By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

cheap laptop advice

Spike

Probably off topic slightly in that this would not usually affect the cheaper end of the market, but avoid any laptop with a dedicated Nvidia 8000 series graphics chip. (E.g 8400m, 8600m etc) And maybe even the newer 9000 series.

Practically ALL 8000 series mobile chips are defective. Some fail very quickly others after some time whilst some will continue to work, but its a complete random timebomb due to substandard substrate packaging.

If you currently own such a laptop then avoid repeat power on / off cycles. The issues arise mainly out of heat cycles on the chip, so the more you do this, potentially the quicker it will fail.

Nvidia are having to cough up $200m to vendors such as HP and Dell to help with cost of repairs and repalcements.

Do not get an ACER Laptop....They look good but their failure ratio is probably worse than that of the Xbox 360, My advice is to go for a Dell Laptop

• 4 weeks later...

I am after a netbook and mobile dongle thingy ( I think)

So net book choices seem to be:

Dell Inspiron Mini 9

Acer Aspire One

EEE something or other

and for mobile acces where wifi is not available - what do i need - am I better to get a contract or a pay as you go ( no heavy downloading needed just mail and net access).

Any recommendations?

I want one of those tiny little comps

These netbooks are something I've been interested in over the last year, and am currently on my third - the Asus eee 901.

I would wholeheartedly recommend it - in fact, I don't use my desktop at home anymore.

Best bit of advice would be to find a shop that has them on display. Check out the two common sizes, 9" and 10". If you prefer the smaller size of the 901, and won't have any problems with the keyboard, then I don't think there is anything that can touch it in that class. If you think you can handle 10" (oo-errr missus!), I would recommend the eee 1000. The Samsung NC10 may be worth considering too - it has had some very positive reviews, and the keyboard on it looks very good.

All of the others, from what I've seen, are flawed in some way or other.

Finally, if you're feeling flush, the Asus eee S101 is probably the best looking of all the netbooks out there and is very lightweight and slim.

These netbooks are something I've been interested in over the last year, and am currently on my third - the Asus eee 901.

I would wholeheartedly recommend it - in fact, I don't use my desktop at home anymore.

Best bit of advice would be to find a shop that has them on display. Check out the two common sizes, 9" and 10". If you prefer the smaller size of the 901, and won't have any problems with the keyboard, then I don't think there is anything that can touch it in that class. If you think you can handle 10" (oo-errr missus!), I would recommend the eee 1000. The Samsung NC10 may be worth considering too - it has had some very positive reviews, and the keyboard on it looks very good.

All of the others, from what I've seen, are flawed in some way or other.

Finally, if you're feeling flush, the Asus eee S101 is probably the best looking of all the netbooks out there and is very lightweight and slim.

Do not get an ACER Laptop....They look good but their failure ratio is probably worse than that of the Xbox 360, My advice is to go for a Dell Laptop

have had an acer aspire laptop for about two and a half years now and never had one spot of bother with it, it's been fantastic value for money. nothing like the numerous dells, toshibas and compaqs that i had for work which had everything possible go wrong with them.