By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Bali

The Hitman

Anybody ever been?

I'm looking to head there with the missus in September, stopping off to see a mate in Singapore on the way.

We're looking at a couple of nights in Singapore and then about 8 nights somewhere nice in Bali. Looking for nice beaches, food, might try learning something like surfing/scuba. Also fancied seeing if we could head to see some Komodo dragons at the national park.

Any ideas/recommendations?

it's a lovely place. kuta and seminyak were my favourites but there's lots of little places around the island if you want to get proper away from it all. you can fly air asia from singapore to denpasar as well which is cheap.

Bali is boss. Hire a jeep and explore. The island is (probably) smaller than you think

yeah, couple of hours to drive round? don't think i ever went around the whole thing and i was on a motorbike but it's not massive by any stretch.

bali is class....Id definitely recommend heading to ubud, some lovely places to stay..we basically had a 4 star hotel to ourselves so attention to detail was unbelievable and it was cheap as f***...then again that was a few months after the bombings so they were a bit desperate for trade...if you go to Ubud creative tattoos you'll see my picture on the wall.

If you can fit it in Id say try and get to the gili islands....mushrooms are legal there and all the bars sell them on the main island...good thing is theres no roads or vehicles on the island and it takes an hour to dander round...beautiful beaches all the way.

Ill dig out some of the bumf from when we were there and post it here later.

Edited by Ostrich Man

bali is class....Id definitely recommend heading to ubud, some lovely places to stay..we basically had a 4 star hotel to ourselves so attention to detail was unbelievable and it was cheap as f***...then again that was a few months after the bombings so they were a bit desperate for trade...

Yeah I was in Ubud around the same time. We stayed in an amazing room for less than a tenner a night.

Bali was eerily quiet though

Second the stuff about Ubud, although it is about 15 years now since I was there.

We also went up to Lovina in the North, there's some good diving up there, including a US navy shipwreck and lots of dolphins.

Some parts of Kuta are very touristy and full of aussies depending on when you go.

I've also heard great things about the Gili islands.

• 2 months later...

would suggest finding whichever bank does free overseas withdrawls bailo - used to be nationwide - and open an account with them. then just stick your holiday spendies in that and take your credit cards with you as back-up. leave them in the hotel safe etc. assuming you've still got time to do that before you go.

if not, just ATMs and credit card back-ups. apart from laos and maybe cambodia still asia is positively swamped with cashpoints. another tip is try and use ones attached to bank branches though rather than free-standing ones. that way if your card should get eaten you can go in the bank branch to get it back.

I'm in seminyak now and it seems decent so far and quite cheap. Quick to get here from the airport. Beach is very average though so get a villa with pool or hotel with decent grounds. Had a bevy in the W hotel yesterday and that's quite flash if that's what your into. Plenty of restaurants etc. Taxis are cheap to get round the place.

Off to Nusa Dua for a few days tomorrow. Should be different from here I think

• 1 month later...

Anybody got food recommendations for Seminyak and Ubud?

Going next week!!

I'm flying there this saturday , can't wait

the only annoying thing is that I have to wait for two weeks until my honeymoon is over to catch up on the final episode of breaking Bad

Anybody got food recommendations for Seminyak and Ubud?

Going next week!!

Ubud is great - take a day to wander around, eat, check out the art shops, galleries and temples. We ate at a great little place, if a little touristy, I'll dig out the name. If you're looking for somewhere to stay, the Alila Ubud is the best hotel we've ever stayed in. Recommend doing a bike tour around the area and there are walks around the rice fields you can do, great for photos.