By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Rugby

kop205

Have avoided the England score as will watch the highlights at 7 so none of you can talk about it until then, ta.

Wales - seem to have massive difficulty winning games they should. Do they overhype themselves? The rugby equivalent of the England football team in that sense? Without the c*** fans, obviously. Know they've done well in the 6 Nations but they've done nothing of great note beyond that really.

Ireland - got a couple of imports in the squad I believe? Thought they didn't do that?

Anyway, rankings will be interesting at end of all this. Though reckon home nations will all do very well to get more than one win each so it could be as you were.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wales were absolutely hopeless today.

So what's going on then?

Not as good as cracked up to be?

Bottlers?

Bit of both?

I've no problem with them doing well, such a great rugby tradition there and they've produced so many great, great players - including loads of prominent Lions in the like of Edwards, JPR, John , Bennett, Gibbs and the like (the latter probably not at the level of the others to be fair!)

So what's going on then?

Bottlers?

Bit of both?

I've no problem with them doing well, such a great rugby tradition there and they've produced so many great, great players - including loads of prominent Lions in the like of Edwards, JPR, John , Bennett, Gibbs and the like (the latter probably not at the level of the others to be fair!)

Like ifanew said, there was just a lack of ideas. Just having boss players doesn't cut it every time.

I think their 6 nations record shows that they're not bottlers though.

Argentina played very well, blocked off any space Wales might exploit and made great use of the opportunities they had. Great finishing on both tries.

Edited by cymrococh

So what's going on then?

Bottlers?

Bit of both?

I've seen all of the era's, all of the way back to Barry John. I know it is tough to compare generations, and players from the 70's would be fitter and stronger if they played now. But to be honest, the players of today are phenomenal. Gareth would probably be a superstar if he played today, but players like JPR or Merv would really struggle IMO and the legendary Pontypool front row would get shoved all over the park. Bennet was just a stone cold great kicker so he'd do OK and Gibbs was at the start of the professional era so he'd do well.

I think the Argentina game may be a bad sign of things to come. There are problems with the Welsh players going abroad and not playing enough.

Like ifanew said, there was just a lack of ideas. Just having boss players doesn't cut it every time.

I think their 6 nations record shows that they're not bottlers though.

Argentina played very well, blocked off any space Wales might exploit and made great use of the opportunities they had. Great finishing on both tries.

Yeah, 'bottle' is a s*** word anyway really but suppose what I'm asking is - have they underachieved on the World stage, or do they do about as well as they should given what they have available?

Surely part of being a boss player is that you do have ideas, a plan B, whatever you want to call.

If they don't, are they quite as boss as people think?

Not sure New Zealand have a Plan B in fairness - and maybe that is what cost them in previous World Cups - though they are currently so chock full of talent that having boss players pretty much does cut it for them. They just go out and do their thing.

Argentina are a proper side though now, no doubt about it, and it is great they are now playing the 3 big boys on a regular basis. Can see them becoming a real force.

I know it is tough to compare generations,

It is virtually impossible.

The only meaningful way of doing it really is to compare the impact that teams/players had on the generation in which they played.

The current group, and some current players, certainly come out of that relatively well - without anyone quite bestriding the game the way some of those from the past did.

Yeah, 'bottle' is a s*** word anyway really but suppose what I'm asking is - have they underachieved on the World stage, or do they do about as well as they should given what they have available?

Surely part of being a boss player is that you do have ideas, a plan B, whatever you want to call.

If they don't, are they quite as boss as people think?

I think it would be harsh to say they've underachieved. They were an extra foot on Halfpenny's penalty away from a World Cup final, with 14 men.

They looked incredibly disjointed Saturday, and Argentina looked great.

It's hard to put a finger on, it has often been a criticism that there isn't a plan B and if plan A isn't working then we're screwed. Saturday's defeat was much more basic than that though, too many players who looked woefully out of touch; Faletau was the one major exception. Warburton and Roberts had been criticised for their poor regional form but the likes of North and Cuthbert had been in good form. We had key players missing from the front and back row and although I would have preferred Tipuric to Turnbull the lads who came in did ok

We weren't able to change or dictate the pace of the game and I thing the questions asked about Priestland's recent form compared to Biggar and who should have the number 10 shirt are likely to continue. I just hope that it was just one of those days, a slow start and a one off and they'll put in a decent performance against Samoa or the tests against NZ and Aus could be very embarrassing .

I think it would be harsh to say they've underachieved. They were an extra foot on Halfpenny's penalty away from a World Cup final, with 14 men.

Yeah, true enough.

Just always seem to fall slightly short at World level but probably isn't one reason - with plain bad luck sometimes playing a part.

Missing Adam Jones was key. There's no platform without him at the scrum and the Pumas could disrupt and set their own plays with ease.

Faletau aside the back row was pony too.

Will be interesting to see any changes when Gatland returns.

Missing Adam Jones was key. There's no platform without him at the scrum and the Pumas could disrupt and set their own plays with ease.

Faletau aside the back row was pony too.

Will be interesting to see any changes when Gatland returns.

It would help to have Shaun Edwards running things. Howley does nothing for me.

Very mixed performance from England. Should have won the game really. Turning down kickable penalties with plenty time on the clock came back to bite us on the a***.

Aussie try was from a blatant forward pass too - feck knows how that was missed - the 22 line was a clear guide.