By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

How fit

5InIstanbul

...can you get in 3 weeks from a standing start through rowing machine, cycling etc?

Wrecked my knee several years ago, not been able to do much with it for what feels to long (3 years). All sorted now, well, within reason, and have a goal that's 3 weeks away .

So, if my base level is a hypothetical 1 out of 10, how far can I move this in 3 weeks?

Any advice gratefully accepted. Ta

Edited by 5inIstanbul

I started on a similar kick a few weeks back - no exercise to speak of for ages apart from the odd round of golf and regular but not too often walking, largely avoided anything more strenuous for the last few years because of bad knees and ankles... so about 3 weeks ago I decided on a whim to go out for a run, got my running shoes out the back of the wardrobe.

Anyway, I surprised myself that night by actually being able to run continuously for a mile which i wouldn't have thought myself capable of at all. It might no sound much but I really was that unfit. And I have contined on form there, now going out for a short but increasingly fast run at least a couple of times a week and trying to stay a bit more active inbetween times than I normally am. I'm hardly Mo Farrah all of a sudden but I feel miles better for not that much more effort.

I'm sure I could be pushing myself further and harder but I've no interest in that - I don't want a heart attack or an Andrew Marr-like exercise-induced stroke so I'm just taking it easy and building it up bit by bit. At my age I'm in that kind of danger zone.

On the 1-10 scale I'm probably just on a 2.5 but if I was 15 years younger and going out 4 times a week Im sure I'd be approaching 6 or more by now.

Edited by charlie clown

3 factors -

natural fitness - some people are luckier than others. I spent a month on crutches, and had 3 weeks after getting off them to get ready for a half-marathon. Granted a month isn't 3 years, but I still beat the s*** out of the race & put in my 3rd fastest half time.

Psychology - this is a massive part of it. How do you think TdF cyclists....hmmm maybe a bad example....marathon runners, or other endurance sport people do it? A big chunk is mental attitude (obviously that doesn't replace natural ability)

diet - kind of loops back to above, what and how you eat will help

Key to all of it is don't do too much too soon or you will hurt yourself. If running, aim for 10% increases in distance per week for example

...can you get in 3 weeks from a standing start through rowing machine, cycling etc?

Wrecked my knee several years ago, not been able to do much with it for what feels to long (3 years). All sorted now, well, within reason, and have a goal that's 3 weeks away .

So, if my base level is a hypothetical 1 out of 10, how far can I move this in 3 weeks?

Any advice gratefully accepted. Ta

What is the goal?

You should be able to get 30% of improvement in that time though that depends on how much you put in. Try finding a steep hill to run up but maybe walk down so as not to aggravate the knee, hills are great for getting you to a level of fitness quicker whilst strengthening a lot more of the running muscles rather than a flat run, also better for the knees!

Edited by domlfc

Cheers chaps, appreciate the encouragement.

Ive managed to keep the weight off by and large, just exercise has been lacking. Diet is not too bad, girlfriend is a vegi so i only ever eat meat when shes not around. Lot of fish and veg, but im a sod for cheese and a glass or two.

Goal is to drop a further half stone (im 6ft, 13st 10).. Off round southern Europe on the motorbike for a couple of weeks. We press on a bit and in the heat its quite physically testing for 4-6 hours a day.

So objective is to finish each days ride feeling a lot fresher than I would if I did sod all for the next 3 weeks.

Hitting the air rower shortly, first time in 3 years, 15-17 minutes is the goal.

also don't just look at weight. Your build comes way into it. I'm about 5'11" and a skinny f*****, hence why I can run long distances well, and remember MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT, so you could put weight on and still be achieving your goals

Look at your heart rate, that gives a good pointer to cardio fitness, normal is 60-100bpm, 60 is pretty bloody good

Cheers chaps, appreciate the encouragement.

Ive managed to keep the weight off by and large, just exercise has been lacking. Diet is not too bad, girlfriend is a vegi so i only ever eat meat when shes not around. Lot of fish and veg, but im a sod for cheese and a glass or two.

Goal is to drop a further half stone (im 6ft, 13st 10).. Off round southern Europe on the motorbike for a couple of weeks. We press on a bit and in the heat its quite physically testing for 4-6 hours a day.

So objective is to finish each days ride feeling a lot fresher than I would if I did sod all for the next 3 weeks.

Hitting the air rower shortly, first time in 3 years, 15-17 minutes is the goal.

If just weight loss you're after 5:2 diet is good. Loads of climbers I know use it for a few weeks at a time before trying a big objective

If just weight loss you're after 5:2 diet is good. Loads of climbers I know use it for a few weeks at a time before trying a big objective

Being married to a health professional , she looked into this diet (as a neighbour said they were going to do it - and we hadn't heard of it), it appears from medical studies there are lots of doubts with not enough clinical data yet to see if the diet actually does more long tern harm than good. It still classified a fad.

forget diets and s**** like that, if you want to lose weight or get fit there's only one way and that's loads of f***ing hard work and a change in lifestyle; that doesn't mean for the worse as pretty soon you get a buzz out of hitting targets, lifting more, going farther, faster or whatever your goal is. There are no short cuts