By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Desert Islands Discs Archive ...

Case

.... now includes many guests of Roy Plomley and Michael Parkinson as well as Lawley/Young

The music choices are often a load of cack, but I find it one of the best shows for finding out about the lives of a vast array of different people in a show that lasts just 25 minutes or so.

Downloadable from iTunes or here

She's trying to get trumpets banned in Burma I heard.

:lol:

Love DID myself. The best ones are the people who take you by surprise and pick a load of belters. Or someone you don't know at all that picks really good stuff.

Just realised I've not listened in a while. That's my weekend mornings sorted.

I love DID, one of my real guilty pleasures. In fact a lot of em are on R4.

Always loved the 6.30pm slot and DID on Radio 4, but when I had a job that involved driving all over the country, I got sick of listening to music in the car and started listening to R4 instead. Thats mostly whats on in my car now, kids and mrs don't like it much, though the 11 year old likes 6.30pm comedies and the archers, so I am chiping away at him now..... ;)

The afternoon plays are great too!

Always loved the 6.30pm slot and DID on Radio 4, but when I had a job that involved driving all over the country, I got sick of listening to music in the car and started listening to R4 instead. Thats mostly whats on in my car now, kids and mrs don't like it much, though the 11 year old likes 6.30pm comedies and the archers, so I am chiping away at him now..... ;)

The afternoon plays are great too!

There's some decent stuff on between 4 and 5 usually as well. I just can't tolerate the intellect-free zone that is 5live these days.

There's some decent stuff on between 4 and 5 usually as well. I just can't tolerate the intellect-free zone that is 5live these days.

Very true, there isn't any rationalised intellectual debate on 5live anymore, there used to be some decent stuff. R4 does give a very good reasoned debate, by letting all sides have their say, leaving you to make up your own mind.

Very true, there isn't any rationalised intellectual debate on 5live anymore, there used to be some decent stuff. R4 does give a very good reasoned debate, by letting all sides have their say, leaving you to make up your own mind.

I hate to say it but 5live comes across as a government mouthpiece these days. Dissenting voices are shouted down or ignored and the editorial line is clear for all to hear.

I hate to say it but 5live comes across as a government mouthpiece these days. Dissenting voices are shouted down or ignored and the editorial line is clear for all to hear.

Not just 5 Live but the BBC as a whole. The Today programme is a disgrace more often than not.

I quite like Humphry's devils advocate in his interviews against certain politicians, but i don't like Evan Davies much. General programming is good though, Women's hour and Midweek. Moral Maze is good, but can be a big big let down from what it should have been. Tomorrows Moral Maze...could have been, thinking about the other thread, interesting, but then Portillo...

It doesn't matter which side of the gay marriage debate you are on it seems that both sides agree on one thing - the moral virtue of marriage. The institution of a public declaration of commitment between two individuals is said to be a cornerstone of society promoting stable relationships, commitment and self-sacrifice. The very virtues that traditionalists say make marriage unique are the same ones liberals argue should therefore be made available to all, whatever their sexuality. It's not just an argument here. The French and Americans have also been battling over who should be allowed to marry. But the debate raises some difficult questions. If marriage is such a moral virtue shouldn't the state be actively promoting it? After all, isn't that one of the main purposes of the state - to pursue policies that promote virtue among citizens? So for a start how about tax breaks for those getting married? And if marriage is such a public good, shouldn't all those liberals who want to widen the marriage franchise also be thinking about stigmatising those behaviours and changing those policies that undermine it? Should divorce be made harder? Should lone parents get less financial help from the state? And if marriage is so good, what's the point of civil partnerships? How far should the state encourage marriage?

Combative, provocative and engaging debate chaired by Michael Buerk with Michael Portillo, Melanie Phillips, Matthew Taylor and Kenan Malik

Went to pick the MIL up on Sunday and it was Julie Burchill on sounding very much the 6 year old with a cold. Highlights include: she doesn't go out much because she finds people boring and herself fascinating, gets parasexual thrills from starting a new feud, doesm't regrett walking out on her son, spiked a quiet interviewees coffee with speed, but, got caught doing it by his manager.. Was interesting to be fair, but i've never liked her and it was kinda fun finding out more things to disliike her about.