By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Israel outdoes itself

madaboutlfc

Israel gave birth control to Ethiopian Jews without their consent

Israel has admitted for the first time that it has been giving Ethiopian Jewish immigrants birth-control injections, often without their knowledge or consent.

The government had previously denied the practice but the Israeli Health Ministry’s director-general has now ordered gynaecologists to stop administering the drugs. According a report in Haaretz, suspicions were first raised by an investigative journalist, Gal Gabbay, who interviewed more than 30 women from Ethiopia in an attempt to discover why birth rates in the community had fallen dramatically.

One of the Ethiopian women who was interviewed is quoted as saying: “They [medical staff] told us they are inoculations. We took it every three months. We said we didn’t want to.” It is alleged that some of the women were forced or coerced to take the drug while in transit camps in Ethiopia.

The drug in question is thought to be Depo-Provera, which is injected every three months and is considered to be a highly effective, long-lasting contraceptive.

Nearly 100,000 Ethiopian Jews have moved to Israel under the Law of Return since the 1980s, but their Jewishness has been questioned by some rabbis. Last year, the Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, who also holds the health portfolio, warned that illegal immigrants from Africa “threaten our existence as a Jewish and democratic state”.

Haaretz published an extract from a letter sent by the Ministry of Health to units administering the drug. Doctors were told “not to renew prescriptions for Depo Provera for women of Ethiopian origin if for any reason there is concern that they might not understand the ramifications of the treatment”.

Sharona Eliahu Chai, a lawyer for the Association of Civil Rights in Israel (ACRI), said: “Findings from investigations into the use of Depo Provera are extremely worrisome, raising concerns of harmful health policies with racist implications in violation of medical ethics. The Ministry of Health’s director-general was right to act quickly and put forth new guidelines.”

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's staggering. It's almost as if Israel has some criteria about what constitutes a proper Israeli.

No Blacks, no Dogs, No Goyim....

no blacks ? read the article 100,000 Ethiopian's have mooved to Isreal

no Goyim ? Im not Jewish and i lived there for 30 years

no dogs ? wtf?

im not trying to defend whats happened here if its true (i cant find it on the Haaretz web site) then its a national disgrace

no dogs ? wtf?

im not trying to defend whats happened here if its true (i cant find it on the Haaretz web site) then its a national disgrace

UK racism often manifested with signs outside pubs in the 70s expecially that said no blacks no dogs no Irish.

I guess the poster was making reference to that.

It's easy not being racist prior to having to deal with other races.

no dogs ? wtf?

It took me about 15 seconds to find it.

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/state-admits-problematic-birth-control-shots-for-ethiopian-women-1.496664

thanks

UK racism often manifested with signs outside pubs in the 70s expecially that said no blacks no dogs no Irish.

I guess the poster was making reference to that.

It's easy not being racist prior to having to deal with other races.

I dont really understand this , Israel has always been a nation of mixed races probably more than most other nations

But...But...Judaism isn't a race...

Jews can be European, African, Asian, even Eskimo.

Probably wise not to steam in uninformed like.

I dont really understand this , Israel has always been a nation of mixed races probably more than most other nations

And yet the influx of Ethiopian jews is seen as a danger to Israel and they are the largest African jewish community. Those comments regarding the position of Ethipoian jews is pretty clear like, this behaviour speaks even louder to it.

My point being, Israel is meant to be home to Jews regardless of race, because Judaism is a religion not a race. But if the Jews are from Ethiopia, why else were they giving these injections? Or have they done this with immigrants from other, non-African countries? A sectarian state covertly sterilising a certain section of its own populace which it sees as undesirable? I'm not saying this because it's Israel, this would be unforgivable in any country, but I wouldn't envisage any strong sanctions being brought against Israel because of this.

Edited by Duncan Disorderly

This story has been going around for months.

Naturally theres no mainstream media criticism of Israel for implementing what amounts to a racial eugenics programme, because that would be "Anti-Semitic", just as rightful criticism of their treatment of Palestinians, or outrage over their slaughter of civilians in Gaza is "Anti-Semitic".

BBC are the worst, Guardian aren't far behind these days.

And yet the influx of Ethiopian jews is seen as a danger to Israel and they are the largest African jewish community. Those comments regarding the position of Ethipoian jews is pretty clear like, this behaviour speaks even louder to it.

then why did they airlift them to Israel if it was thought they were a danger

This story has been going around for months.

Naturally theres no mainstream media criticism of Israel for implementing what amounts to a racial eugenics programme, because that would be "Anti-Semitic", just as rightful criticism of their treatment of Palestinians, or outrage over their slaughter of civilians in Gaza is "Anti-Semitic".

BBC are the worst, Guardian aren't far behind these days.

how could it be termed anti- semetic to critisize Jews abusing other Jews ? the Ethiopians are Jews ,dont forget It was an Israeli paper that exposed it first (or am i wrong?)

Edited by badtodabone

My point being, Israel is meant to be home to Jews regardless of race, because Judaism is a religion not a race. But if the Jews are from Ethiopia, why else were they giving these injections? Or have they done this with immigrants from other, non-African countries? A sectarian state covertly sterilising a certain section of its own populace which it sees as undesirable? I'm not saying this because it's Israel, this would be unforgivable in any country, but I wouldn't envisage any strong sanctions being brought against Israel because of this.

most Israeli's are secular and non religious so are they not Jews? I dont know the full story but as I said earlier its a disgrace , and I would expect the government to deal with those responsible

All of them? All 100,000? What do you make of Netanyahu's comments in the first post?

no not all the 100,000. something like 30% of the Ethiopians living in Isreal were born there

hes talking about Illegal immigrants

Edited by badtodabone

yeah published in relation to this story so without getting deeper into it lets consider there's a relationship.

So the 100,000 Ethiopian Jews, all airlifted then? And you may want to consider Neimeyer's question like.

already answered that, and I have already given my opinion on the story

so they airlifted the other 70,000 then?

I don't know why you have an issue with the Israeli state being called racist as a consequence of a program to place African women on contraceptives without their knowledge

again I dont know the full story , for instance was it a government policy ? how many people were involved ? how many people knew about it? calling all of Israel racist because of this is absurd .

again I dont know the full story , for instance was it a government policy ? how many people were involved ? how many people knew about it? calling all of Israel racist because of this is absurd .

Do you think the widespread delivery of a contraceptive to a specific racial group in Israel happens without the government knowing and after previous denials.

This is a racist policy ergo.