By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Odd mate

Barnesy_10

I've got a mate who thinks its ok to take candid shots of random people in public. He posts them on his instagram and on facebook and is proud of them. Last week he posted pictures of peoples reflections in a mirror in a clothing shop as they were shopping. One of which is of a child trying on a hat...

Now I have had a word with him about it and he says its just 'street photography' and there are no laws against it... Which is apparently true...

A few more of us in work have picked up on it now and mentioning it, but he claims its some kind of quirky art... especially once its gone through a s***ty filter in instagram.

His favourite is to take pics of people on a train just sat there... Reflection in one window shows he is taking it on the sly from his lap area...

I guess he might stop once he gets battered by a father, husband, boyfriend or anyone who catches him doing it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what does he do with the photos?

is he assembling them for a forthcoming show called 'an ordinary life?'

he should be

litters them on facebook and instagram

does he take a picture of you, when you are having a slash?

no... but it may explain where the glory hole appeared from in the lads bogs

Doesn't sound like there's anything sleazy or pervy about it.

really? being honest, if i caught someone taking a picture of my little girl while i'm out i'd launch for them.. i wouldn't even think twice about it..

unless you're being sarcastic of course.. :unsure:

really? being honest, if i caught someone taking a picture of my little girl while i'm out i'd launch for them.. i wouldn't even think twice about it..

and I kind of think this is a sad indictment of the kind of society we think we live in

There's nothing sexual about any of the situations Barnesy has described.

He should get people's permission either before or after, so he's in the wrong on that score, but the subject matter isn't dodgy.

I wouldnt have issue with people taking photos of my kids in the street, might have a word to see whats going on but certainly wouldnt be launching myself at anyone....its not like what happened to my cousin who was changing with her two daughters in a cubicle to go swimming when she spotted a mirror coming under the partition, she freaked...they caught he guy who was videoing stuff through it.

There's nothing sexual about any of the situations Barnesy has described.

He should get people's permission either before or after, so he's in the wrong on that score, but the subject matter isn't dodgy.

yeah quite a few people have challenged him on it and he says stuff like 'its only like what Henri-Cartier-Bresson used to do' and 'I am not doing it for any financial gain'

yeah quite a few people have challenged him on it and he says stuff like 'its only like what Henri-Cartier-Bresson used to do' and 'I am not doing it for any financial gain'

If he's putting it on instagram then they have the copyright and could conceivably use them for financial gain, so he's got to cover that off.

A mate of mine did street photography for his project on a photography course, but if he was keeping the picture he would always show it to the subject and ask them if he could keep it.

Doesn't sound like there's anything sleazy or pervy about it.

If he was solely targeting attractive women and lying on the floor whilst doing it, then it might be moreso

Most of Cartier-Bresson's photos were staged.

My opinion - guys with an big interest in photography are all probably pervs. I had a guy take a buch of family photos once - when I was flicking through what he'd done, half the photos were just of my wife's feet.

Here's a funny story about a 'candid' photographer I saw yesterday - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-22880367

"A man took pictures of unsuspecting female shoppers with a shoe-mounted mini camera, a court has heard....admitted to 'upskirting' when he was arrested...

The court was told that Gibson, whose secret camera was located in the laces of a shoe, was spooked, and, suspecting he was being watched by security staff, left the centre to return to his silver-coloured Ford car.

However, he was easily identified from the livery on the side of the vehicle advertising his Johnny's Driving School."