By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Allaying fears over Wi-Fi

Hieronymus Bosch

So, I was going to a get a Nexus 7 but my paranoid other half is voicing concerns that, as the Wi-Fi dock is situated next to my daughter's bed (though a wall separates them), she could be exposed to the sort of rays some fear affect heavy mobile phone users.

The Wi-Fi would probably be in use most evenings though the tablet would be used downstairs. Is there any risk to my daughter? I doubt there is but I would like to be able to explain why not, scientifically speaking. Thanks.

Edited by Hieronymus Bosch

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds about right. I always turn the wireless of at home when i'm not on the net. Had a bit to do with mobile phone transmitters and it seems to me there was a bit of move to gloss over any potential health impacts because there was just so much money to be made.

Sigh.

Just to pick on one random fact.

"Wi-Fi radiation is in the frequency range of 2.4 to 2.5 GHz and microwave oven frequency is 2.45 GHz, in which food is heated/cooked. Human body consists of 70% liquid and brain contains 90% liquid.”

The intensity of WiFi is about 100,000 times less than a microwave oven. An oven also targets the microwaves at an object a very short distance away and since waves follow the inverse square law (double the distance and you get a quarter of the energy intensity) so the distances involved are going to lower that greatly.

At the end of day HB is your wife really going to listen to scientific explanations? May be better just to live without for a quieter life.

Simply cut eye holes and one hole for breathing in a sheet of aluminium foil and wrap it round your daughters head at bed time. Hey presto, an effective home-made radiation shield.

standard bed time apparel in our house,

we tried foil slippers as well, but they cut into the skin a few times.

the lead pajamas were a real pain, hard to get out of bed in the morning.

Yeah. Are they same/worse?

From your original post it sounds like you've already got a wifi router, you using a tablet won't change what that does.

Just like if you buy a new radio, it doesn't mean that more radio waves are coming into your house.

At the end of day HB is your wife really going to listen to scientific explanations?

I don't see why not. Is it thought to be risk-free, then?

From your original post it sounds like you've already got a wifi router, you using a tablet won't change what that does.

Just like if you buy a new radio, it doesn't mean that more radio waves are coming into your house.

I usually use my mobile (3G) for the web at home. The Wi-Fi's usually off at the wall. So it's just me getting frazzled at the moment.

I don't see why not. Is it thought to be risk-free, then?

Because people's fears have a tendency to defy logic and rationality at times, especially when it comes to an emotive subject as your children's health. Just look at the hysteria over MMR and vaccination in general.

Edit: Ah. I see you switch your WiFi off. Well, you save some electricity that way, that's for sure.

Edited by Gerry

Because people's fears have a tendency to defy logic and rationality at times, especially when it comes to an emotive subject as your children's health. Just look at the hysteria over MMR and vaccination in general.

Edit: Ah. I see you switch your WiFi off. Well, you save some electricity that way, that's for sure.

Very much so. But as she doesn't know one or another whether it's potentially harmful (in the same way she reckons mobiles are), she doesn't want to take the risk. But if the waves/rays/whatever are known to be harmless/minuscule, then my chipolata fingers will be saying hello to a suitably sized canvas presently.

I think it's fair to say that WiFi is generally thought to be completely risk-free, and you have been wasting money by having internet at home and using your mobile.

Nice one. Luckily, my mobile data allowance is such that I don't have to dip into the coffers too often.

I assume you're equally worried about baby monitors, Bluetooth headsets, etc?

Yes, i don't lose any sleep over it like but the massive boom in devices such as mobile phones and wi fi and all sorts of other gadgets using electro magnetic radiation is a concern. Not for the first time the rush to make some money seems to have outpaced the research into the potential health implications.

It seems safe isn't very convincing.

Yes, i don't lose any sleep over it like but the massive boom in devices such as mobile phones and wi fi and all sorts of other gadgets using electro magnetic radiation is a concern. Not for the first time the rush to make some money seems to have outpaced the research into the potential health implications.

It seems safe isn't very convincing.

Of course there may be health concerns.

But in the absence of any evidence to support such concerns, the most 'scientific' thing is to concentrate your health and safety worries elsewhere.