By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Virus f***ing s**** Stuff!

Bootser

Home laptop has four users - myself (Admin), Missus and two sprogs. I can log on but the other three get a 'welcome' and then immediately get a 'Logging Off'' and they can't access anything. Doing my head in. BTW when I run Malware I got 216 dodgy items. Do I need to tick @remove' on all of them.

f***ing technology. f*** f*** f*** ... repeat ad infinitum.

Home laptop has four users - myself (Admin), Missus and two sprogs. I can log on but the other three get a 'welcome' and then immediately get a 'Logging Off'' and they can't access anything. Doing my head in. BTW when I run Malware I got 216 dodgy items. Do I need to tick @remove' on all of them.

Do you let the entire street round and use your laptop ? You're forever having problems. Do you not have a router ?

I've messaged you.

Do you have parental controls on the kids accounts? Do you watch what your wife downloads?

these days, you can get a virus from almost anything, and kids will hit the "run" button every time if they get the chance.

get something like Advanced System Care, set up parental and admin controls and "clean" the thing on a regular basis.

Do you let the entire street round and use your laptop ? You're forever having problems. Do you not have a router ?

Definitely think its time Bootser bought himself a nice picture of a sunset, stuck it in a frame, then placed it just above a nice new shiny typewriter.

Had a similar issue issue with my daughter's laptop. Absolutely riddled with malware and trojans. Think I've got rid of a load of them but anybody know a good free parental controls type software? I want something that limits my daughter's websites to a specific list that I provide (i.e. a couple of her school maths / science websites, gmail, etc...).

Spybot - which is free - is also a good programme btw

Had a similar issue issue with my daughter's laptop. Absolutely riddled with malware and trojans. Think I've got rid of a load of them but anybody know a good free parental controls type software? I want something that limits my daughter's websites to a specific list that I provide (i.e. a couple of her school maths / science websites, gmail, etc...).

Spybot - which is free - is also a good programme btw

you can do that with Windows 7. we did it on my son's laptop before he realised the futility of trying to get around the wife's sytem. he probably still goes to sites we don't like, but he's now smart enough not to leave a trace.

just google it and I am sure you'll find some directions.

you can do that with Windows 7. we did it on my son's laptop before he realised the futility of trying to get around the wife's sytem. he probably still goes to sites we don't like, but he's now smart enough not to leave a trace.

just google it and I am sure you'll find some directions.

Frustrating thing is that this is meant to be part of the Windows 7 parental controls, but although I can find parental controls, it's missing the web component, and when I try to download it, it won't let me because it says it's already installed.

Frustrating thing is that this is meant to be part of the Windows 7 parental controls, but although I can find parental controls, it's missing the web component, and when I try to download it, it won't let me because it says it's already installed.

Try doing it through windows explorer, after a google search to get instructions.

have a look here: Internet Explorer Content Advisor - Allow or Block Unrated Websites

(i've never tried it myself.)

alternatively, i found this - again, i've never tried it, but it should work ok.

Quote:

A computer's internet access can be limited to a certain set of websites with the following instructions.

1) Open Internet Explorer

2) Go to Tools > Internet Options

3) On the Connections tab, click "Lan Settings..."

4) Check "Use Proxy Server" and click "Advanced"

5) Under HTTP, enter 127.0.0.1 for the proxy server

6) Enter allowed websites or key words into the box under "Do not use proxy server for addresses beginning with...", separated by semicolons.

ex: http://www.google.com;http://msn.com;*yahoo*

Note: The * denotes a wild card character in the example above, and it tells Internet Explorer to allow any web address containing "yahoo".

found this info in a google search

or, try Content Advisor

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Using-Content-Advisor-to-help-block-inappropriate-web-content

Edited by Nebraska Red

Try doing it through windows explorer, after a google search to get instructions.

have a look here: Internet Explorer Content Advisor - Allow or Block Unrated Websites

(i've never tried it myself.)

alternatively, i found this - again, i've never tried it, but it should work ok.

Quote:

A computer's internet access can be limited to a certain set of websites with the following instructions.

1) Open Internet Explorer

2) Go to Tools > Internet Options

3) On the Connections tab, click "Lan Settings..."

4) Check "Use Proxy Server" and click "Advanced"

5) Under HTTP, enter 127.0.0.1 for the proxy server

6) Enter allowed websites or key words into the box under "Do not use proxy server for addresses beginning with...", separated by semicolons.

ex: http://www.google.com;http://msn.com;*yahoo*

Note: The * denotes a wild card character in the example above, and it tells Internet Explorer to allow any web address containing "yahoo".

found this info in a google search

or, try Content Advisor

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Using-Content-Advisor-to-help-block-inappropriate-web-content

Thanks again - the use proxy server idea works a treat.

The content adviser in IE is absurd as you can't wild card, and you'd need to specify every sub domain (i.e. you'd need to specify BBC, BBC.news, BBC.sport etc rather than just BBC)