By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

USA road trip

Swipe

Yo.

Anyone here ever done a road trip across the USA?

My wife and I are planning on doing one next summer (one last hurrah before the crushing reality of having kids comes sharply into light) and we’re wondering where to go.

The initial idea was to do the classic west coast trip – starting somewhere like Portland and heading down towards San Francisco hitting up a good few spots along the way.

However, a few people have suggested the east coast is just as good if not better, and can take in an eclectic mix of places from New England all the way down to the Carolinas. Can also go back to places like NYC and Boston (and maybe Chicago) if we want too.

Obviously, this is all dependant on time and money. We’d have 3-4 weeks to do it, and I may be being very optimistic in terms of what we can take in.

Just looking for general opinions on each coast if possible.

Cheers!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me and the mrs were talking about this the other day and came to the conclusion that a road-trip through the Southern states would be our preference.

New Orleans, Texas, Memphis and that - loads to see, great food and nightlife and opportunities for things like staying at a ranch and stuff.

Me and the mrs were talking about this the other day and came to the conclusion that a road-trip through the Southern states would be our preference.

New Orleans, Texas, Memphis and that - loads to see, great food and nightlife and opportunities for things like staying at a ranch and stuff.

A mate in work just came back from a 4 month road trip of the US and he was told not to bother with Texas cos there's nothing there.

Same with New Orleans, as it's apparently only worth going for Mardi Gras.

Edited by Duncan Disorderly

I did one in September from New York City going upstate, then through New England to Cape Cod and Boston. It was really good. We started in Washington DC which I highly recommend then took the train to New York.

I've also done the west coast from San Francisco to San Diego and across to Las Vegas.

They're both good trips, I think I preferred the East coast on balance.

A mate in work just came back from a 4 month road trip of the US and he was told not to bother with Texas cos there's nothing there.

Whoever told him that is wrong

Edited by Rushiesbushymoustache

I'd like to go to Austin, and the Alamo, so that wouldn't apply to me.

Depends what you want from New Orleans I suppose, we wouldn't be going to see loads of drunken students.

He's talking out his a***. Texas is great. Depends what you want I suppose.

New Orleans is brilliant as well. As is the surrounding area. Mississippi is worth exploring too.

If I could go back to the States tomorrow, I'd visit the South again.

I'd like to go to Austin, and the Alamo, so that wouldn't apply to me.

Depends what you want from New Orleans I suppose, we wouldn't be going to see loads of drunken students.

Austin is great. I regret not seeing more of Texas. New Orleans is ace too, although for a finite period of time, IMO. Like Vegas.

Savannah was my favourite spot we went to in the south.

West:

LA, Joshua Tree, Zion, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, Moab, Arches, Vegas.

Boss trip. National Parks galore.

Yeah i think the west might be the more spectacular of the trips.

Yo.

Anyone here ever done a road trip across the USA?

My wife and I are planning on doing one next summer (one last hurrah before the crushing reality of having kids comes sharply into light) and we’re wondering where to go.

The initial idea was to do the classic west coast trip – starting somewhere like Portland and heading down towards San Francisco hitting up a good few spots along the way.

However, a few people have suggested the east coast is just as good if not better, and can take in an eclectic mix of places from New England all the way down to the Carolinas. Can also go back to places like NYC and Boston (and maybe Chicago) if we want too.

Obviously, this is all dependant on time and money. We’d have 3-4 weeks to do it, and I may be being very optimistic in terms of what we can take in.

Just looking for general opinions on each coast if possible.

Cheers!

So you do want to go across the US or up/down one coast?

If it's just one coast, west is undoubtedly the right answer.

How long are you planning to go for?

At least three weeks.

Money permitting, of course.

So you do want to go across the US or up/down one coast?

If it's just one coast, west is undoubtedly the right answer.

Yeah? The idea was to do a coast. Just for the romantic notion of doing a road drip down a coast!

If we were to go across it, I'd imagine the south is the option to take? Looking at the middle of the country, for example, there looks to be a fair few states that don't seem to hold that much interest (although I'm maybe making a crass generalisation).

At least three weeks.

depends on where you have already been (and wish to return to / avoid) and where you think you'd like to go - and why.

there is so much to take in - onthe otherhand if you don't mind driving a lot then its easy to avoid a lot of stuff..

And if you don’t mind flying here then it opens up a lot of possibilities.

EG – fly into somewhere like the Carolinas (US air do direct flights) and take in a bit of the south like Savannah then a couple of days up to DC and look around the museums.

Abandon the car at DC and get the train into NYC for a couple of days then train up to Boston for New Englan/ Cape cod..

Get a cheap flight over to the west coast and do a piece of Route one from San fran – head south then over through the desert to Utah and a few of the national parks. Finish up in Vegas for a few days and fly back from there.

It’s a lot of travelling but it mixes it with public transport and a taste of a lot of America.

Looking at the middle of the country, for example, there looks to be a fair few states that don't seem to hold that much interest (although I'm maybe making a crass generalisation).

yes very crass. but pretty much right on the money

Yeah? The idea was to do a coast. Just for the romantic notion of doing a road drip down a coast!

I can tell you that you can do New England to Florida in 2 days. Not romantic mind....

Ha!

Cheers mate. Some good advice there.

The problem is there's so many places we've already been that we'd love to go back to.

Portland, Austin, Savannah, Boston, Chicago, DC, San Francisco. Then you factor in wanting to see new places.

NYC is a cert regardless of what route we take. We got married there so I'd say we'll finish the trip there.

Edited by Swipe

Always wanted to go to Vancouver but never thought beyond that really.

Really nice city, and good start / end point for visiting the Rockies. It's close to Seattle too. I flew from Toronto to Edmonton, picked a car up and drove down through Jasper and Banff in the Rockies, down to Vancouver and the over to Vancouver Island. It's some of the best scenery I've seen, although the Canadian cities probably don't have the same flair as the big US cities.

At least three weeks.

If we were to go across it, I'd imagine the south is the option to take? Looking at the middle of the country, for example, there looks to be a fair few states that don't seem to hold that much interest (although I'm maybe making a crass generalisation).

You really don't want to stop `9not even at a red light) in the middle of the country - f*cking scary f*ckers live there.

Stick to the coasts would be my advice - and the west coast is superb. I've driven Seattle to Portland, Portland to LA and also SF to San Diego on various different trips. It's all great with just the right amount of things to stop off and do, i.e. loads but not so much that you feel like you're missing out on stuff.

Really nice city, and good start / end point for visiting the Rockies. It's close to Seattle too. I flew from Toronto to Edmonton, picked a car up and drove down through Jasper and Banff in the Rockies, down to Vancouver and the over to Vancouver Island. It's some of the best scenery I've seen, although the Canadian cities probably don't have the same flair as the big US cities.

Yeah that's the thing. Not saying amazing scenery would get boring, but you still need to have interesting cities/towns to visits and as you say, Canada probably can't compete with the US in that sense.

You really don't want to stop `9not even at a red light) in the middle of the country - f*cking scary f*ckers live there.

Stick to the coasts would be my advice - and the west coast is superb. I've driven Seattle to Portland, Portland to LA and also SF to San Diego on various different trips. It's all great with just the right amount of things to stop off and do, i.e. loads but not so much that you feel like you're missing out on stuff.

Excellent. Cheers mate. The wife is worried - although she conceded it's just being uber picky in trying to decide what trip to do - that the west coast could get a little samey with just a procession of beach towns. I'd imagine it'd far, FAR more varied than that?

Yeah that's the thing. Not saying amazing scenery would get boring, but you still need to have interesting cities/towns to visits and as you say, Canada probably can't compete with the US in that sense.

Excellent. Cheers mate. The wife is worried - although she conceded it's just being uber picky in trying to decide what trip to do - that the west coast could get a little samey with just a procession of beach towns. I'd imagine it'd far, FAR more varied than that?

Dip into the interior a bit. Wine country, Yosemite, lake Tahoe, Lake Mono - all a relatively easy drive.