Dissertation help...

Zoob

I'm trying to finalise a questionnaire for my thesis, and would be most grateful if some of you could answer a few questions.

If any of the questions are unclear, please do feel free to point this out, as it will help me to refine them... In terms of format - this will be done as a web survey, so presentation / routing will be much different...

Cheers...

Q1) Have you ever heard of hospital patients having some level of awareness whilst under general anesthetic for a surgical procedure?

Q1a) - If you answered yes to the previous question -

Where did you hear about such a phenomenon?

(Q2)

Awareness when under anesthetic is a phenomenon whereby a patient under general anesthetic for surgery at some point becomes aware of what is going on around them. This could be limited to recalling hearing things (for example the conversations of the surgical team) but in it’s most extreme form could also include being paralysed, or feeling pain, but being unable to say or do anything about it

If you were going to undergo surgery under general anesthetic, would you want to be informed that around 1 in 500 patients have some level of awareness when under anesthetic?

1.Yes

2. No

(Q3a)

Would you want to be made aware of this possibility even if it only affected 1 in every 10,000 patients?

(Q3b) How much information on this phenomenon would you like to have?

Please give your answer using a 10 point scale where 10 = I prefer all the information there is, and 1 = I prefer as little information as possible

(Q3c) Which of the following would you like information about: (select all that apply)

1. Why this phenomenon might happen

2. How often it tends to happen

3. Whether any people or types or surgery are more likely to result in awareness

4. The different kinds of awareness experiences

5. Who to speak to about this if it did happen

6. Other (please specify)

(Q4a) To what extent do you agree or disagree with the following statement:

Being made aware of potential complications related to surgery would increase my concerns about a forthcoming operation

1. Agree strongly

2. Agree slightly

3. Neither agree nor disagree

4. Disagree slightly

5. Disagree strongly

6. Don’t know

(Q4b)

And to what extent do you agree or disagree with the following statement:

I would like to be made aware of all potential complications, regardless of how rarely they may occur

1. Agree strongly

2. Agree slightly

4. Disagree slightly

5. Disagree strongly

6. Don’t know

(Q4c)

And to what extent do you agree or disagree with the following statement:

Being made aware of a potential complication would make me less aggrieved about it should it occur

1. Agree strongly

2. Agree slightly

4. Disagree slightly

5. Disagree strongly

6. Don’t know

(Q5)

Do you think that being aware of the phenomenon of Awareness would increase or decrease your concerns about a forthcoming surgery under general anesthetic?

1. Would make me much more concerned

2. Would make me slightly more concerned

3. Would not make any difference

4. Would make me slightly less concerned

5. Would make me much less concerned

6. Don’t know

(Q5a) Do you think that being aware of the phenomenon of Awareness might make you consider canceling a surgical procedure (due to be performed under general anesthetic)?

1. I would not consider canceling my surgery under any circumstances

2. I would consider canceling the surgery if my medical condition wasn’t life threatening

3. I would consider canceling the surgery regardless of whether or not my medical condition was life threatening

4. It would depend on how much information I received from the surgical team

Q6)

How would you feel about undergoing a surgical procedure where you would be told that during the surgery you would feel discomfort / pain, but later on would have no memory of this?