By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Peter Alliss

charlie clown

Genuine question this:

So... he is a self-congratulatory, 19th hole bore, name dropping, arran sweater wearing, listen to me, tory. But none of that really separates him from a lot of other sport commentators - and yet the hatred for him seems to be overwhelming. Am I missing something?

Edited by charlie clown

Genuine question this:

So... he is a self-congratulatory, 19th hole bore, name dropping, arran sweater wearing, listen to me, tory. But none of that really separates him from a lot of other sport commentators - and yet the hatred for him seems to be overwhelming. Am I missing something?

has he paid tribute to Thatcher or something?

has he paid tribute to Thatcher or something?

No. Not at all. But I've seen posts from a fair few people on here who seem to regard him as some kind of parasitical scumbag with an evil past... always wondered if I was missing something other than the obvious which I listed in my first post in this thread. And despite all that stuff I do find him quite affable and easy to listen to...

I've never found Alliss that bad but then I'm probably sympathetic to golfers ;-)

I get the impression he's probably one of those to denounce "immigrants and scroungers" after a couple of gins but there's worse of that about: he's no thatcher/osborne in short, more of a fellow traveller

No. Not at all. But I've seen posts from a fair few people on here who seem to regard him as some kind of parasitical scumbag with an evil past... always wondered if I was missing something other than the obvious which I listed in my first post in this thread. And despite all that stuff I do find him quite affable and easy to listen to...

He's an old fart. I used to think he was funny, but now I find him pretty boring. And I remember a long rant from him about bringing back national service some years ago because young people were out of control, no respect, blah blah blah. This during a golf commentary, obviously.

His commentary last night was terrible. It was like the golf was getting in the way of him telling his life story.

At one stage he was on about his father going down to caddy at the local golf club at the age of 10; just like Angel Cabrera did. He droned on for a few minutes about that

He's still entertaining though

Best thing he did was that program on BBC 2 when he payed with famous people and celebs and interviewed them as they went around. And then it was most watchable when seve ballesteros & Lee Trevino were on it.

He did one show where the Pro's could only take two or three, or four clubs with them and when Seve' was t***ting the ball with a iron when a wood was needed, seeing him deliberately hook it to get more power and distance on the ball was just amazing!!

Hearing that Le Travino made money for a his mother and siblings by having bets as to how he would win a round of golf using a glass bottle and shovel instead of clubs, the sort of stuff that sticks in your brain when your a kid.

So I guess, after reading that back, his best programs were those, but because other people were on them.

Around with Alliss, that's what it was.

Edited by Buzz