By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The Ashes

Tommy Cockles

Well we are on Australian soil so its time to start talking about it.

So, what do we think?

I am concerned about our batting. This summer saw the return of the collapse and for me the whole middle order looks vulnerable.

Bowling wise I think the pace attacks look about equal and we are far better on the spin front.

I think if the batting fires we can win but I would take a draw here & now.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

England's to lose.

Which I think they very possibly will.

Can see them making a superstar of a plodder like Bollinger., and I have an odd feeling that Hauritz might surpise people as well. I'd expect Johnson to come good in a couple of Tests too.

In less favourable conditions I can't see our pace attack doing that much damage to them over there, so we'll be too reliant on Swann

don't see another 5-0 coming up but am expecting the Aussies to win, 2-1

If we do win it'll be because someone like KP/Strauss has an epic series

Potentially it is, yeah.

It remainsto be seen if the likes of Finn and Tremlett (if picked) have the kind of impact they could have though.

I think that Finn plays and is well equipped to do well.

I think that the Australian attack is cack to be honest. Only Hilfenhaus is any good.

Additional. Mitchell Johnson is gun barrel straight and has been for 2 years

If he finds some hoopage then it might be different

I think that Finn plays and is well equipped to do well.

I think that the Australian attack is cack to be honest. Only Hilfenhaus is any good.

Additional. Mitchell Johnson is gun barrel straight and has been for 2 years

If he finds some hoopage then it might be different

Oh yeah Finn will play,was meaning Tremlett really in terms of 'if picked'.

He's absolutely got the attributes to do well there, I'd agree with that too, but you just don't know how he'll until you've seen him there. I think a lot of predictions about England winning are based on the large assumption that he'll have a good series.

Johnson can still be a danger.

Apart from the inconsistent Johnson the Aussie bowling really isn't much cop as the Indians proved recently. Agree with the first poster that it will be the battle of the batting units that will decide it.

I think if we bat as a unit a get consistent scores then we will win the series. I would deffo put bell in somewhere as he was on fire at the end of the season but surely collingwood and pietersen will have to step up otherwise they will have to fear for their place in the side

Strauss and Swann are going to be absolutely key.

The rest of our batsmen apart from Trott are not exactly in great form.

I'm worried about our bowling attack in non-swing conditions.

Having said that, they are not a brilliant team.

It's going to be close.

Strauss and Swann are going to be absolutely key.

The rest of our batsmen apart from Trott are not exactly in great form.

I'm worried about our bowling attack in non-swing conditions.

Having said that, they are not a brilliant team.

It's going to be close.

Swann is the best player in the side, he will have a great series whatever happens.

2-1 to England

Edited by muleskinner

As I said earlier in the summer I think Englands attack can struggle to bowl out a decent side twice if its a small target they are defending(if the batsmen feck up).

Hope they win but I think it will be tight again and too close too call???

As I said earlier in the summer I think Englands attack can struggle to bowl out a decent side twice if its a small target they are defending(if the batsmen feck up).

Hope they win but I think it will be tight again and too close too call???

They have got the bowlers to win a test against any side and they can dig in to bat away from home. Be q tight series but I think England will do it.

Apart from the inconsistent Johnson the Aussie bowling really isn't much cop as the Indians proved recently. Agree with the first poster that it will be the battle of the batting units that will decide it.

I think if we bat as a unit a get consistent scores then we will win the series. I would deffo put bell in somewhere as he was on fire at the end of the season but surely collingwood and pietersen will have to step up otherwise they will have to fear for their place in the side

I'd drop Collingwood for Bell. Or Cook.

ponting looks like he will get back to his best.. I think Aussies will beat you lot not 5-0 but dont think bar Sydney you guys even have a chance winning anywhere else..

He's looked weak back of a length though

Be interesting on Ponting

Its a big decision that one, Trott could get Cooks spot but he won't be dropped 1st test, Bell looked good late season, Cook got some runs. If it was me making the decision, Pietersen is out, Bell is in.

No chance

Pietersen is a match winner and one of the few hundred makers in this side

1st test I'd go Strauss Cook Trott Pietersen Bell Morgan Prior Broad Swann Anderson Finn

Or.... Strauss trott Bell KP Collingwood Morgan same from 7 down

I suspect we'll see

Strauss Cook Trott KP Collingwood Bell and the rest the same

I

The Aussies never lose at the Gabba (opening test), we need to make sure we don't lose that one. It often rains late in the day there, we need to use the cloudy conditions when bowling as well

We are capable of winning two matches, and if one is drawn the Ashes stay with us :-).

He's looked weak back of a length though

Be interesting on Ponting

No chance

Pietersen is a match winner and one of the few hundred makers in this side

1st test I'd go Strauss Cook Trott Pietersen Bell Morgan Prior Broad Swann Anderson Finn

Or.... Strauss trott Bell KP Collingwood Morgan same from 7 down

I suspect we'll see

Strauss Cook Trott KP Collingwood Bell and the rest the same

I

Pietersen is totally off form, has been for months and months and doesn't look a century maker. I hope he gets some runs in the warm ups but he can't keep his place ib the form of 2/3 years ago forever.

Pietersen is totally off form, has been for months and months and doesn't look a century maker. I hope he gets some runs in the warm ups but he can't keep his place ib the form of 2/3 years ago forever.

He's been injured and struggled when he came back.

You stick with your class players and he is class.