maternity leave. For a public sector job that seems a lot! Is that likely or is she mixing something up?

Sounds right.

Think that sounds right.

Pretty sure is the same in teaching.

Are congratulations pending, Bailo?

All I've seen is the normal SMP provisions for teachers & am unsure whether that applies to me if I take my new 6 month entitlement.

Nah, we're just doing sums based on moving house and potentially starting a family in close proximity.

All I've seen is the normal SMP provisions for teachers & am unsure whether that applies to me if I take my new 6 month entitlement.

Nah, we're just doing sums based on moving house and potentially starting a family in close proximity.

If you take six months, that means your wife has to return to work after three. It's transferable between parents, not open to both.

Six months sounds gruelling, I'm currently on day eight of my two weeks, and I feel like s***.

Have a friend in civil service who is pretty much the lowest grade you can get. He gets 35 days holiday. Meanwhile in the private sector I get 23. He also gets a paid 20 min break in the morning and another in the afternoon. Something not right somewhere.

Edited by Sion

Have a friend in civil service who is pretty much the lowest grade you can get. He gets 35 days holiday. Meanwhile in the private sector I get 23. He also gets a paid 20 min break in the morning and another in the afternoon. Something not right somewhere.

That would be you not smart enough to get a job in the civil service.

35 days does seem a hell of a lot. I get 26 after 4 years. Does the 35 include bank/public holidays?

I work in the public sector and maternity is 6 months full pay then half pay after that for up to another 6 I think, also paternity is 3 weeks. Unfortunately when we had the kids the missus wasn't so fortunate and she was on statuatory maternity after a few weeks.

Wife is a teacher she took 9 months off. First 6 weeks full pay, next 4 weeks were 90% 18 weeks 50% plus statutory the rest was statutory

Yep, that's what Ive read too now - all based on the Burgundy Book apparently. Need to check rules with my academy mind.