By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

a stray cat has turned up

Falconhoof

We have moved out of our house for 4 months while building and refurbishment work goes on. Recently a stray, pretty emaciated, cat has turned up that the builders have been feeding chips. Its very friendly and seems to have become attached to the house.

My question to cat owners is, how do I look after it ?

It seems to have adopted us, or our home, and though i'm not really what you would call a cat person I can't turn the poor bugger away.

Should I borrow one of them cat box things and take it to a vet for a checkup ?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question to cat owners is, how do I look after it ?

Should I borrow one of them cat box things and take it to a vet for a checkup ?

Feed it and give it something to drink. If it thinks you're up to the job, it'll stay. If it doesn´t, it won't.

Getting it seen by a vet is probably a good idea.

I think I will keep it. Will definately take it to a vet though, poor thing looks like its been neglected for some time.

My daughter will be over the moon when she sees it, so all in all its a good thing the cat came to our house because I don't think I was ever going to go out and get a cat.

Will it do its business in the litter tray, there's probably a whole art to training that.

Need a name.

I think I will keep it. Will definately take it to a vet though, poor thing looks like its been neglected for some time.

My daughter will be over the moon when she sees it, so all in all its a good thing the cat came to our house because I don't think I was ever going to go out and get a cat.

Will it do its business in the litter tray, there's probably a whole art to training that.

Need a name.

Graham

Shanks

Stalin

Faeces

I've had plenty of cats in the past (the last three have all been called Koshka (Russian for 'Cat') but before that I did have a 'Shanks' and a 'Stalin' (and a Max and a Fagan) :D

A mate back in Kirkby call ed his 'F*ck off - just so he could say things like 'F*ck off - come here!' ...just made him sound as if he had that strain of Tourettes.

Need a name.

Not really. Just make sure you show her the tray once its down oh and put it in a quiet location. Make sure you put her in it so she can have a sniff around and get used to it, good idea to hold her paw and use it to dig up a few holes in the litter. After that its just a question of keeping an eye on her, when they wanna go they will either hang around the back door (if thats the one she uses to get in and out) looking suspicious :D, or scratch at it in an attempt to get out or head for a corner of a room. Just pick her up and take her to the tray, probably need to do this a few time but generally after they have used it once its sorted. Also a good idea to put her in after meals, BTW keep it away from her eating area and keep it clean i.e. scoop the poop.

You might be lucky as she may already be trained, or you could just install a cat flap.

Not really. Just make sure you show her the tray once its down oh and put it in a quiet location. Make sure you put her in it so she can have a sniff around and get used to it, good idea to hold her paw and use it to dig up a few holes in the litter. After that its just a question of keeping an eye on her, when they wanna go they will either hang around the back door (if thats the one she uses to get in and out) looking suspicious :D, or scratch at it in an attempt to get out or head for a corner of a room. Just pick her up and take her to the tray, probably need to do this a few time but generally after they have used it once its sorted. Also a good idea to put her in after meals, BTW keep it away from her eating area and keep it clean i.e. scoop the poop.

You might be lucky as she may already be trained, or you could just install a cat flap.

feck opening the door for the cat all the time. Get one of those fancy cat flaps .....this will mean getting the cat chipped.....but you will also be safe in the knowledge no other cats can get in ....unless it's queueing up behind yours. Mind you will probably need to spend the best part of £200 for that happen.....the chipped cat flap thing not cats queueing behind yours. If you are prepared to pay £200 to see cats queueing then drop me a line I will be happy to arrange it. I am good like that me!! No thought for myself just happy to see pleasure in others.

Need a name.

You may find that the cat is already trained. If you weren't going to keep it, deliver it to the Blue Cross or RSPCA who will take it in. However, if you decide to keep it and it is female, then the next decision is if you should get it neutered. Before you do that, you should be advised that kittens these days can be sold at £60 each! (If it is a pedigree, such as a Siamese, you are looking at £500). Yours is obviously an ordinary moggy. You might want to consider a sleeping cushion or a scratching post as well. if you keep it.

When I was a kid we had a cat; it died and then hey presto the next day a stray cat turned up at the house like it had heard there was a vacancy!

At the time it appeared I was watching Brewster's Millions with my Dad, so we named the cat Brewster (which was something it had to deal with as the cat was a girl). It was absolutely boss - really affectionate, lived with us for 10 years until we had to have her put down when she got cancer. Chances are if it has a decent temperament the cat will really appreciate its new, presumably kinder owners and your daughter will be made up with it!

We have dogs now as my wife had a bearded collie when we met, but having had cats in the house all through my young life for about 20 years if you get a nice one they are good company.