By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Mo' Wax

pipnasty

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/jun/12/mo-wax-james-lavelle-trip-hop

Really liked some of the stuff they put out - DJ Shadow and Urban Tribe stand out. But, f***ing hell, some of it was so s***. James Lavelle was a bit of a c*** too. And UNKLE was self-indulgant toss.

And 'trip-hop?' - FFS

So - musical pioneers or goateed-up, watered down hip-hop for those too scared of black hip-hop?

This is good;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAYrmsnBAr0

Hi Pip,

So i went through a phase of buying everything that came out on Mo'Wax, wearing A Bathing Ape T shirts and wishing I could grow the kind of scraggly beard that seemed to be popular with fans of their output.

DJ Shadow remains on of my all time favourite recording artists and there was some brilliant stuff on the label but, in my opinion, time had not been kind to a lot of their output. The first UNKLE album was patchy at best and the subsequent ones have felt like James Lavelle follies.

All the Blackalicious, Lyrics Born, Quannum stuff was great but I think the label had petered out by then. None of it feels particularly relevant now, anyway.

Best

Stanley.

Hi Pip,

So i went through a phase of buying everything that came out on Mo'Wax, wearing A Bathing Ape T shirts and wishing I could grow the kind of scraggly beard that seemed to be popular with fans of their output.

DJ Shadow remains on of my all time favourite recording artists and there was some brilliant stuff on the label but, in my opinion, time had not been kind to a lot of their output. The first UNKLE album was patchy at best and the subsequent ones have felt like James Lavelle follies.

All the Blackalicious, Lyrics Born, Quannum stuff was great but I think the label had petered out by then. None of it feels particularly relevant now, anyway.

Best

Stanley.

Hi Stanley and thank you for what is an excellent reply.

I agree with almost everything you have said. Yes, the majority hasn't dated well at all.

But there is probably just enough quality on Mo' Wax to (just about) give it the benefit of the doubt. Dr Octagon also springs to mind.

And, yes, for DJ Shadow alone, we should be thankful for Lavelle and co (although he is still a c***)

All the very best,

P

PS - trip hop should still be seen as a massive crime against humanity and everything about it is truly appalling.

Hi Stanley and thank you for what is an excellent reply.

I agree with almost everything you have said. Yes, the majority hasn't dated well at all.

But there is probably just enough quality on Mo' Wax to (just about) give it the benefit of the doubt. Dr Octagon also springs to mind.

And, yes, for DJ Shadow alone, we should be thankful for Lavelle and co (although he is still a c***)

All the very best,

P

PS - trip hop should still be seen as a massive crime against humanity and everything about it is truly appalling.

This is the future for us, Pip. I like it.

Yes, Dr Octogan is a good shout, I forgot that that was even on Mo'Wax. Saw Kool Keith do an Octagon set a few years back in London and it was pretty dreadful, more's the pity.

Anyway, I got into all that stuff retrospectively. I heard High Noon by DJ Shadow on Mark and Lard's evening show in...1996, maybe? Still have the 12", anyway, remember thinking at the time that I'd just never heard anything like that before. Opened my eyes and ears to a lot of stuff I'd probably not have gotten into otherwise. Also made me think about following labels, as well as artists, which I'd never done before.

I still listen to DJ Shadow and his acolytes a lot - that late 90's/early 00's period was a tremendous time for new music. Never really understood the notion of trip hop - was that just a music journalist invention to categorise interesting, downbeat hip-hoppy stuff?

Btw, I once met James Lavelle - round the time Air released 10,000 Hz Legend, they did a gig at Shepherd's Bush Empire. James Lavelle was the ex of of one of the girls we were with and they bumped into each other. He then latched on to us and spent his time talking sh*te, loudly, all the way through what was a pretty rubbish gig. He seemed like a right t*t. Doubly annoying was that we got offered £400 for our tickets outside. Shepherd's Bush Empire remains my least favourite gig venue in London because of that.

Edited by Stanley Leisure

dj krush and dj dhadow were my favourites of the stuff he put out, dr octagon up there too. Tried listening to the Headz comps not long back, some real s**** on them that doesnt stand up well. South were his biggest crime to my ears.

Good use of visuals and graphics etc and very nice packaging however.

dj krush and dj dhadow were my favourites of the stuff he put out, dr octagon up there too. Tried listening to the Headz comps not long back, some real s**** on them that doesnt stand up well. South were his biggest crime to my ears.

Good use of visuals and graphics etc and very nice packaging however.

Yes, I've ditched most of my cd's now but have kept all that stuff, some of it's fascinating to look back on. I really wanted to like DJ Krush but could never get into it.

South were pretty bad. They effectively became the UNKLE backing band didn't they? Angsty breakbeat. Urgh.

Funnily enough, though, I went to a live scoring of Dead Man's Shoes the other week and most of the musicians were from UNKLE, they were excellent.

Hi Pip,

Best

Stanley.

This is me. I even liked South and I was mad about Psyence Fiction when it came out.

La Funk Mob's "Casse Les Frontières, Fou Les Têtes En L'Air" remains one of my favourite records.

I bought those Headz compilations when they came out. Wouldn't dream of listening to them these days.

DJ Shadow's alright but he should be chastised for the title "Why Hip Hop Sucks in 96" forever and ever. "Hip hop" did not "suck" in "96" and if it did, I'm not sure what he was doing to alleviate it, the fecking hippy.

Had several Mo Wax records on vinyl but found much of it dull and repetitive and think most of it was released because it was fashionable / well named

Dance labels like Cleveland City, AM:PM etc were similar. Some cracking tunes but some of it...

A quick look at my 'catalogue' tells me that I only own records by UNKLE and DJ Shadow on the Mo'Wax label - which probably means that at best I was paying no more than lip (or ear) service to their output and didn't find the rest of it sufficiently interesting to make me dig deeper. Entroducing is (mostly) a boss record though.

A quick look at my 'catalogue' tells me that I only own records by UNKLE and DJ Shadow on the Mo'Wax label - which probably means that at best I was paying no more than lip (or ear) service to their output and didn't find the rest of it sufficiently interesting to make me dig deeper. Entroducing is (mostly) a boss record though.

Is this catalogue in Excel?