By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Subbuteo

Sir Tokyo Sexwale

got talking about this in the boozer on Sat night - as you do - jaysus, have you seen the price of this stuff now? You're talking 50 quid minimum for an early-80s team.

I was into it, but not 'Dukla Prague away kit' into it - I had continental goals - no stanchion & coloured nets - I had corner kick takers (s***), the FA Cup & maybe another cup or two and some different match-day balls. Don't remember whether I had the ref or not. But never went trainspotting enough to get the stands.

f***, wish I still had it, it'd be ace to get aled up & play now

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got talking about this in the boozer on Sat night - as you do - jaysus, have you seen the price of this stuff now? You're talking 50 quid minimum for an early-80s team.

Where ?

Can be £200-300 for a rare set but generally 80's teams are cheap ( relatively )

Edited by Earl Hafler

Subbuteo was f***ing ace - spent many an hour playing it when I was younger.

Me too, had a cloth pitch and the astroturf one. A stand, fencing round the pitch, and used to cheat like hell. Used to buy 'blank' teams and paint my own kits on, sad t***. Corner kickers and throw in takers were indeed s****.

Top game for any stupidly sports addicted kid.

I had a rugby one too, with a plastic 'scrum' that you dropped the ball in and had it pop out randomly. Now that was a s*** game.

Edited by Davvo

Me too, had a cloth pitch and the astroturf one. A stand, fencing round the pitch, and used to cheat like hell. Used to buy 'blank' teams and paint my own kits on, sad t***. Corner kickers and throw in takers were indeed s****.

Top game for any stupidly sports addicted kid.

I had the cloth pitch too. Used to put icing sugar on it to make it look like snow - f*** me.

All the teams are still at my dads somewhere but I had a habit of throwing the outer box away meaning that they are pretty much worthless now.

Played footy when the weather allowed it and when it pissed down, came in and played Subbuteo. And that was it for quite a few years.

I had the cloth pitch too. Used to put icing sugar on it to make it look like snow - f*** me.

All the teams are still at my dads somewhere but I had a habit of throwing the outer box away meaning that they are pretty much worthless now.

Played footy when the weather allowed it and when it pissed down, came in and played Subbuteo. And that was it for quite a few years.

Man the icing sugar is a great touch :lol:

I scored some great goals on those pitches, just ask my mum who had to come in and watch all the replays.

Subbuteo and Howzat the ciricket dice type game filled many a rainy day.

we had tons of it as kids.

my dad bought us a half size snooker table , marked out lines and filled in the pockets to make a really good playing surface.

we used to have tournaments during the school holidays and we had a blast.

we gave it all away when I got too old for it, and regretted it a few years later when I saw what the stuff was worth.

today's kids would be bored after 2 minutes, no apps, no daft noises, no remote.

Me and my best mate played this well into our late teens. It was his set but he'd bring it around to my place as there was only one of me where as he had a little c*** of a brother who was forever picking fights with anything vaguely animate. Just the cloth pitch spread out on the floor, no extras, same teams. He never figured out the whole "flick to kick" thing properly so I literally always won. Every Tuesday night for a chunk of the eighties. It's sort of a surreal memory now.but would love another go now!

The idea of it and getting it all set up was better than the actual game.

Correct.

Me and my brother used to sometimes set it up just to look at it or do a freeze-frame recreation of one of Liverpool's goals from the weekend.

I think we even coloured in one of the players to be John Barnes :unsure::o

Gulp.... I've still got my set. teams still boxed etc. and I have things like the TV camera stands etc. THere's not an awful lot of stuff all together but I'm glad I've still got it all. I did keep it all in really good nick - no breakages etc. until I played it with my lad when he was little and he accidentally snapped a couple of players... ah well. Happy memories though.

My oldest brother had the idea of 5 a side style set up. Me mum got some cloth and me dad stretched it over some wood, got wooden sides onit with a space for goals each end. f***ing brilliant took no time to set up, could play 5-7 a side though 6 was usual choice. Our house was full after school and during school holidays for months after.

Twas brilliant.

Lads who were good at subbuteo did my head in. You'd occasionally see these Subbuteo champion types on the telly and not one of them looked like he could put in a tackle or swerve a casey. You have subbuteo cos it looks good. You've got a pitch and a stand and some floodlights in your own bedroom, man, to set up and just have there for the occasional flicking of a ball into the net, but any more than that and you'd be off outside to do keepy-uppies or get a game of three and in, swerving a casey and that.