By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Hiatus hernia/reflux

Ed the Wool

Are you on the maximum dose of omeprazole or esomeprazole?

Also try adding ranitidine (can get over the counter) morning and night and a gaviscon tablet with each meal.

Work out your triggers and eliminate them - cheese, chocolate, bread and spicy food are usual culprits. Don't eat your last meal too late and then don't snack before bed. Exercise and get your weight down if you're not in shape already.

Obviously you still want to drink so I would take an omeprazole tablet and a couple of gaviscon tablets before you know you're going to have a few.

Surgery is really a last resort. It is much less common after the introduction of proton pump inhibitors (ie omeprazole) mainly because these are so effective in general. Other than general anaesthetic risk and other surgical complication risks it sometimes doesn't rid the reflux completely. The theory is wrapping the stomach around the last bit of the gullet where it enters the stomach should stop any stomach contents passing back up into the gullet. Now sometimes this wrap can be too tight and can cause swallowing problems so people can require further operations to open it up again.

Saying that surgery is sometimes necessary if medication and lifestyle changes really haven't been effective and its really affecting your life. If that is he case then it's definitely worth a discussion with an upper GI surgeon and a work up of investigations - size of hiatus hernia will also make a difference and although a gastroscopy can give a good indication, best test for this is probably a barium swallow.

Cheers FCPG.

I was on Omeprozole but have pretty much gone without it the last 2 years. I have put a bit if weight on the last 12 months, could do with losing a stone or so. It's only really a problem if I have a few to drink or a curry, but f*** me it lets itself known.

Guess its probably part of getting older, am 40 next year.

I think I'll try Gaviscon before a few drinks see how that goes and then maybe get some more omeprozol. The reason I stopped it before was its a right palaver getting an appointment at the quacks each time.

Ah ranitidine is Zantac here.

Thank again. Probably getting that weight off is a start.

Had a nightmare week with my guts, got prescribed Ranitidine a few years ago and have it on repeat prescription just in case.

Was out last Friday,drinking on an empty head again,had a visit from Huey and Ralph :nono: , then we had a party in the house Saturday (no drink cos I was ruff as...) but managed to hang about the buffet for too long, pickled onions was the culprit I think.

If it flairs up Ranitidine usually sorts it out in a couple of days, thats been a week now and still suffering, think a trip to the quack is in order.

Kaolin and morphine if you can get it. Boots used to do their own but stopped cos of the morphine bit, but I've never come across anything better.

you can't get it any more sadly.

Will Self wrote an entertaining thing about him driving miles and miles visiting loads of chemists to buy bottles of the stuff. The morphine syrup settles on the top, you can guess the rest.

Yeah, I'm on Omeprazole, was on Lansporazole for years but developed an intolerance to it so was sapped over about 2 years back. I went 48 hours without any medicine a couple of weeks back and was OK - first time in donkeys' years that I've gone med free and not had horrible burning and uncomfortable guts the next day.

My dad suffered from a hiatus hernia for years so I know who bad it gets.

you can't get it any more sadly.

Will Self wrote an entertaining thing about him driving miles and miles visiting loads of chemists to buy bottles of the stuff. The morphine syrup settles on the top, you can guess the rest.

Did it as a spoken word track on that Bomb The Bass Album.

This sounds boss. Does it leave you smacked off your face as well?

I think I prefer this direction for a medical thread.

I'm sorry for your condition, I'm reassured you don't think it will kill you and good luck with the kaolin and morphine.

I think I prefer this direction for a medical thread.

I'm sorry for your condition, I'm reassured you don't think it will kill you and good luck with the kaolin and morphine.

Ironically, I rarely take an over the counter medicine, aspin/parecetamol, gaviscon, but still like a bit of recreational from time to time.

Kaolin and morphine sound worth a crack though.

The reason I stopped it before was its a right palaver getting an appointment at the quacks each time.

That does surprise me, I have a repeat prescription so I just have to pop my head in at the surgery and 2 days later it is there. Every couple of years, have to have a chat with the doc about my usage but no bother.

I've been on Lanzaprozole for about 15 years, used to be 1 a day but now I take it when I need it mind you I don't drink or smoke anywhere near as much as I used to. I find taking one tablet before the night out and 1 the day after takes care of most binges, failing that drinking copious of quantities of milk helps take the edge off until the drugs do their stuff.

That does surprise me, I have a repeat prescription so I just have to pop my head in at the surgery and 2 days later it is there. Every couple of years, have to have a chat with the doc about my usage but no bother.

I've been on Lanzaprozole for about 15 years, used to be 1 a day but now I take it when I need it mind you I don't drink or smoke anywhere near as much as I used to. I find taking one tablet before the night out and 1 the day after takes care of most binges, failing that drinking copious of quantities of milk helps take the edge off until the drugs do their stuff.

Central London. They offer you an appointment three weeks in the future at 1 pm on a Tuesday or something. I blame Thatcher.

cough ahem!!

boom!!

I was mistaken. I used to like it for settling my stomach with a hangover.

Just did a quick calculation with the information on that page. Turns out there are just over 18 milligrams of morphine per bottle. God knows how many bottles you'd need to process to get a big enough dose to get smacked off your thruppenys.

I was mistaken. I used to like it for settling my stomach with a hangover.

Just did a quick calculation with the information on that page. Turns out there are just over 18 milligrams of morphine per bottle. God knows how many bottles you'd need to process to get a big enough dose to get smacked off your thruppenys.

Hopefully someone with more science acumen than me will come along and tell us.

When I was having my little mental breakdown (live on YNWA) I got reflux pretty bad. Think it was related to the stress at the time and I put on quite a bit of weight too.

Then I had to have a couple of operations and not being able to eat solids due to the surgery around my mouth plus the heavy painkillers (diclofenac) played absolute havoc with my stomach. At one point when I bent forward the stuff from my stomach was literally sloshing up into my mouth.

I was on the lanzoprazole for a while as well which helped.

After the surgery and when things started to look brighter I really wanted to 'do something' to help my body (and mind) get better so I signed up to David Lloyd, went on a diet and really got myself into shape. I lost about 21 pounds over a couple on months and no longer suffer from acid.

I think in my case the stress and weight were the cause. I ate an incredibly spicy meal the other day though and my throat did that thing where it constricts and you feel like there's a lump there for a day or two which is related to GERD - so there is obviously still some acid going on in my stomach but I don't feel the burn of it anymore.

Edited by Leo No.8