By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Ironman

Sir Tokyo Sexwale

I play Coed footy (f*** knows what Coed stands for but it basically means mixed sex team) and one of the girls in my team is really good. She didn't play for us last season though, turns out she was training for a Ironman - I'd heard this, but assumed an Olympic or something - and didn't want to run the risk of injury.

She finished in 15h 57m. That is just purely f***ing insane. Basically it's a 2.4mi swim, something like 100mi bike (it took her 8h) and then a full 26.2 marathon as icing on the 'like I haven't done enough already' cake. She's not even built like Arnie.

People - mates - are trying to get me to run a marathon & while I cope quite admirably with half-marathons, I see 26.2 as just too much. Let alone training twice a day for a 16 hour slog...

I know one of the forumites on here is training for one too, so total respect there, but I'm preserving that person's modesty/right to brag

when I found out there was such a thing as an Ultra-Triathlon I deduced that this was proof that there was not enough institutional care for the lunatics among us.

From fydsipedia:

Distances Swimming Cycling Running Ironman 3.86 km (2.40 mi) 180 km (110 mi) 42.2 km (26.2 mi) Double Ultratriathlon 7.6 km (4.7 mi) 360 km (220 mi) 84.4 km (52.4 mi) Triple Ultratriathlon 11.4 km (7.1 mi) 540 km (340 mi) 126.6 km (78.7 mi) Quadruple Ultratriathlon 15.2 km (9.4 mi) 720 km (450 mi) 168.8 km (104.9 mi) Quintuple Ultratriathlon 19 km (12 mi) 900 km (560 mi) 211 km (131 mi) Deca Ultratriathlon 38 km (24 mi) 1,800 km (1,100 mi) 422 km (262 mi) 10-Days-Triathlon every day 7.5 km every day 200 km every day 50 km or every day 3.86 km every day 180 km every day 42.2 km

Have a look at the world records

yeah, that's my understanding.

Dunno where the educational bit comes in though

think it comes from 'callidge' (ie. college) sports where they originally had men only but at some point let the women in, calling it 'co-educational', later abbreviated to co-ed

They've probably then extended the abbreviation to other areas having forgotten what it origonally meant

Speaking of institutional care, Dick Hoyt was told his son, with cerebral palsy, should be institutionalised as a young kid. Dick however, had a different idea...

"Team Hoyt began in 1977 when Rick became inspired by an article on racing he saw in a magazine.[8] Dick Hoyt was not a runner and was nearly 37 years old. After their first race Rick said, “Dad, when I’m running, it feels like I’m not handicapped.” After their initial five mile run, Dick began running every day with a bag of cement in the wheelchair because Rick was at school and studying, unable to train with him.”[3] Dick was able to improve his fitness so much that even with pushing his son, he was able to obtain a personal record of a 5k in 17 minutes.[9]

As of November 2011, the Hoyts had competed in 1069 endurance events, including 69 marathons and six Ironman triathlons.[10] They had run the Boston Marathon 29 times. Also adding to their list of achievements, Dick and Rick biked and ran across the U.S. in 1992, completing a full 3,735 miles in 45 days.[10][11]

They also compete in triathlons. For the swim portion of the triathlon, Dick uses a rope attached to his body to pull Rick sitting in a boat. For the cycle portion, Rick rides on the front of a specially designed tandem bike.[4][12] For the run portion, Dick pushes Rick in his wheelchair.[6]

Rick turned 50 in 2012 and Dick will be 72. As they speak and travel more, they are racing less. At the beginning of their career, they participated in 50 races per year but now aim for 20-25 races per year. They still say they don't see an end in sight yet.[9]"

Speaking of institutional care, Dick Hoyt was told his son, with cerebral palsy, should be institutionalised as a young kid. Dick however, had a different idea...

"Team Hoyt began in 1977 when Rick became inspired by an article on racing he saw in a magazine.[8] Dick Hoyt was not a runner and was nearly 37 years old. After their first race Rick said, “Dad, when I’m running, it feels like I’m not handicapped.” After their initial five mile run, Dick began running every day with a bag of cement in the wheelchair because Rick was at school and studying, unable to train with him.”[3] Dick was able to improve his fitness so much that even with pushing his son, he was able to obtain a personal record of a 5k in 17 minutes.[9]

As of November 2011, the Hoyts had competed in 1069 endurance events, including 69 marathons and six Ironman triathlons.[10] They had run the Boston Marathon 29 times. Also adding to their list of achievements, Dick and Rick biked and ran across the U.S. in 1992, completing a full 3,735 miles in 45 days.[10][11]

They also compete in triathlons. For the swim portion of the triathlon, Dick uses a rope attached to his body to pull Rick sitting in a boat. For the cycle portion, Rick rides on the front of a specially designed tandem bike.[4][12] For the run portion, Dick pushes Rick in his wheelchair.[6]

Rick turned 50 in 2012 and Dick will be 72. As they speak and travel more, they are racing less. At the beginning of their career, they participated in 50 races per year but now aim for 20-25 races per year. They still say they don't see an end in sight yet.[9]"

Wow, now that really is inspiring. Good on him.

I play Coed footy (f*** knows what Coed stands for but it basically means mixed sex team) and one of the girls in my team is really good. She didn't play for us last season though, turns out she was training for a Ironman - I'd heard this, but assumed an Olympic or something - and didn't want to run the risk of injury.

She finished in 15h 57m. That is just purely f***ing insane. Basically it's a 2.4mi swim, something like 100mi bike (it took her 8h) and then a full 26.2 marathon as icing on the 'like I haven't done enough already' cake. She's not even built like Arnie.

People - mates - are trying to get me to run a marathon & while I cope quite admirably with half-marathons, I see 26.2 as just too much. Let alone training twice a day for a 16 hour slog...

I know one of the forumites on here is training for one too, so total respect there, but I'm preserving that person's modesty/right to brag

The training doesn't have to be that mad, as long as you have built up a decent base. I imagine the biggest problem will be the boredom. Swimming 3.8km is interesting enough, plenty to see and watch out for. Riding 180km, not drafting (i.e. having to stay 10m away from other riders) would be mind-numbing. Then running 42.2km on top of it will be an exercise in pain management. I think I agree with you, it's insane, but f*** it, it will feel great when it's all done.

BTW you should give the marathon a go. With your half-marathon speed, you won't be out there too long.

An Ironman would be on my "To do list".

This time last year, I was planning on doing my first 5km race in December, this year I'm just over two weeks from my first marathon in Dublin.

I have done a few sprint Triathlons and longer distance Duathlons. Long way to go to do the Ironman distance and really need to improve the swimming for stamina and technique but once marathon is done, going back to get lessons in the pool to correct the technique.

I've set myself a target of doing one within 5 years.

Are you familiar with Pablo Blanco? It's a fascinating story and no doubt a film some day.

Caballo Blanco - Born to Run?

An Ironman would be on my "To do list".

This time last year, I was planning on doing my first 5km race in December, this year I'm just over two weeks from my first marathon in Dublin.

I have done a few sprint Triathlons and longer distance Duathlons. Long way to go to do the Ironman distance and really need to improve the swimming for stamina and technique but once marathon is done, going back to get lessons in the pool to correct the technique.

I've set myself a target of doing one within 5 years.

kinell - nice one.

I'm still split on a marathon, just don't think it's good for you. This year I've competed in 4 10K races, 2 half marathons & a 10 miler. I have another half on Sunday and am booked for a 5-miler at the end of the month and a 15K in Dec.

So if I volunteer to marshall one race, those above plus that will get me a guaranteed entry to the NY marathon next year. I fear that if I volunteer, then momentum will overtake me & I'll end up doing it, but if I don't volunteer then I'd have to go through the usual application route & wouldn't bother

kinell - nice one.

I'm still split on a marathon, just don't think it's good for you. This year I've competed in 4 10K races, 2 half marathons & a 10 miler. I have another half on Sunday and am booked for a 5-miler at the end of the month and a 15K in Dec.

So if I volunteer to marshall one race, those above plus that will get me a guaranteed entry to the NY marathon next year. I fear that if I volunteer, then momentum will overtake me & I'll end up doing it, but if I don't volunteer then I'd have to go through the usual application route & wouldn't bother

New York is on everyone's to do list and its a bugger to get in so if you can get in easily (and it sounds like your 75% of the way there) you should take the chance. That said its not the easiest debut and I didn't find it the most exciting course. Also found running on concrete rather than tarmac v difficult but I guess you'd get used to that if you live/train over there.

To summarise... go for it!

kinell - nice one.

Do it! I believe that NY also has a half if you really don't want to do the full distance.

My goal is to break 90 minutes for a half before tackling a full.

you'll do it - I found entering a bunch of races like 15K's and stuff really helpful as you always compete faster & they're a good distance to work on speed.

I knocked 20mins off my half time in little over a year - that said I was very ill-prepared for my first one (I've only done 4) so maybe that first isn't a good base to judge from

I've only run 2 and dropped 5 minutes from the first to the second. What kind of time improvement are you talking about here?

I started running with marathoners and while it was great for developing a base and getting into running they don't really try to run 4:30 kms. It wasn't until I started running with guys who focus on 10km races that I really started to improve.

I went from 1.46 last July - it was about 76 degrees (last weekend of July 2011) in Queens, but that was a last-min thing that a mate had a spare number for; at that point I was only used to 10k's really - I figured "if I can run 6mi, I can run 8. If I can run 8, I can make 9. After 9 it's uncharted water" and it was exactly like that.

Last weekend I ran 1.26 - with a 1.38 & a 1.27 before.

Each one faster than the last

kinell - nice one.

Sorry yeah Caballo Blanco http://relevantscience.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/caballo-blancos-last-run-micah-true.html