By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Right... I'm lighting a fire

charlie clown

Happy with this effort - started roaring straitght away. Proper house coal, logs and peat blocks all thrown in. Feck the environment.

And as it happens I am thinking of starting a moral crusade. We've got a one way system at the end of our road and twice in the last week I've been met by some mad fecker coming the wrong way down there at > the speed limit. When challeneged, their self righteous c***ery is beyond belief. I'm thinking of calling for the right to maim the driver and torch the car.

Edited by charlie clown

I love the idea of an open fire but fear id never go to sleep for worrying about whether it had gone out properly at night.

They're usually surrounded by concrete stone or brick and have a guard, they die petty quickly as well so as long as you're not putting much on about 30 minutes before going to bed it's sound.

Open fires just don't seem to generate the same kind of heat as stoves, which makes sense I guess given the stove becomes a hot iron box in the room. Heavier hardwood seems to burn longer but not as hot.

Been using logs the last couple of weeks and they're hopeless.

No idea where to get hold of peat around here, but I'm giving the house coal a go this weekend.

Coal and wood together make the best fires. Wood burns great but you need the right type, hard wood burns for ages. Fruit tree wood burns well, I used to cut massive logs up from an old pear tree I had in the back garden of my old house.

But what if the fireguard falls over and that last little bit of wood that looked out pops and sends out a burning ember of doom?

fireguards dont just fall over. Theyre designed not to...mad isnt it.

Anyway what sort of prices you lot paying for coal?

Edited by Ostrich Man

I paid £32.50 for 6 x 25kg bags last weekend and it's much better than the stuff I used to get delivered from Bangor Fuels. Could easily go through a bag a day at the weekend - I really must use more slack.

I've just cut down about a dozen leylandi (sp?!) in the back garden so I'll not have to buy any wood this winter that's for sure!

Nothing beats an open fire if you're not scrimping on coal and it's blowing a gale outside.

Edited by Tobes Rafa

We get those logs that burn for 3 hours (you can get ones that last 4 hours) and they are great. You can almost set your watch by them and they leave far less mess than the old fashioned fire. They're Canadian too so probably far less harmful for the environment than they should be.

I paid £32.50 for 6 x 25kg bags last weekend and it's much better than the stuff I used to get delivered from Bangor Fuels. Could easily go through a bag a day at the weekend - I really must use more slack.

I've just cut down about a dozen leylandi (sp?!) in the back garden so I'll not have to buy any wood this winter that's for sure!

Nothing beats an open fire if you're not scrimping on coal and it's blowing a gale outside.

Hope you dried them out?

Had two multi fuel stoves at our last place and they were fantastic, the one on the kitchen was large enough to heat the hot water had we wanted it to. Underfloor heating put in last week but will be investing in a wood burner for the new place in a few months as a back up just in case...

Also have a bioethanol fire, kicks out something fierce but doesn't last long and fuel is expensive, more decor than anything else.

Edited by Eskimo